Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

fork springs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Squid

boxdogracing is on a distinguished road
Question fork springs?

From what I've read the front springs should be one of the first things to be addressed. I weigh about 180# and mostly just run on the street, but would like to try some track days this summer. Can you guys suggest springs and where to find them, also what about dampening. My bike already has some mods Jardine exhaust, k+n, jets, steering damper, gsxr brakes. So I'am late to the game in suspension.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:57 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Get some race tech gold valves and new springs for your weight.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Squid

boxdogracing is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zmaniv
Get some race tech gold valves and new springs for your weight.
Where would I find them?
Old 03-03-2010, 07:39 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Almost any parts house in the book is going to sell Racetech springs. Parts Unlimited, Indy Superbikes, Motorcycle Superstore, Etc. Racetech has a chart on their website that will tell you what spring rate to use for your weight. Remember it's your weight when you are fully geared up.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Send them to me and have me revalve and respring for your weight. Going the full RT route it's $447 + shipping. I charge $350 + shipping and get better results. PM if interested.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:39 PM
MotoGP

Yup! Hawkrider has built two sets for me and it's the best deal on the planet. I did install a Penske in the rear at the same time but the change of behavior in the front saved my life. That's why we had to do it twice.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:34 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
+1, after i spent a couple of years on forks with the proper springs i finally sent them across the country for 'hawkrider' aka greg to revalve them. money well spent.

tim
Old 03-05-2010, 07:22 AM
Superstock

ttocsmai is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Send them to me and have me revalve and respring for your weight. Going the full RT route it's $447 + shipping. I charge $350 + shipping and get better results. PM if interested.
Hawk, do you do other types of bikes also. I have a old Magna that I want redone to bring it back to life.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by boxdogracing
also what about dampening.
So you have a problem with the bike getting wet??? ......lol
Sorry kind of a pet peeve.... it's damping (controlling the action of the spring) not dampening (getting something wet)
Old 03-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ttocsmai
Hawk, do you do other types of bikes also. I have a old Magna that I want redone to bring it back to life.
I'd rather not. I'm 90% sure those are damper rod forks and there's just not a whole lot you can do with 'em without major modification. Have you tried changing out the fork oil? Maybe play with different viscosities to get what you're looking for. Springs are easy and I wouldn't recommend sending them across the country for just a respring. That is something you should be able to do yourself if you have some basic tools.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:39 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
Remember it's your weight when you are fully geared up.
FYI - Most places want your weight in street clothes.

In case anyone is interested, my charge to revalve the forks with new RaceTech compression valves and reshimmed stock rebound valves is $205. Add $85 for new fork springs and you would be all set! This setup would be perfect for the street and trackday rider.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:23 PM
MotoGP

My place is Hawkrider's basement and he wants to know the weight of the rider in full gear, the condition of the prevailing road conditions, your relative style of riding and a **** load of other questions before he tunes a set of forks for a client. FYI
Old 03-06-2010, 06:33 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Your typical rider does not usually know their weight with gear, so I ask for the weight in street clothes. My calculations include a compensation for a helmet and jacket, which often does not make that much of a difference really. I also ask for type of riding (commuting, weekend canyon trips, track days, passenger, etc). The answers to these questions will skew the setup one way or another from a standard/base setup for that rider's weight. The key is having the experience to know where that starting point is so that you can create a setup that is workable for the rider.