Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

few newb questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Back Marker

havoc7685 is on a distinguished road
few newb questions.

1. Where's the dial disk adjuster thingy on the clutch suppose to be set at? Hope you guys know wat I'm trying to say.
2. My carbs are dirty an need cleaned I know this. But I went to replace the air fillter today an while it was off thought I'd spray some carb cleaner in there an work the throttle. I noticed wen I did the "front"(closet to the front of the bike) "breather" I think its called, the goldish thing that flips open an close when you hit the gas dsnt flip! Is that cuz its in neutrul or is it broke?
3. The slider also comes down faster then the rear one. A lot faster but dsnt like just drop it has that springy pressure feel.
Hopefully you guys can decifer an understand all that babble lol thanx guys
Old 10-16-2010, 05:39 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
The adjuster allows you to change the distance from the grip to clutch lever so that it's an easy reach when you want to pull in the clutch. Find a position that's comfortable for you. If your hands are small, rotate the adjuster until the lever is closer to the grip . If your hands are big, rotate the adjuster so that the lever is farther from the grip. There is no correct position for all riders. Pull the lever away from the grip to use the adjuster. Just be sure the adjuster is in the detent when you finish the adjustment.
Is the goldish thing that you're referring to the disc that pivots in the carb throat when the throttle is rotated? If it's not opening when you open the throttle, there's a problem. You should be able to see it open when you hold the slide open and rotate the throttle.
The slides should close at the same rate. The diaphragm on the front slide may be damaged or it may not be seated properly.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:40 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by havoc7685
1. Where's the dial disk adjuster thingy on the clutch suppose to be set at? Hope you guys know wat I'm trying to say.
2. My carbs are dirty an need cleaned I know this. But I went to replace the air fillter today an while it was off thought I'd spray some carb cleaner in there an work the throttle. I noticed wen I did the "front"(closet to the front of the bike) "breather" I think its called, the goldish thing that flips open an close when you hit the gas dsnt flip! Is that cuz its in neutrul or is it broke?
3. The slider also comes down faster then the rear one. A lot faster but dsnt like just drop it has that springy pressure feel.
Hopefully you guys can decifer an understand all that babble lol thanx guys
1. That's personal preference, depending on how close you want the lever to the bar.

2. The SuperHawk has a cable controlled throttle, so if both "throttle plates" are not opening the same amount at the same time, something is wrong with the link between carbs.

3. You could have a pinhole in the diaphragm that comes down faster.

Also don't spray more than a quick shot of carb spray into the carbs while they are mounted on the engine. Carb spray could run into the cylinders and wash the oil off the pistons and cylinder walls, causing scoring and diluting the oil.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Back Marker

That's the word I was looking for! Pivot!!!! Lol. Alright well atleast I know there's an issue now thank you very much that was extremely helpfull!!! That should all be taken care of when I take it to the shop for the carb cleaning, hopefully they dnt rape my wallet lol
Old 10-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Back Marker

O wow I didn't know that about the carb spray!! Thanx. An thank you for the other info. I'll check the linkage tomorrow an c wat I can't find b4 i take it to shop.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Back Marker

Ok so now my slide on the front carb isn't opening! Is this one of those things I gotta dig into the carbs to fix? If so I'm just gonna wait till I can affored to take it to the shop because I have no idea what I'm doin lol!!! All I know is this is driven me crazy
Old 10-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Does it still have the small foam sub-filters (2) in the corners of the air box after you remove the filter?
Old 10-18-2010, 03:09 PM
Back Marker

Yeah it still has them.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
I was just asking because you see those kind of problems when they are missing and the slides are full of dirt.

In any case, the carbs need to be pulled and cleaned & repaired.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Back Marker

O I see. Well they deff look like the cld b replaced, the filters that is. Guess I shlda ordered some wen I ordered the main one. Thanx for the help looks like my babys goin to the shop for a day or 3 thanx again guys