Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Evap emission control removal help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 10:09 PM
Squid

gotbeef
Evap emission control removal help

i bought a vtr with evap emission and PAIR setup removed. I had a mechanic take a look at it really fast and he told me that many of the hoses are connected incorrectly. can somebody walk me through this? there are seriously about 5 nipples with nothing connected to them and few hoses just dangling with no caps... also the pair system looks like it's been sealed up with chewing gum... HELP!!!!! pictures would be very appreciated! thanks!
Old 08-02-2005, 10:37 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Evap emission control removal help

well i'm assuming that you want to keep it off of your bike and that you do not have emissions testing in your area.... i just went through a bunch of crap, failing emissions and had to buy a pair valve off ebay and re-hook it all up.

-first off... remove the pair reed valve.... silver doo-dad on top of the valve cover.
--next, take that reed stopper and flip it over to keep the reed shut, remember to use thread lock when reassmbeling. do that to the one on the other valve cover too.
----next buy some rubber caps at checker or autozone or pep-boys and cap them off. "note:.... those caps have a short life span... try to fabricate a plate to cover up the pair reed valve for a long-term fix."
-----next remove the pair suction valve that underneath your airbox... but i assume that's long gone. plug off that hole that is next to that post on the bottom of the airbox and voila.. your done.

now if the guy who did this to your bike is as dumb as the guy who did it to my bike, he routed the hose's from each pair valve into the valve cover vent hose's....... that's a no- no... make sure those vent hose's are venting into the airbox where they should be. nothing to it other than that.
my advice is.... if you have all of the components to the pair system to just leave it on... it doesn't hurt performance... i really don't understand all the hub-bub about removing it.
if this wasn't helpful check out greg's v-twin website. lots of useful information, including pair removal... the right way. click on the "vtr1000f" link at the top.... the click on "performance and mods" then click on "PAIR System Removal" he goes through it step by step.

hope this helps you out! good luck!