Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

did some mods, VERY happy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Squid

AMF Racing
did some mods, VERY happy!

well I did the 15/43 sprockets, 520 chain, speed o healer, and valve adjustment today. all i can say is WOW. the bike is an absolute blast to ride, should have done this mod 20k miles ago. my stock chain lasted me 23k miles, and recently some of the rollers in the chain became missing. made it STUPID loud and impossible to adjust. this is by far the best mod I have done to the bike. no highway cruisin yet, but it def revs a lot faster and gets into the power way sooner. here's where i got the sprockets and chain from, great deal IMO.....

http://www.sumofallparts.net/product...e-0caed8b5eca1
Old 08-14-2009, 05:28 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
get on the highway some and tell me if i should get a 520 16T front; seemed like most said it was a bit buzzy at speed on long highway drones... I got the same kit, but haven't put it on yet...
Old 08-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Back Marker

hawkman996 is on a distinguished road
I've had the hawk geared 15/43 for over three years now. I went through one vortech rear sprocket in 4k miles, a afam rear in 7500miles, and now I have a steel suncoast to last me. I ride 50 mile round trips daily with over half of that on the highway and it never bugged me. If you are worried get a 15/42 combo....it will give you most of the extra low gear you want and be a little better on the highway.

Congrats on the new set-up AMF.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
Okay, that looks like a smok'en deal. $149.00
What are everyone's expirience with alu vs. steel spockets?
Just wondering if I should pony up the extra $$$$ to go with a steel sprocket set up....
Old 08-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by SD Hawk
Okay, that looks like a smok'en deal. $149.00
What are everyone's expirience with alu vs. steel spockets?
Just wondering if I should pony up the extra $$$$ to go with a steel sprocket set up....
If you go aluminum stay away from vortech....mine only last 4k and the teeth were badly worn. It is very light weight but for street riding I'd stay away. The afam is nicer and will give you almost double the mileage and is still light. I'm on my third sprocket and I went steel this time because I got tired of swapping them out. The steel should last 15-20k miles like my stock sprocket did.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:28 PM
Squid

AMF Racing
imo steel defeats the purpose of a 520 chain conversion....the idea is to loose weight. i'm not worried if they only last like 4k miles or so, they arent that expensive to buy. took it on the highway tonight for a little. with my jardine its not buzzy at all, def notice the higher rpm's, but its not a big deal. most of my riding is city so this setups is sweet.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by AMF Racing
imo steel defeats the purpose of a 520 chain conversion....the idea is to loose weight. i'm not worried if they only last like 4k miles or so, they arent that expensive to buy. took it on the highway tonight for a little. with my jardine its not buzzy at all, def notice the higher rpm's, but its not a big deal. most of my riding is city so this setups is sweet.
The weight difference is very minimal if you get the right steel sprocket. I liked the weight loss too until I had to keep replacing sprockets. That was when I was commuting on the hawk almost everyday.

I agree the extra weight lossed from the vortech is great but on the street it will not matter much.

I agree the higher rpm's on the highway does not bother me.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
I would be concerned that as aluminum sprockets wear, they are affecting the life of the chain by causing some stretch. Steel sprockets should protect chain life as well as lasting longer.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:10 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Steel sprockets are the only way to go on a streetbike. I have 15/43 also, and will never go back to stock.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:00 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
You could always use both steel and aluminum. I just installed a Supersprox the other day. It looks like they have a 520 setup that would work too.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Squid

AMF Racing
gotcha, we'll see how long it lasts. i def think the bike should have come geared this way. it makes the bike feel lighter and as if it has a ton more power.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:07 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by AMF Racing
gotcha, we'll see how long it lasts. i def think the bike should have come geared this way. it makes the bike feel lighter and as if it has a ton more power.
Yes that gearing combo is damn near perfect. I like how after the swap I could leave it in 6th on the highway and when I grab a handful of throttle she goes. Before she would bog and a year later I would be moving! haha
Old 08-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
i work at dealership, sale parts, up under my couputer i have an intergrated tail light, competition werkes foot pegs, 520 gold x-ring chain, 41 tooth sunstart steel sprocket, and 17 tooth front, i want more top end, and k&n, and jet kit, has crappy d&d s on it when i bought it, i have some jardine rt-one polished high mount cans when get time 2 put it all on, workin 2 full time jobs right now...
Old 08-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
IMO 520 chain conversions are a total waste of money.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Back Marker

Vega (streetfighter) is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by COLE
i work at dealership, sale parts, up under my couputer i have an intergrated tail light, competition werkes foot pegs, 520 gold x-ring chain, 41 tooth sunstart steel sprocket, and 17 tooth front, i want more top end, and k&n, and jet kit, has crappy d&d s on it when i bought it, i have some jardine rt-one polished high mount cans when get time 2 put it all on, workin 2 full time jobs right now...

Why would you put a 17 tooth front sprocket on the bike? That would make the gearing taller. The absolute opposite of what everyone else on here is trying to acomplish. I understand more top end, but doesnt it take hell of long to accelerate with a top gear roll on with how you have it set up?
Old 08-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
You're not even able to reach redline in 6th with stock gearing, let alone a front 17 tooth.