Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Looking for ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Squid

Johnathan.fine is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Looking for ideas.

How is everyone, I'm looking for inside ideas, I have a 98 SH with 22k on it completely stock. im gonna tear it down this winter and looking for performance ideas. I am planning on the PAIR block off, new coils and TPS, the CCT upgrade, slip ons, and probably some HC pistons and mild cams. I want to do a front end swap but that might have to wait a while. Any ideas for other mods or am i just close to everything motor wise without grenading my engine.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Johnathan.fine
How is everyone, I'm looking for inside ideas, I have a 98 SH with 22k on it completely stock. im gonna tear it down this winter and looking for performance ideas. I am planning on the PAIR block off, new coils and TPS, the CCT upgrade, slip ons, and probably some HC pistons and mild cams. I want to do a front end swap but that might have to wait a while. Any ideas for other mods or am i just close to everything motor wise without grenading my engine.
As far as your list of mods go it looks like a good list that will surly keep you busy for a long Winter...I'd suggest getting the flywheel lighted...I think I took off 4 lbs when I did mine: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=17262
Old 09-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by FL02SupaHawk996
As far as your list of mods go it looks like a good list that will surly keep you busy for a long Winter...I'd suggest getting the flywheel lighted...I think I took off 4 lbs when I did mine: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=17262
thanks for the input would i have to buy a lightened flywheel like with a car or have my factory one lightened
Old 09-01-2009, 10:09 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Read that thread, lots of discussion about it. Who took off how much and why. Use your flywheel, there isn't a aftermarket one available, or look on ebay and ebay.co.uk to find a used one to have lightened.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Johnathan.fine
thanks for the input would i have to buy a lightened flywheel like with a car or have my factory one lightened
A good machine shop can do it for ya! I think I paid $100 to have it done. Send me a PM for further details...RC
Old 09-01-2009, 10:11 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
here's a used one on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...Q5fAccessories
Old 09-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Squid

Thanks again hopefully these mods will boost her power and I hope get rid of her problem of running to rich or too lean and dropping the rear cylinder its been acting funny since I bought it 3 years ago and have had the carbs cleaned and rebuilt the tank clean etc. I know it has one bad coil I hope thats its problem so I am buying both coils along with the TPS and everything else I hope it will come alive and run better then it ever has once these are completed
Old 09-01-2009, 10:57 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FL02SupaHawk996

You must have weighed it before with the primary gear attached and after without it to get that kind of weight loss.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...7&postcount=61

Last edited by killer5280; 09-01-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:06 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I am assuming you have read a bunch and have your heart set on the motor-mods. but just so you know by far the biggest and most noticeable mods and bang for buck are suspension related and brakes. You will notice a dramatic difference every ride and circumstances. By far these are the changes that have transformed my bike the most.

For the engine, you can spend a lot of time and dollars for 10hp above a slip on and jetting. Not saying its not worth it, especially if you enjoy it. hell, I certainly did it. but the added mods (HC piston, cams, valve/port work, full exhaust) are all inter-dependent and simply adding one or two doesn't get nearly the gain you'd think or can get as a package. that I do know from experience as i proceeded step-wise. So pick carefully - you can do a lot with slip-on, jetting, gearing changes, cam timing and lightened flywheel that will get you 80% of the feel with a lot less cost/work. When you figure cost don't forget to add in all the necessary gaskets, bolts, bearings you'll need to replace as you do a complete rebuild also - it adds up.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:32 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cliby
I am assuming you have read a bunch and have your heart set on the motor-mods. but just so you know by far the biggest and most noticeable mods and bang for buck are suspension related and brakes. You will notice a dramatic difference every ride and circumstances. By far these are the changes that have transformed my bike the most.

For the engine, you can spend a lot of time and dollars for 10hp above a slip on and jetting. Not saying its not worth it, especially if you enjoy it. hell, I certainly did it. but the added mods (HC piston, cams, valve/port work, full exhaust) are all inter-dependent and simply adding one or two doesn't get nearly the gain you'd think or can get as a package. that I do know from experience as i proceeded step-wise. So pick carefully - you can do a lot with slip-on, jetting, gearing changes, cam timing and lightened flywheel that will get you 80% of the feel with a lot less cost/work. When you figure cost don't forget to add in all the necessary gaskets, bolts, bearings you'll need to replace as you do a complete rebuild also - it adds up.
I'll 2nd this.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Squid

Nice to know I have been trying to locate some devil highmount exhaust last I heard they quit importing devil exhaust stateside has this changed