Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Diablo vs. Pilot Power

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 02:18 AM
Back Marker

oicdn
Diablo vs. Pilot Power

How's the wear on the new Pilot Powers?

I've ridden Diablo's and was QUITE satisfied with thier grip, profile, and insane amount of mileage I got on them. When I sold my R6, I had over 5K miles on the rear...mostly highway miles, with it just getting that square profile....I had prolly about 1000 miles left on them. For such a sticky tire, it sure did last a damn long time.

The tires on my Brutale right now, only have just over 2K miles on them. Are Michelin Pilot Sports and prolly have at the very most, 1000 miles left, and that's pushing it. I was looking to go up to Pilot Powers, as in Sport riders "street tire shootout" the Powers had the least amount of wear and the most predictable characteristics, albeit a bit slower than others from full lean to full lean, was supple and gripped best of the bunch.

I'm just curious on wear. Will they die like other tires at 1-2K miles? I know they have the harder compound in the center with the softer on the sides. And silicia technology furthering thier life, but has anybody ridden both to give a comparo?

Considering I ride more commuting than carving, I was considering a Diablo Strada, but they didn't have the 190 rear, nor a 65 front. Hell, I was considering a sport touring type tire like a Macadam, but am concerned with grip when I do go to carve it up. The tires on here right now are so damn sticky and confidance inspiring.

Any suggestions? I definitly love the grip and characteristics of the Pilot sports, and the Powers are supposed to be grippier and last even longer (isn't it the updated Pilot Sport? Like the 208 was to the 207?), I just can't afford to be replacing tires every month or two....

I'm definitly wanting grip, but don't want to completely sacrifice mileage. The only "touring tires" I've ever ridden on were D207s, and D205s. 207's don't really count, as they were factory on ym R6, but they sure as hell felt and wore like a touring tire. No grip and lasted literally 9K miles The 205's were like riding on a plastic wheel. Where the hell the rubber was for grip, who the hell knows. But if that's how all touring tires are, **** that

Anybody have a suggestion? Thanks in advance...
Old 04-17-2006, 08:26 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Obviously, the trade-off for sticky rubber is low mileage. The Diablos do just fine, and my friend was able to do three trackdays and a little over 8k miles of commuting on his.

I just chalk up tires as maintenance costs.

FWIW, my other friend has a set of Pilot Powers on his 996 and they've lasted very well so far. Probably won't reach 8k miles, but even 5-6k is decent.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:30 AM
SuperSport

Loco
Powers ran like a dream at the track. The michelin man said they have more traction at cold than the pilot race even. As far as predictability, I felt very comfortable, even when at full lean around a bumpy high-speeder. Full lean to full lean is fine, I haven't run diablos so I can't give a full comparo, but Powers are great tires for the money and you will get good mileage out of them, even as a track tire.

I say this because I have two sets of rims, and I wanted to get a set of race compound tires on one, and either Powers or Roads on the other. I finally went with just one set of Powers to do both tasks. My buddy has now ridden two trackdays with his, plus about 1000 miles street and his tires are still in great condition.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:45 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I did 4 track days and some miles on Bridgestone bt 014's and then sold them to cliffhanger. They still had plenty of street life left but I was going back to the track so they had to go. I really need 2 sets of rims as well but the RC51 front rim is expensive! I just mounted some dunlop Qualifiers we'll see how they perform this weekend at the track.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:09 AM
SuperSport

Loco
are you doing the CMRA at Texas World or you going to barber?
Old 04-17-2006, 02:10 PM
MotoGP

Nope, going to the usual spot, Jenningsgp. I'm going to try and break 1:30 this time which should be interesting on new tires and shock. Last time I did a 1:35 we shall see but the main objective is still to keep everything in one piece.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Diablo vs. Pilot Power

I had the pilot power race on my superhawk and only got 3500 miles on them. I tend to be pretty hard on tires though. But the grip was superb!! very confidence inspiring. but I installed a m1 sportech just in time for them to come out with the m3. just my luck. I think most sport tires are fairly good?
Old 04-17-2006, 08:37 PM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
i just got pilot powers and like sprhawk neil said they're very confidence inspiring... That was one of the biggest gains over the older tires as I wasn't too confident in the old ones. Also of course these offer arguably the second best stickiness for street rubber (qualifiers have been proven to be faster). I'll prob run these over the summer and switch to a slightly harder compound mid fall and over the winter (I never stop riding :P)
Old 04-18-2006, 06:20 AM
Back Marker

bkelsey
Originally Posted by sprhawk neil";p=&quot
I had the pilot power race on my superhawk and only got 3500 miles on them. I tend to be pretty hard on tires though. But the grip was superb!! very confidence inspiring. but I installed a m1 sportech just in time for them to come out with the m3. just my luck. I think most sport tires are fairly good?
How are those M1's on the SH? Since they came out with the M3, you supposedly can get some good deals on the M1's.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:52 AM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my sportec m-1 for 113.00 usd. from motorcycle-superstore.com that was a delivered price!! So far I'm happy with it but I've only put about 500 miles on it.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:38 AM
Squid

redline76

I had a set of Sportec M1s on until Friday when I had a set of Pilot Powers put on (raped at $122 labor charge, but anyways)

Either new tires are confidence inspiring or the Pilots are the shizznit, but I'm finally running the edges off of the rear, something I could never do on the Sportecs.

The bike isn't as flickable for some reason but it's unbelievably stable and sticks like glue. If this is the tradeoff, so be it; it feels like I put on a new Penske in the back, the handling is that different.

I'm a fan.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:53 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot
Nope, going to the usual spot, Jenningsgp. I'm going to try and break 1:30 this time which should be interesting on new tires and shock. Last time I did a 1:35 we shall see but the main objective is still to keep everything in one piece.
Well I didn't have anyone there to time me this time but I did time my buddy who ran a 1:35 and I was faster then he was so maybe a 1:30 but not sure. That being said the Qualifiers held up well in 90 degree heat and I never lost any traction except in pouring rain for 2 sessions on sat. They felt quick on turn in and held and changed lines with no fuss at all, so I'll give them a thumbs up for now.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:16 AM
SuperSport

Loco
1:30 in the pouring rain huh...
Old 04-24-2006, 11:51 AM
MotoGP

Yes wise *** in the pouring rain and then I broke the track record that Pascal Picotte just set last week with a 1:14! Then I bought a million dollar house for 150,000 what a weekend! I think I ran about 1:40's in the rain still faster than some of the others out there in the sunshine sheesh there was some sloooow guys out there this weekend.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:18 PM
SuperSport

Loco
What was it like passing Valentino Rossi in turn 3?
Old 04-24-2006, 02:28 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Loco";p=&quot
What was it like passing Valentino Rossi in turn 3?
It was a little tight but it was much more fun passing Nicky Hayden on one wheel through turn 12.