Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Devil Exhaust review

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 07:50 AM
Squid

redline76
Devil Exhaust review

I bought a former member's VTR about a month ago and have been tweaking bits and pieces, although he had already done most everything I was going to do anyways.

He had a Remus high mount on it but sold it before I ever saw the bike, so I knew the bike needed something.

It was a toss up between Indigo (basically Leo Vince) and Devil, as I wanted high mount carbon cans that would keep the passenger pegs.

In the end, I went with Devil and put 'em on last night.

Out of the box, the cans themselves are beautifully finished. End caps are well polished and the can construction is quite nice. 9/10

The pipes look to be chromed steel or plated with something. Finish is OK, a bit marked up and not exactly mirror polished. 7/10

The peg extenders are badly finished pieces of metal pipe, the bolts for the pegs are too long, and the bolts to hold the clamp to the pipe are too short. 4/10

Installation was so/so. I'm no expert, and the pieces lined up fairly well, but at first pass the chain was hitting the pipe. I tightned up the chain a bit and now, with just enough slack, it doesn't hit.

The pipes do on occasion hit the hugger, and I might have to realign the pieces, but I'll deal with that later.

The nice thing about the system is that you can adjust how high you want the pipes, i.e. practically touching the plastic, or running parallel to the lines of the rear plastic. I chose to follow the lines as I think it looks more integrated that way.

At idle, the bike has a nice whooop whooop to it, and low RPMs are nice and bassy. Winding it up reminds me more of a Harley than a Ducati, and it's got some noise to it but it's not outrageously loud.

At highway speeds, I can't hear the exhaust over the wind noise, so I guess that's a plus for long trips.

Overall, I like the system. I have nothing to compare it to other than a Yosh system on an RC51 (like mine better) and a Sato on another RC51 (best sounding bike next to a Duc on Termis).

I'll have to post up pics, the bike looks pretty good now with the matching carbon pipes, front/rear fenders, red paintwork and yellow wheels.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:48 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I really like the yellow wheels with the red bike, I had a front f3 wheel that was yellow. That didn't work out with my front end conversion so I had to go back to a black rc51 wheel but they'll be yellow soon.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:14 AM
Squid

redline76
Re: Devil Exhaust review

I think the key with yellow wheels is to get the right shade. If it's a lemon yellow or too bright a shade it just doesn't look right.

To go with Italian red, the yellow needs to have a bit more orange to it, almost like a schoolbus yellow but not that extreme.

Here's a pic of the bike before the exhaust, carbon front fender, cowl, and ZG DB light smoke screen:
Old 12-23-2005, 09:52 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree, the f3 yellow was a darker yellow as well not the flourecent yellow they also came in. Althoudh, it may just be the lighting but yours do look a little darker. The yellow really catches your eye and brings the focus more to the mid level of the bike. Compared to the black where you don't really look at the wheels at all.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Back Marker

oicdn
Great review...especially since I was thinkin about that exhaust....