General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

My "new" VTR w/ Devil exhaust video

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 06:43 PM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
My "new" VTR w/ Devil exhaust video

Well, I picked it up today. All I can say is this bike is great! The sound and power delivery of this bike is beautiful. Excellent throttle response too.

Details on the bike:

2002 VTR w/ 11,500 miles. Came from a one owner who works for the Coast Guard as a Helicopter mechanic. Needless to say, it was in good hands in regards to any maintenance or mods. He also had a SV650 track bike in his garage as well as a new Suzuki 400 SM.

It has Devil exhaust, jet kit, bar risers, new Mich. Pilot tires (they still had the grease pencil markings down the center and **** on them all over!!), new EBC pads, custom fender elmiinator with hinge plate, frame sliders, grips, tinted shield, and I think that is it on the mods.

The deal was also sweetened with a in near perfect condition spare gas tank (the stocker has a small dent and he bought it to replace the tank but never put it on), Honda Serv. manual, stock shield, and another set of new grips.

I'm stoked so far from what little I've ridden it! Can't wait to wake up early tomorrow morning, fill it up, and head out for our first "real" ride together!

I made a quick vid of the bike and the exhaust. Mainly because there was little info and vids on this exhaust for this bike on here. I searched a few threads before I bought it but none really give it a good sound, including mine. I guess my camcorder can't capture or replicate the percussive thunder and rumble this exhaust makes! It's loud and if it has baffles, I'd be shocked. Loud pipes save lives afterall!

This vid isn't the greatest and I'll make another trying to hopefully capture the sound better. I'll also post up some pics tomorrow after I wipe it down and give it a once over.

Enjoy the vid

Update: better vid

Last edited by haknslash; 10-28-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
Man, that is a SWEET sounding exhaust....and looks good too! I'm freakin' jealous. Enjoy that ride!!! Sounds like you got quite the deal.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:11 PM
SuperSport

Thanks! Yeah it was a pretty good deal IMO. I couldn't pass it up. It was everything I was looking for in a used VTR. Clean one owner, low miles, 01+ and up model, etc.

I added a better video in my first post. Check it out!
Old 05-16-2008, 08:28 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking good man... Glad the purchase worked out well for you.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:35 PM
SuperSport

Thanks!!

Yeah I'm glad it did too. Not being able to ride in a long time is torture. I'll find out how the SH holds up to my work commute come Monday. I travel 70+ miles (highway) one way. I rode for a little over 2 hours today and I'm a little sore but I think it's just because I haven't ridden in a while. The bike is intoxicating!

I'll post up some nice high res pics this weekend
Old 05-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

supermonie is on a distinguished road
Sounds good Im trying to figure an exhaust to buy.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:15 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Congrats! You've got to be high on life right now. Wait till you pull out for that first ride to work.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:27 AM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
That exhaust sounds terrific! Great deal on your bike. Enjoy it. By the way, where are you located?
Old 05-17-2008, 08:17 AM
Back Marker

TheRezyReb is on a distinguished road
Sounds great man!!!!! I love DEVIL, unfortunatly no one is importing them to the states right now, due to a falling out with the importer or something.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:22 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by alive226
By the way, where are you located?
Central Alabama, just south of Birmingham.

Thanks guys! Glad you like the sound clip. I've been riding all day on this bike. LOVE IT! I don't know why people say this bike has to be clutched up in anything north of 1st gear. It has ZERO problems getting up on its own power with my 220 lb butt on it. As far as I can tell, I'm on stock sprockets too. Maybe it's just tuned good.

BTW, I know this must be a newbie question but I've looked and looked all over the bike and I can't find the fuel switch to switch from ON/ OFF/ RESERVE. Will someone elighten this blind new VTR owner? I feel like an idiot asking you guys but hell, I can't find it anywhere! On my CBRs, it was locatted on the left side just below where the rear left fairing attached. Only thing I see at that location on the VTR is of course the choke.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
There is no such fancy newfangled stuff on VTR's... just a red LED of Doom... also known a RLOD or go get fuel now light...
Old 05-17-2008, 12:33 PM
SuperSport

HAH! Well that would explain it then

I thought Honda was trying to make the owners really want to learn and explore their engine just so the owner could find the fuel switch

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Back Marker

VTRumble is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Tweety
There is no such fancy newfangled stuff on VTR's... just a red LED of Doom... also known a RLOD or go get fuel now light...
Unfortunately, you will get to know that little light very well...
Old 05-17-2008, 02:43 PM
SuperSport

Due to the size of the tank, it's understandable. I still think this bike gets decent gas mileage given the size of the motor, not to mention cow ball sized carbs! I might look into a aftermarket gas tank just to have some added range but those damn things are expensive! Or at least the one I've seen is where it was around $1200. Crazy!
Old 05-17-2008, 04:21 PM
SuperSport

Was in too much of a hurry this morning so I could ride to take the time to do some decent shots.

But here it is after I washed it off. Still could use a good wax but it cleans up good.

Name:  frontangle.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  140.0 KB
Old 05-17-2008, 07:18 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
That is an amazing deal! $3500 for an awesome bike with low miles. That's what I paid for my 98 with 20k miles.

I love the Devils too. I had a pair on my TL1000R. Awesome sound and they look a lot better on the VTR than my 2Bros. Very flush with the tail. Just need to get rid of the passenger pegs and RIDE!
Old 05-17-2008, 10:07 PM
SuperSport

Thanks!

Yeah I think I'm going to ditch the rear pegs. My wife has no intention of riding and I'm not a fan of riding two-up. Thanks for the reminder .

I've been thumbing thru the service manual and it appears I've got a 12k service coming up. I plan to swap in some new CCTs at that time. Good timing to get familiar with the bike.

Last edited by haknslash; 05-17-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Squid

harleexl is on a distinguished road
Sweet deal, and very nice bike. I just picked up a Yellow 2000 model for the same price, 5700 miles with original tires and some similar aftermarket parts - minus frame sliders. I love the Devil pipes, mine are carbon fiber as is the tire hugger/chainguard. Love the sound when pulling away from a light through first and second gear especially.
I want to add a picture, but will have to learn how...
Old 05-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Since you're going to have the valve covers off to replace the CCTs you may as well just do a valve lash check (don't call it an adjustment because they rarely have to be) to make sure everything's kosher. It's due at 16k.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:30 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Since you're going to have the valve covers off to replace the CCTs you may as well just do a valve lash check (don't call it an adjustment because they rarely have to be) to make sure everything's kosher. It's due at 16k.
Will do. BTW, thanks for putting up that site in your sig!
Old 05-18-2008, 07:33 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by harleexl
Sweet deal, and very nice bike. I just picked up a Yellow 2000 model for the same price, 5700 miles with original tires and some similar aftermarket parts - minus frame sliders. I love the Devil pipes, mine are carbon fiber as is the tire hugger/chainguard. Love the sound when pulling away from a light through first and second gear especially.
I want to add a picture, but will have to learn how...
Nice! Yeah they sound great leaving form a dead stop. It's also a good way to let others know you're around if your in their blind spot . What hugger do you have?

You can add pictures by clicking the "manage attachments" button in the advanced post editor when you create a new post or reply.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by haknslash
Will do. BTW, thanks for putting up that site in your sig!
No problem. That's my site!
Old 05-18-2008, 08:40 PM
SuperSport

No problem. That's my site!
Well I figured it was your site .

One thing though: I do have to clear out my cookies for whatever reason if I visit it for a second time. Otheriwse when I click on the VTR tabs on top, nothing happens but the click sound. Wierd, I know but deleteing my cookies and temp. internet files fixes the issue. Either way, thanks again for throwing it up there and all the work into it. Do you know if there is some internet setting I can use so that I don't have to do that or am I the only one this is happening to LOL? With my luck, I wouldn't doubt the latter
Old 05-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Make sure you have the latest version of Java.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Squid

Smileyhawk is on a distinguished road
Nice ride. I've got the Devils (carbon fibre) on my '02, and I love the sound. Plus, you get to keep the passenger pegs, what a bonus! Enjoy the ride, and check out the technical areas of the forum, there are a lot of knowledgeable riders here, and I've learned a lot from them.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:53 AM
SuperSport

Make sure you have the latest version of Java.
Ah! Thanks Greg, I did get a prompt telling me my Java was not up to date, so I then clicked to get the most recent one, yet still had the issue happen. Not sure what it is that's causing it. I'll see if I can't have a friend look at my settings to see if something jumps out at him.

Originally Posted by Smileyhawk
Nice ride. I've got the Devils (carbon fibre) on my '02, and I love the sound. Plus, you get to keep the passenger pegs, what a bonus! Enjoy the ride, and check out the technical areas of the forum, there are a lot of knowledgeable riders here, and I've learned a lot from them.
Thanks and yeah this site seems loaded with valueable information on the VTR!
Old 05-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Originally Posted by haknslash
Ah! Thanks Greg, I did get a prompt telling me my Java was not up to date, so I then clicked to get the most recent one, yet still had the issue happen. Not sure what it is that's causing it. I'll see if I can't have a friend look at my settings to see if something jumps out at him.
I dunno, brotha. It's either your IE settings or the 10% rule.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:24 PM
SuperSport

I dunno, brotha. It's either your IE settings or the 10% rule.

I'm not sure if I want to know what the 10% rule is

However, today it seems to be working perfectly fine and I can view it numerous times. Maybe my computer just had to wait for the Java update to take effect. Who knows?!! Good ol' Bill Gates
Old 05-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Administrator
World Champion

10% Rule: You gotta be at least 10% smarter than what you're operating. This is a rule that we commonly use in Navy Nuclear Propulsion, for those that are familiar with it.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:16 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
So you're saying you're smarter than we are?

Quick Reply: My "new" VTR w/ Devil exhaust video