Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Beaten to death I know....

Old 12-20-2005, 10:09 PM
Back Marker

oicdn
Beaten to death I know....

I've probably read every Jardine or TBR exhaust thread there is. Heard the WAV file...but am still left with questions.

I know people are talking about how loud the TBR get when wound up...but is it a good loud, like a Yoshi on jap 4 oud, or a disgusting loud, like D&D on a GSXR loud?

I want something throaty, deep and bass rich. Loudness, well, I think anybody getting an exhaust, and trying to stay quiet, well, shoulda just stayed stock. So loudness is not really an issue, I just don't want the obnoxious loud of a D&D type loud...I guess "tuned" is the word I'm looking for.

Anybody ever hear a Duc Monster with Leo Vince pipes? Or any Duc with aftermarket Termig pipes? I want that sound...

I'm new to the whole V-Twin thing, so I dunno really what to get and what sounds like crap. My buddy had a Monster 750 with Leo Vince pipes and it was the best sounding exhaust note IMO...and considering it's a sport twin, I'de imagine it'd sound similar on the Hawk....

I'm going for high mounts, but still wanting to keep passenger pegs...so anybody have a recomendation?

Thanks in advance...
Old 12-21-2005, 04:34 AM
Superstock

woodman
Re: Beaten to death I know....

I have the oval polished Jardine high mounts with race baffles and like the way they sound. Deep rumble, loud but not anoying loud. Never heard the Two Brothers so can't compare them. A friend has the Yosh low mounts with street baffles and his sound very good also, just a little quietier.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:26 AM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point

which ever one you get will be SO much better than stock.
Strongly suggest a jet kit when you do the cans. It will run ALOT better with pipes & jet kit!!!
(make sure you're holding on when you open the throttle at 6K...wink....wink)

I went with TBR aluminum low mounts but am converting them to high mounts.
the pipe sticks out kind of far on the sides with the low mounts (scratched the left pipe already...grrrr). I'm hoping I'll have better luck with the hi-mounts.

I love the TBR sound but worry about the neighbors when I have to work the early morning shift. It takes a few minutes to warm up with the choke on (but much less warm-up time than with the stock setup) Fortunately I mostly work the afternoon shift
Old 12-21-2005, 06:00 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
The TBR Carbon cans I have are way too loud, but it is a VERY GOOD loud.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:38 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have TBR carbons as well and I'd agree with jshmidt they are LOUD. I think I'm one of the loudest bikes on the track but they haven't kicked me off like they did with the Buell that was there. But it is a beautiful loud, if you've got the funds go with the Vince you won't be dissapointed. If you want something cheaper go with the TBR pipes.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:45 AM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
I recommend the TBR, they are loud, the good, badass loud, nothing like the D&D. I recommend them. I thought the yoshis were a little quiter than TBR. I had the CF system at first, which had shorter pipes that the new systems TBR makes but I got the new system now and I like it.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:23 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

You came to the right place ha ha

I have had Microns and now have Jardines street core.

My two buddies with VTR's have 2 bros and D&D

IMO the 2bros sound is definitely what your looking for by your description.

I'm wondering how the Jardines with race core would compare.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:11 PM
Back Marker

oicdn

I went to a buddies shop, and he owned two hawks, and he had both the TBR and the Jardine high mounts.

He said he could shoot me a deal for $565 + tax and shipping for the Jardine High Mounts in AL. Fairly decent?

He said he prefered the Jardines cause they were mounted higher up, and didn't have the hollow sound of the TBRs. Said they were more throaty and deep rumble, rather than a hollowey rumble.....

He said all he did was shim the stock needles higher with spacers and put on the Jardines and 1st-3rd would come up no problem with stock gearing. He'd race my buddy with a TLR that had everything under the sun done to it Bolt-on wise and he said the TLR would only inch away.....

The only thing I don't like about the Carbon TBRs is I absolutly HATE the way the TBR carbon looks....that arrow hatch stuff....not really feeling the way those look....

Anybody heard a Devil on a Hawk? I've heard them on your cookie cutter inline 4's and they always sound good and deep, never heard them on a Twin though...can anybody chime in on this?
Old 12-21-2005, 04:25 PM
Superstock

woodman

I don't know about the Devil pipes, but I got my Jardine's for $499.00 shipped from starcycle.com.
Do you know how many thousands your buddy says to shim the needles?

I don't like the look of the Two Brothers carbon either. The course weave looks crude.
Here's what the Jardines look like.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:34 PM
MotoGP

Oh yeah, well your aluminum is heavier and looks like your trying to be a HARLEY!! To each his own but the carbons don't have the hollow sound like the aluminum ones. IMHO

If you do enough work you can make any brand high mount sit where you want it to.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:35 PM
MotoGP

Oh yeah, well your aluminum is heavier and looks like your trying to be a HARLEY!! To each his own but the carbons don't have the hollow sound like the aluminum ones. IMHO

If you do enough work you can make any brand high mount sit where you want it to.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:42 PM
MotoGP

Old 12-21-2005, 05:50 PM
MotoGP

Sorry not sure what happened there.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:20 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot
........If you do enough work you can make any brand high mount sit where you want it to.
OK...So what did you do to make those TBR cans sit so high? Looks good!
I'm about to convert my TBR lo-mounts to hi-mounts.
Already got the connector pipes & foot peg mounting bracket but no other hardware. (doing away with the passenger pegs & mounts)
Please tell.... inquiring minds want to know
Old 12-21-2005, 07:43 PM
MotoGP

Did you get the pipes off ebay recently? I was watching some of those that just sold,(forgot when it ended so I didn't bid).

Anyway, the pipes and hangers are actually Jardine. Basically I just flipped the muffler hangers, (so the bolt hole was on the bottom). Swaped sides and turned the hangers that mount to the sub frame and bent the hangers a little bit. I have a picture on another post I'll see if I can find it.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:50 PM
MotoGP

Here it is, just check out this thread.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/viewt...=asc&&start=15
Old 12-21-2005, 08:13 PM
SuperSport

Thanks!

Dunno If that will work with the TBR brackets but will give it a try & see
Old 12-21-2005, 08:16 PM
MotoGP

Good luck, take your time because once you bend them they're bent!
Old 12-21-2005, 08:27 PM
Back Marker

oicdn
Superhawk22...what undertail is that? Is that this one?

http://images.andale.com/f2/111/111/...icture_588.jpg
http://images.andale.com/f2/111/111/...icture_587.jpg

I wasn't sure if that got rid of the large taillight or not...but it looks like it got rid of it on yours....

I'm looking for a fendr eliminator too at the same time as I get my exhaust, and I like yours....
Old 12-21-2005, 08:39 PM
MotoGP

Looks similar, mine is from rumble imports, got it on ebay. Sorry didn't really answer completly, yes it gets rid of the stock tail light the blinkers are just below the brake lights in the same lenses as well but they're kinda small.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:44 AM
SuperSport

Did you get the pipes off ebay recently? I was watching some of those that just sold,(forgot when it ended so I didn't bid).

Anyway, the pipes and hangers are actually Jardine. Basically I just flipped the muffler hangers, (so the bolt hole was on the bottom). Swaped sides and turned the hangers that mount to the sub frame and bent the hangers a little bit. I have a picture on another post I'll see if I can find it.
I saw those on ebay too but had already ordered mine from Star Cycle.
He had a leftover set of pipes & hangers laying around & made me a deal. One looks slightly 'ovaled' at the connector end where it slips over the header pipe.....like it was damaged in shipping. It's not much but enough it won't fit w/o some work. I'll have to straighten it out to get it to fit. There were no bolts, nuts, & washers either so I'll have to get some to install.
I was checking the brackets out last night & don't see an easy way to modify them to work like yours but will try again when I mount them.
They have me working every day until the 1st week in January. I'll get a few days off then & will do the install of the Hi-mounts & Ohlins at the same time.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:51 AM
MotoGP

EWW and Ohlins too! I'm jealous, bring the pipe to a custom muffler place they have machines that can round it out. Shouldn't cost much it'll only take them a minute and if they know what they're doing it will come out perfect. Otherwise they sell exhaust cones that you put on the end slam it down and whala rounded pipe!
Old 12-22-2005, 11:21 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by oicdn";p=&quot
He said he prefered the Jardines cause they were mounted higher up, and didn't have the hollow sound of the TBRs. Said they were more throaty and deep rumble, rather than a hollowey rumble.....
The 2Bros sound bad *** to everyone I know thats heard them. Do yourself a favor and find someone with them on their bike. There's no way they sound less throaty and deep rumbly than the Jardines with street core. Maybe he's got the race cores which I haven't heard.

I have to agree with you about the carbon look.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:23 PM
SuperSport

I've probably read every Jardine or TBR exhaust thread there is. Heard the WAV file...but am still left with questions.....................Thanks in advance...
Are you in Dallas, TX?
I'll ride by & let you hear my TBR aluminum
Old 12-24-2005, 06:19 AM
Back Marker

senecagreen
Two Brothers C2 cans sound great but are loud! Nasty rumble at idle. Sounds like a superbadass Harley drag bike at full throttle. I wear ear plugs with my C2 cans.

For a more civilized sound Jardine street cores would probably be the way to go. I would like to hear some as I have read good things about them. I erred on the loud side though.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:51 AM
Squid

VTR69

I've got the same pipes as Woodman but I installed Jardines "Quiet Core Inserts". It;s just a plug in the end of the can outlet that changes it from way loud to loud. I like them. Way better sound than stock.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Back Marker

oicdn

I was riding my bike (bicycle) around and saw a SHawk today with Carbon High Mount Jardines....I would have to admit, it was nice...wasn't loud, but I didn't talk to the guy, so I dunno if they're street or race cores.

But I just remembered something...I need to be able to keep my passenger pegs....which rules out BOTH Jardines and TBRs....
Old 12-24-2005, 08:02 PM
Superstock

woodman

I was riding my bike (bicycle) around and saw a SHawk today with Carbon High Mount Jardines....I would have to admit, it was nice...wasn't loud, but I didn't talk to the guy, so I dunno if they're street or race cores.

But I just remembered something...I need to be able to keep my passenger pegs....which rules out BOTH Jardines and TBRs....
You can use the passenger pegs with the high mount Jardines. There are spacers to move the bracket out to clear the cans.