Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Custom exhaust options...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 06:34 PM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
Custom exhaust options...

I was thinking of doing a custom single exit exhaust...

#1) my main question is if i put only have one can (aftermarket) what will that do to performance over my stock set-up (with bafflectomy)?

#2) how much louder one 10inch can be over my setup?

#3) can you cut a carbon fiber can down??
please help.. thanks
Old 07-06-2008, 07:11 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I've never tried it but I know those who did had some tuning issues with a single setup. I'm sure it's going to be LOUD-a 10 inch can is pretty short. How much louder depends on how far you went with your bafflectomy. I'm sure you can cut a carbon can down, but there are different weaves of carbon and your results may vary depending on your technique, how the cans are assembled, and what you're using to cut it. I've cut down aluminum cans and simply taped a line around it, cut it a little past the line with a hacksaw to leave a little extra material, and then ground it down even to the line with a grinder and smoothed it out even with a mouse. Then measured, cut the baffle accordingly and drilled new holes and reassembled. Just did a pair of jardines and they came out perfect-you can't tell they were modded. I don't know if a high speed dremel will work better to cut the carbon as a saw might fray it or make a bit of a mess.

Last edited by captainchaos; 07-06-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:22 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
CF breaks down over the long haul on a big twin setup. Do a search for single setups.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:57 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
As far as carbon in general I've seen used cans like two bros eventually discolor and even start to get a little burnt with time-I guess if they're not re-packed when they're supposed to be. I've seen leo vinci's advertised as having a thin metal layer inside the carbon that supposedly prevents this, though I've not had mine on nearly long enough or put enough miles on my bike to verify this.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
You will gain hp at the top but lose some torque at the bottom with a single exhaust. I had one single Moriwaki titanium pipe and it did fine. Sounded like a big SV or a Duck, or something in between. It seemed louder to me but people I ride with say that the high mount Jardines are louder that my single custom setup.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:12 AM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
Will i need a jet kit??? I know its always recomended, but will the single pipe realy mess things up??