Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Creating Custom Exhaust..Inputs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 07:07 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I think that you should be concerned about the heat under the stock mud guard (underseat pan). I had issues, personally I might still have issues
Old 11-11-2010, 04:25 AM
Banned
Back Marker

99Hawkboy
Yeah I am going to take it one step at a time with that issue.. In reality when I I made my custom setup for the rear I ended up cutting out about 3/4 of the underseat pan and created a new one using tin metal..gorilla glue..rtv sealant and then which is coated in some head shielding I picked up from autozone.. How well that will work or not im not entirely sure.. but I will also be exhaust wrapping the tubing. Ill know for sure how much heat i will be dealing with later today.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:39 AM
Banned
Back Marker

99Hawkboy
Well Its complete...

Finished the exhaust wrapping.. Looks great.. Made some custom race baffles to slide in the pipes and definitely makes the straight pipe "droan" go away.. I would compare the sound to a loud version of D&D. I might adjust the baffles some but right now im pleased.

Had her running for about an hour and so far the piping is not getting hot at all. I can actually touch the tips and not feel like i just grabbed an exhaust system. I did have to drill a couple of holes in the lower piping for water to escape but other than that she is one happy motorcycle. Havent done any WOT runs to see how the mains were affected yet. Kinda hard to do in my area. But part throttle cruising hasnt been affected that I can notice. Threw some new plugs in so I will pull those soon and check.

Just received my new turn signals and I am in process of making a mount for them but it will be an all LED system since I added the integrated turn signal to the rear.

Ill post some pics up when I get home from work.

I wanted to thank everyone for there inputs.. Kinda shyed away from an actual exhaust but with the baffles I really cant complain. If anyone is interested in doing the same modification I will be glad to assist in my knowledge.. Afterall I accomplished this task using a harbor freight welder and pipe bender.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:43 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 99Hawkboy
Well the front exhaust tube is pretty straight forward. Not a whole lot of bending happening which is good.. The rear on the other hand looks pretty restrictive...especially if you remove the right side muffler and see that piece of metal left over from where the two pipes are welded together... Maybe if anything a new crossover pipe would help.. Anyone else notice the "quality" of the welding going on with the hawks exhaust?
I just tore mine apart also.. and yes.. They did a terrible job welding the "X"/"Y" part of the pipe.. I actually disected mine.. Inside looks worse than the outside..
Old 12-31-2010, 07:16 AM
Banned
Back Marker

99Hawkboy
Here are some finished pics of the project. Sounds great with the race baffles and looks and feels great as well. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Creating Custom Exhaust..Inputs?-005.jpg   Creating Custom Exhaust..Inputs?-004.jpg   Creating Custom Exhaust..Inputs?-006.jpg   Creating Custom Exhaust..Inputs?-007.jpg   Creating Custom Exhaust..Inputs?-009.jpg  

Old 12-31-2010, 07:18 AM
Banned
Back Marker

99Hawkboy
more pictures..
Attached Thumbnails Creating Custom Exhaust..Inputs?-012.jpg   Creating Custom Exhaust..Inputs?-013.jpg   Creating Custom Exhaust..Inputs?-015.jpg  
Old 01-08-2011, 09:34 AM
haha yeah
Squid

intoxxx is on a distinguished road
how is that temperature safe for anything that is around it?. taillamp only needs 200° to pull the glue apart. and ive seen some nasty burns from awkward chopper **** postions
Old 01-19-2011, 09:47 AM
Banned
Back Marker

99Hawkboy
Originally Posted by intoxxx
how is that temperature safe for anything that is around it?. taillamp only needs 200° to pull the glue apart. and ive seen some nasty burns from awkward chopper **** postions
Ive been riding in 40-70*f temp ranges since completion. Using the exhaust wrap and wrapping the undertail assembly with some exhaust shielding tape I have not had any issues with any components. As stated I replaced most of the undertail assembly with sheet metal so the plastic will not melts. And continued that sheet metal up under the tail light assembly. The one thing I have noticed was every once in a while when it is cold out my taillight fogs up due to the moisture coming from the exhaust.

Couldnt be more satisfied guys.. For someone who has no skills bending pipe and fabrication I cant complain. Used a nice 90$ mig welder from harbor freight and 16 ton pipe bender as well..
Old 02-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Banned
Back Marker

99Hawkboy
Just uploaded a video to youtube. If anyone would like any other information please feel free to ask.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSLIPL97BWw
Old 03-03-2011, 12:04 AM
Back Marker

Karbon is on a distinguished road
Kind of ghetto looking :/
Old 03-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
I see issues

Not to be a downer, but I see issues.

Any issues with people complaining about the noise?
Any issues with heat roasting your electronic components in the tail section?
Any issues with wheel clearance when you ride two up?
Is your bike registered in Va? How did that yearly inspection go when the inspector realized that your not in DOT or EPA regs?

Of course you do realize that an engine needs a certain amount to backpressure to operate efficiently.

Have you noticed a drop in fuel mileage or power as a result of doing this mod?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Superstock

pwshadow is on a distinguished road
you should y-pipe the two tubes into one carbon can.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Or just chop the left side exhaust and plate over it, then run the single exhaust up to a can.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:48 AM
Banned
Back Marker

99Hawkboy
[QUOTE=divingindaytona;294672]Not to be a downer, but I see issues.

Any issues with people complaining about the noise?
Any issues with heat roasting your electronic components in the tail section?
Any issues with wheel clearance when you ride two up?
Is your bike registered in Va? How did that yearly inspection go when the inspector realized that your not in DOT or EPA regs?

Of course you do realize that an engine needs a certain amount to backpressure to operate efficiently.

Have you noticed a drop in fuel mileage or power as a result of doing this mod?[/QUOTE

Ok how many times do I have to say it?! The tail section isnt factory and no the heat coming from the pipes does not roast any of my electronic components..

Have you listened to the exhaust? Does it remotely sound loud? Ive seen video of people running straight pipes out there VTR all the time on youtube and here and doesnt sound anywhere near as loud as what I have.

Have you also read that I made custom baffles for the inserts that quite the exhaust system down and prevent backfire?

Have you looked at my pictures and clearly see that my bike is registered in Colorado?

Hey im not going to harp on what I have done. I have made my bike into a leaner faster bike. If you want proof well I am purchasing those cool XD cameras to put on the front and rear and you can see for yourself what kind of power i may have lost or gained. My engine has never been happier with my setup especially with the intake modifications. My plugs are dead on and I am dead even with my flocommander.

Backpressure? Yeah there is plenty of it. Kinda forced that one on yourself man. What do you think adding an additional 6 feet of tubing isnt going to add backpressure not to mention the baffles i created? How about reading the entire post before opening your mouth man.

hahaha Im sorry but wow man.. the whole yearly inspection comment gets me. lol. Heres your sign bud.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:26 AM
Banned
Back Marker

99Hawkboy
Welp ditched the custom exhaust. Anyone who is interested in doing this more power to ya. I just felt like I was driving a drag bike around for the most part.

Went with a Dan Moto exhaust and my wife couldnt be happier. Now she gets to ride again.

Thanks all.

Name:  6e09aa79.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  177.9 KB

Name:  92653ecf.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  182.8 KB
Old 03-27-2012, 07:39 AM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

00SUPERHAWK is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 99Hawkboy
Welp ditched the custom exhaust. Anyone who is interested in doing this more power to ya. I just felt like I was driving a drag bike around for the most part.

Went with a Dan Moto exhaust and my wife couldnt be happier. Now she gets to ride again.

Thanks all.

NICE!! Been looking at the Dan Moto Carbon as well. Yellow is the fastest color!!!!
Two questions of subject-
1. Front turns? Who makes and web site?
2. Lower faring? " "

Thanks and again looks good!!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Banned
Back Marker

99Hawkboy
Thanks for the compliment! Yeah I love it. Looking forward to warmer weather again. The turn signals were purchased on amazon for $15. Not sure if they are still available but you can probably still pick some up. I adapted my old signals to fit these. Works great.
Amazon.com: Motorcycle Smoke LED Turn Signal Marker Blinder Flush Lights In Side Mount for Honda CBR 900 929/954 600 900rr 03 04 06 07 08 924/954 F4i: Automotive

The under-fairing came with the bike when i purchased it used back in 2004. So not really sure but its fiberglass. Hopefully they still make them.

Anyways I really like the sound of this Dan Moto exhaust. Perfect price for what it is and is throaty.

Thanks Again.