Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Custom Exhaust

Old 10-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Carnivore
Back Marker

Grizz is on a distinguished road
Custom Exhaust

Pk, so I have a chance to get a 100% custom exhaust build from scratch for my Hawk. Currently I have Jardine slipons and would love to get rid of all those twisties I see underneath.

Problem is, I can't really think of what exactly I want as I reayy don't have alot of experience with exhaust systems. I was thinking about maybe using Titanuim to shed some weight but what does everyone else think???
Old 10-08-2009, 05:28 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
whats the price range gonna be for you? im a fan of stainless steel. its always shiney and doesnt rust. not sure about titanium as i dont have any experience with it. basically you wanna make as few bends as possible and keep any bends as minimal as you can, so dont put in 90 degree bends. also make sure its mandrel bent.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:50 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Well since my high mount leo's are now hitting the sp2 swingarm I'm thinking of possibly having custom mids made to go with either a pair of tyga moto maggots or those sick ladybird gp cans. $$$$$$
Old 10-08-2009, 05:54 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
These... but I'm thinking you won't gain any points with the neighbors You'd either need to fab up custom mids or use the rc51 mids. The right side should work fine, the left would need a little modding where it meets the header.
Attached Thumbnails Custom Exhaust-bcg-yu-bmk%7E%24-kgrhqeh-dceq-oo-tqbkzdt4pvt-%7E%7E_3.jpg   Custom Exhaust-mag001.jpg  

Last edited by captainchaos; 10-09-2009 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
I would def. go for full titanium, If he doesnt charge you out the *** for it and he can weld it. It would be much lighter weight than the stock header and has that cool coloring after ran awhile!
Old 10-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Carnivore
Back Marker

Well here's the deal, he runs a shop making custom exhaust for high end race cars like BMW's, Porsche and Ferrari for a local racing club. He said he was interested in making one for my bike and that if I pay for the supplies he'll make whatever I want for free.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:16 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
I would suggest you copy a known design. Plenty of time and money is spent on development, and unless you want to do this yourself I would stick with what you know works.

Ti is a lot lighter than steel. My Ti headers must way less than half of the stock pipes I reckon.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:03 AM
aka sirch345. vtr1000.org
Back Marker

ripvanwinkle is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by shayne
I would suggest you copy a known design. Plenty of time and money is spent on development, and unless you want to do this yourself I would stick with what you know works.
+1 on that.

Most important as you don't want to end up with something that looks good but actually gives you less power (bhp or torque or even both).
Old 10-09-2009, 03:14 AM
COBB Member
Superstock

stebbdt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
These... but I'm thinking you won't gain any points with the neighbors You'd either need to fab up custom mids or used the rc51 mids. The right side should work fine, the left would need a little modding where it meets the header.
Screw the neighbors Cap'n, tygas,tygas,tygas, sweet.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:15 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by stebbdt
Screw the neighbors Cap'n, tygas,tygas,tygas, sweet.

thats what im using!
Old 10-09-2009, 10:08 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by shayne

Ti is a lot lighter than steel. My Ti headers must way less than half of the stock pipes I reckon.

Agreed. A big mistake that is often made in exhaust design is to just lay it in however the pipes fit best. This often makes for a very poor performing system. With an V configuration engine you have to tune the exhaust (equal length doesn't work, if that's what you were thinking) which usually requires some trial and error. Most of the time, in my experiences, the final design is a real challenge to fit into the space available.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:57 AM
Carnivore
Back Marker

Going with a design that has already been engineered and proven to work makes perfect sense. As for tuning, I really have no idea how that works but I suspect that he does since he does custon work for race cars.

I really like the Sato racing exhaust but can't seem to find any specific technical information on them. Fortuantely a mutual friend of our has one on his RC-51. I'm sure he would be willing to let us take some measurements.

Last edited by Grizz; 10-10-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Agreed. A big mistake that is often made in exhaust design is to just lay it in however the pipes fit best. This often makes for a very poor performing system. With an V configuration engine you have to tune the exhaust (equal length doesn't work, if that's what you were thinking) which usually requires some trial and error. Most of the time, in my experiences, the final design is a real challenge to fit into the space available.
Jamie,
If i have two midpipes fabbed up to turn my stock cans into high mounts is this going to affect the performance overall? I was unaware of the exhaust tuning info you were talking about.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:43 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well, the "midpipe" as it's called on a slip-on is part of the stock muffler, it's welded on, so you'll have to cut that of and make a new midpipe and join them up... It won't work just sticking a pipe in between, angles and lenght makes it impossible...

As long as you keep the pipes at rougly the same lenght as stock and keep the turns smooth it won't affect much... The tuning is done mostly in the bends down low around the engine and the respective length of the total pipe...

Plus for your project you need to redo (cut off/remount) the mounts on the lower part of the pipe (by the pegs) and probably the upper one's to as they are welded to the muffler... So if you are very skilled and have lots of time and a small budget it's a feasible plan...

But it's probably both cheaper and more effective to go aftermarket if you count working hours and what they really cost...
Old 10-10-2009, 10:23 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by dshakes
Jamie,
If i have two midpipes fabbed up to turn my stock cans into high mounts is this going to affect the performance overall? I was unaware of the exhaust tuning info you were talking about.
By "exhaust design" I'm referring to the section before the collector. The pipes that go from the collector to the mufflers don't really matter as the effect on performance is minimal.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point
Jamie,
What's up with the "equal lengths don't work"? In my experience, V twins can be really sensitive to this.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:10 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by 102dals
Jamie,
What's up with the "equal lengths don't work"? In my experience, V twins can be really sensitive to this.
Right, they are very sensitive to this. Equal length does not apply because of the 90° cylinder separation. Based on the crankshaft, the exhaust pulses are coming out at 450°-270°-450°-270° intervals. In order to make the pulses hit the collector without overlap, you have to shorten (or lengthen) one of the head pipes. It's possible to match this perfectly..... at one rpm. The big problem becomes the flow losses - since you now have different lengths you have different losses. Since the losses vary non-linearly with flow, as you move away from the "sweet spot" your pulses will not hit the collector right. You tune the exhaust to the rpm you want to hit perfectly and live with the imperfections elsewhere.

It's basic exhaust theory really. There are many books and such on the subject that can explain it better than I can.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Superstock

Jamie, I think I understand; that makes sense to me.

Grizz, there's a good website where you can go to get MORE info: http://www.burnsstainless.com
They build tubing & collectors for racing applications, and they have some theory pages.
A good place for honest info, and some pics to boot.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:10 PM
SuperBike

Grizz, there's a good website where you can go to get MORE info: http://www.burnsstainless.com
They build tubing & collectors for racing applications, and they have some theory pages.
Wow, it's pretty unusal that I can explain something in a way that people can actually understand!
Old 10-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Superstock

Grizz,
I'd be interested to see the final product when you're done. Are you going with a single cannister setup, or standard duals?
BTW, about materials...stainless is easier for your builder to work, but slightly heavier & way stronger. Titanium is lighter (about 60% the weight of SS), but loses a lot of strength when heated (welds can break and such). Ti is also more expensive for raw materials.
My brother recently hand-built a pipe for his 87VFR, and it was stainless with a carbon cannister. Way lighter than stock, just as strong, and moderately inexpensive.
I can forward pics to your PM or email if you like.

Andy
Old 11-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Squid

enjoype09 is on a distinguished road
Custom Exhaust

Hello there everyone

I recently purchased a Pulse Adrenaline 125cc. This is the same motorcycle as the QingQi XF125GY and so on depending on the country.

I am looking to buy a new, louder, performance exhaust for the bike, but I dont know which exhaust could fit it. I have seen the custom exhaust for the 200cc version but not the 125.

Does anyone know any exhaust that I could use for this bike?

Thank you very much in advance for your help

Rainer.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
You could start by posting on a forum for your weedwacker/bicycle/scooter.
Or for ****'s sake, at least start your own thread about it.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:03 AM
SuperBike

It kind of looks like he's just a fisher - this page probably came up on a Google search or something.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:48 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Grizz
would love to get rid of all those twisties I see underneath.
Twisties? The stock setup is about as straight a shot as one can get for a 2-1-2 system.. Some aftermarket complete exhausts have extra twists (esp for the rear cyl) to improve performance, but I don't know what twisties you are talking about on the stock headers.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:43 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I gave away a TBR header (tin foil) that came with my Superhawk and Jet-Hot the the stocker. The stock header is the best primary for the bike. Your jetting and aftermarket piping from there is all about tuning. It's also about pipes that will take the beating that the Superhawk meats out. Lots of vibes!
Old 11-26-2009, 04:57 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road

http://www.ssheaders.com/

I like burns, but some money can be saved. Use other suppliers to fit your needs and cost where applicable. S&S headers have supplied material for the last three projects I have done.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Carnivore
Back Marker

Thanks for all the posts guys, I've learned lots over the past month!! In the end, I think I am going to slow things down and wait until at least June or July as it is not winter here and I can't ride anyway. Also, I am playing with the idea of an undertail upgrade as well. I don't want to get a kick *** exhaust then wishing I should have waited so I could desig an undertail system.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:27 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Have a look at the ozfirestorm site, there is a chap on there who replaced the stock collector with one of his own design (those in the know claim the collector to be the weak link in the stock set-up). You could perhaps have a system fabbed that copies the stock header and revised collector all fashioned from titanium for weight savings and improved performance. You could also look at getting a replica of an existing system made too. The caveat there is that if your engine has stock internals (ie. no mods or very light mods), chances are you will gain very little from an aftermarket replica full system.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Squid

Gilson is on a distinguished road
As I've been reliably informed, the best, and only exhaust ever built purely for the Firestorm is the moriwaki Ti system, with the specific Zero's attached. This would be ideal to copy.... as for getting one... rocking horse ****, and hen's teeth spring to mind...
Old 11-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Squid

Highend Cans is on a distinguished road
cans

Hi new to this forum,, so Hi to all,, as for ur question,, ghanged mine to stainless,, and have to say the cheaper of the two,,, titainium,, dear,, yes, lighter yes,, but using stainless,, use lightest gauge,,, maint' free,, and look well when cleaned,,,,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom Exhaust