Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Carb to EFI conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 08:37 AM
Squid

Carnage
Carb to EFI conversion?

I was wondering if anybody out there has made an attempt at switching out the carburator to an electronic fuel injection system? I was thinking I might try doing this sometime using the throttle body off of a RC51, but thought I'd ask first.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:59 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Re: Carb to EFI conversion?

Do a search as I beleive this issue has been tackled before. Of the top of my head, I seriously doubt it is possible without some major work and new components. It would likely be easier to simply replace the engine altogether.

If I may, what it is exactly you would be hoping to achieve with the switch? I ask as a well-calibrated carb is still pretty hard to beat in terms of response and predictability (althought he new EFI systems seem to function quite well).

It just occurred to me that the European Varadero version of this engine may have been available in an EFI version. You may want to look into that avenue as being your most feasible option.

Mikstr
Old 04-12-2006, 09:53 AM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
it's gonna be harder then just using the throttle body off of the rc51.... I wondered this myself just cause I don't like dealing with carbs even though they will function just as well as efi systems when tuned perfectly...
Old 04-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Squid

Carnage

From my research on the internet I've seen that any carburated engine can be converted to EFI. The easiest way to go about this is to find all of the components you need off of a "donor" vehicle. I have also seen that carburated engines that are converted to EFI put out more horsepower and torque. Once more a EFI engine can be calibrated so much easier and faster with a Power Commander.

Thanks for the tip about the Varadero, I'll take a look into that.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Back Marker

icebud

If someone is very interested to try the RC51 EFI mod, I've a friend who have a wrecked RC51 2001!

The fork and triple are bend, so don't even think about it!

Cheers
Old 04-12-2006, 11:36 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road

Varadero was indeed fuel injected. Here is a link to a new Power Commander map for it:

http://www.powercommander.com/116-411.shtml

Varadero specs: http://www.honda-varadero-uk.org/tech_spec_99.htm ( (includes useful info about introduction of FI version in 2003)

power ratings for FI version:
The fuel-injected edition is rated at 69kW at 8000rpm with 98Nm at 6000; (if anyone can convert that into hp and ft-lbs)

comp. ratio: 9.8:1 on FI version

You can search on Google for more.

Hope this helps

Mikstr
Old 04-12-2006, 02:55 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road

69kw is 93hp.
98nm is 72 ft/lb.

These figures are most probably measured at the engine, not the wheel too I would think.

Obviously this engine has different design parameters compared to the VTR. Having 42mm throtte bodies will assist torque figures, however you would expect this to limit horsepower, and the above figures reflect that.

Given the above it would be fair to assume (though of course not certain) that the manifold would be of appropriate design in accordance with the rest of the fuel system, that is, of smaller size to match the throttle body.

Would this be too small to suit the road based VTR?
Could it be ported to make up the diiference if required?

Given that keihin FCR carb concervions tend to be 41mm from the ones I have seen, and that the HRC jet kit blocks off the main air jet, it is possible that this conversion may be of benefit to the VTR.

I think you should do it!
Old 04-12-2006, 08:26 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Carnage";p=&quot
From my research on the internet I've seen that any carburated engine can be converted to EFI. The easiest way to go about this is to find all of the components you need off of a "donor" vehicle. I have also seen that carburated engines that are converted to EFI put out more horsepower and torque. Once more a EFI engine can be calibrated so much easier and faster with a Power Commander.

Thanks for the tip about the Varadero, I'll take a look into that.

I agree.... I'm sure it can be done but wiring in the computer or power commander might be the most difficult part...
Old 04-12-2006, 08:31 PM
SuperBike

you know I was just looking at the rc51 throttle bodies and I think that they could easily fit onto our current setup... once again wiring would probably be the hardest.... Don't EFI bikes have fuel pumps too and ours is just gravity driven?? (not really sure...)

and do the power commanders completely take over the computer setup or what? I'm not really familiar with how they exactly work... If so that's awesome... If they run as a kind've piggy back off the original computer then that could cause issues and another tuning device might be needed...

I talked to some other people and we all agreed that if a conversion was to be done that a stand alone computer would be by far the best thing to do to give absolute control and get past some bs that a conversion normally has... someone else make the conversion first and I'll be right behind you
Old 04-14-2006, 10:32 AM
Back Marker

vitter is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.megasquirt.info/
With megasquirt, you can build your own custom EFI system with ignition control also.

if you look in their forums, they have a motorcycle only section.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:25 PM
SuperBike

megasquirt works yeah but I was thinking something that's quicker and easier out of the box.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:05 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road

I think you wil find that RC51 will not fit, due to the engine being different dimensions, therefore plenum/manifold would need to be modified or another custom made.

If you are going to go this route provision for sensors will need to be made, and as you suggest, a computer to run it will be required.

Definately able to be done, but you would want to be keen.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:33 AM
Squid

Carnage

I have the VFR tank on my bike so I won't have any problem putting the fuel pump from the VFR on as well. The problem seems to be finding a location to buy the throttle body for the Varadero. Anybody know were I can get one?