Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

another nitrous discussion

Old 02-05-2010, 12:19 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
another nitrous discussion

i was talking to gixxerjohn about this, and i know its been brought up on here a few times. the vtr's motor isnt that strong so it wont take too much spray and being carbed its a little harder torun any kind of noticeable power through it. so what john had mentioned is that some guys fog the nitrous into the airbox, cooling down the air that enters the motor. this would likely have a bit of an increase on the really hot days where the bikes ******* it. but im wondering if its worth the money for the kit and for the nitrous to just spray into the air box, also if anyones done it did it lean the bike out at all and did you notice a difference. im asking because you cant really mount a 10 pound bottle on the bike so it would nee to be a 2.5 - 5 pound bottle and with say a 10 hp jet just to get some nitrous into the box. so what are your thoughts?
Old 02-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The main idea here being to lean the bike out for hot conditions? Not to really "add" power, just get back what is already there?

If that's the case there is an easier and cheaper solution that doesn't need refills...

FloCommander... Adjusting on the fly for a hot and humid day is done with a philips head screwdriver in 30 seconds... And unless you feel like chucking the screwdriver away and bying a new one each time, it's a one time expense...
Old 02-05-2010, 01:12 PM
SuperBike

true enough, i was thinking more of a cold air power increase without removing fuel. id be more than happy to do a proper shot if i could find a nitrous system specific to our bikes
Old 02-05-2010, 06:09 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Honestly, I think that our bikes a very nitrous friendly, maybe except the head design, you'll just need a fuel pump to squirt fuel along with the NO².
They have mild cams, low compression and at least 4° less advance than optimal from the advancer kits they sell, so stock is built in timing retard.
The rods or head gasket should be the weak link, you can wait that I increase the boost this summer on my bike, I'll tell you how much power it can make without a rod sawing the engine in two :lol;
Old 02-06-2010, 07:32 AM
SuperBike

sweet, look forward to seeing how far you can push her and then making 2 single cylinder engines, lol. im pretty nitrous savy, i ran it the first time about 10 years ago, even killed a motor on it once, so ive got a bunch of ideas of how id set up the bike with a one off wet kit
Old 02-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Back Marker

gixxerjohn is on a distinguished road
i actually didnt mean it in the way of cooling the air, i ment when u fog the box the carbs are gonna suck it into the engine, vs tapping the side of them to spray right into the engine......
Old 02-06-2010, 05:27 PM
SuperBike

Gotcha. So what do you do about fuel enrichment then? You can't just do the same with fuel. I'm thinking. Double efi kit with nozzles mounted facing into the carbs or just inder them would be good. Something to think about for next winter
Old 02-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Back Marker

gixxerjohn is on a distinguished road
i could be wrong, but i belive these bikes should be able to take a 15 shot on the stock fuel load, if you run it a tad rich at wot...

if you can, then u dont need to run extra fuel....
Old 02-06-2010, 10:35 PM
SuperBike

id prefer to not have to run the carbs too rich, maybe ill just wait till i buy an efi bike and do a turbo setup on it, lol. im gonna read up some more on carb nitrous setups on v twins and see what i can come up with. id love a small shot just to shock some people and give me an edge
Old 02-07-2010, 01:19 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
The path is beaten to use Microsquirt, there is two way, transplant all the sensors that are in the Varadero engine and use the extra code witch uses the 12-0 tooth wheel and 3 tooths cam sensor, or do like I did grind one off the Varadero tooth wheel so 12-1 and a single tooth cam on a Hall sensor.
Using pure Alpha-N, the bike will run like a champ using individual throttle bodies, the trigger will turn extra % fuel, that can be tuned using a wideband O2 sensor.

To run the Varadero ECM, you will need to run a Varadero block, unless you can hack the flash memory and find the tables and modify it to accomodate the different cams and maybe others differences. They are not meant to be triggered for something like nitrous, so it will require an external fuel jet like the small nitrous foggers.