Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

aftermarket wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Squid

Bocker is on a distinguished road
aftermarket wheels

I've been doing a bit of research into modifications for the Hawk, and it looks like one of the best all-around modifications seems to be wheels. So, after researching brands and materials I've decided on PVM forged aluminum 5Y spokes. For those of you who have aftermarket wheels, where did you pick them up, what did you go with, and how do you like them?
Old 07-13-2008, 10:56 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I have PVM cast magnesium 6-spoke wheels I picked up on eBay. The front needed to be straightened slightly and I had them powdercoated red. The result: fantastic. The bike turns in much quicker, accelerates harder and generally runs better in every respect. The only downside is I have to be even more on the lookout for potholes, not an easy thing to do in Quebec.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:24 AM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
I have PVM cast magnesium 6-spoke wheels I picked up on eBay. The front needed to be straightened slightly and I had them powdercoated red. The result: fantastic. The bike turns in much quicker, accelerates harder and generally runs better in every respect. The only downside is I have to be even more on the lookout for potholes, not an easy thing to do in Quebec.

Wow your setup looks pretty wild. Wheels look good on there....

Old 07-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Squid

DimSTriple is on a distinguished road
I'm one step before buying a used 99 VTR1000F... so this is my first post here.... I must say, lightweight aftermarket wheels makes huge difference of how the bike feels, turns, brakes...

PVM is probably one of the best manufacturers in the market so you wont go bad if you choose them. The only bad thing is that you must wait probably more than 8-10 weeks until you receive them. (I work with pvm quite some time and making a stock is a must if you want to support the market)

Bellow a few pictures... next week I will have a set of Y5 black for an Aprilia RSVR so will post pictures

Y7 Forged alu
http://w3.bikepics.com/pics/2008%5C0...12374-full.jpg
http://w3.bikepics.com/pics/2008%5C0...12377-full.jpg

Y10 Forged Alu
http://w3.bikepics.com/pics/2008%5C0...47964-full.jpg
http://w3.bikepics.com/pics/2008%5C0...47946-full.jpg

If you need any help/info, please feel free...
Old 07-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Squid

Bocker is on a distinguished road
What else will I need to purchase in order to make the wheels fit the 'Hawk? I'm assuming I can use the front and rear brake disks, the rear sprocket and cush drive, but what about the bearings and spacers and all that jazz?
Old 07-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Squid

DimSTriple is on a distinguished road
The first thing you must do is to ask your imported to contact pvm and ask them if they can manufacture wheels for vtr.
They may have the specifications for VTR so you probably wont need to try and fit the wheels from other bikes.

If they don't I'm sure some of you knows what other wheels fit VTR... how about CBR600? F4-Fi or even better 600RR?

haknslash, from which bike did you fit the wheels?

Last edited by DimSTriple; 07-14-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:28 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
I was after PVM wheels too last year, but by the time I had save the money, PVM had suspended manufacture of all aftermarket wheels in order to supply the OEM BMW contract they had just won. So I had to keep looking. In the end I decided to get some American made Cyko wheels.

So I placed the order and paid for them in full on the 6th December 2007. And to this day, I have one only, the wrong size sprocket for it. I am still waiting for the front wheel and the rest of the parts such as brake rotors and spacers. Larry Brown the guy that runs it keeps saying he will "do it next week" but he never does. This is the worst service I have EVER received from any business. I won't give up though, I have one, I want the other one.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:42 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Cyko reminds me of DeLorean... good idea, poor execution.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:15 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
The wheels I bought are from a CBR900RR (front is a 17-inch, rear is 6 inches wide). The rotors were a direct bolt-on as was the front wheel. For the rear wheel, I had to replace the sprocket side spacer with one I had left over from the stock front end (22 mm wide, front and rear axles are same diameter) and Bob's your uncle I love the change it has made in the bike. In terms of other bikes whose wheels fit, I think the CBR600F3 are a direct bolt-on too
Old 07-20-2008, 03:13 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by LineArrayNut
Cyko reminds me of DeLorean... good idea, poor execution.

Yeah, I think you are right. It is now 7 months since I paid for my wheels and I still don't have them, and that is just a joke.

My suggestion to anyone is this - DON'T BUY THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Superstock

salmanilla2000 is on a distinguished road
Does anyone have any expierence with Marchesini wheels or Marchesini?
Old 08-12-2008, 07:15 PM
SuperSport

I got a hunch I tried to get Marchesini wheels last year, and they did not make them for the VTR. You would need to check before assuming you can get some.

But they are a quality product for sure.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Back Marker

RonVTR
I'm a bit late on this thread, But I have Dymag Magnesium wheels. They work great. Same benifits as others have stated. The stock brake rotors bolt on. Rear sprocket is not stock. Uses a sprocket for a Dymag wheel application. Downside is that Magnesium is more prone to bending if you hit a pothole... (Don't ask me how I know this) However, they can be fixed. Also Magnesium needs a special primer... Zinc Chromate I think.

One thing I have'nt seen anyone else mention... The Dymags have a Cush-Drive arrangement.

I just wish that they'd look more custom.

Name:  VTR-experimental103s.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  163.0 KB

Last edited by RonVTR; 09-04-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Squid

gazza is on a distinguished road
i can get a set of mavric pvm wheels secondhand for a blackbird for R5000 (abt $500). can anyone tell me if they will fit my hawk? searched on here and found one thread stating that both blackbird wheels are interchangable with the hawk, but i'm not sure if that's true. please can someone help this mod addicted noob????
Old 10-27-2008, 02:07 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

not to be mean, but cross-posting is not generally an accepted form for increasing success of response on teh internets...
Old 10-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Squid

my bad. sorry if i upset anyone. just trying to increase my chances for a definite answer.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Superstock

No need to apologize dude. There's nothing wrong with asking questions. How the hell are you supposed to get answers if you don't ask??? Chat forum ***** really need to slow their role and get a life when it comes to "cross-posting, re-posting, or stomping on someone's post. Seriously, who the hell made these forum bouncers, enforcers of stupid, self-made rules. No such thing as a stupid question, unless you're asking which side faces out on a land mine.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Squid

thanx for having my back!
Old 10-28-2008, 08:13 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

Originally Posted by salmanilla2000
No need to apologize dude. There's nothing wrong with asking questions. How the hell are you supposed to get answers if you don't ask??? Chat forum ***** really need to slow their role and get a life when it comes to "cross-posting, re-posting, or stomping on someone's post. Seriously, who the hell made these forum bouncers, enforcers of stupid, self-made rules. No such thing as a stupid question, unless you're asking which side faces out on a land mine.
Sal, everyone is on here for their own reasons, but mainly three, I think:

1) to find info, 2) to give info, 3) bored or lonely

So if there were folks who knew exactly what worked and didn't and like me always hit new posts, they'd respond.

But Gazza's ? at hand is a two variable system and not many folks shell out the cash for Marvic's - we ain't buying Ducks here...so answers aren't easy to come by.

Now, the old cross-posting edicts were from the bad old days of dial-up bbs probs w/ bandwidth; admittedly, that's not the problem here.

But what if EVERYBODY found EVERY thread applicable to their own specific and intricate prob and posted the EXACT same message 5 or more times?

The problem now is NOISE! You would have to wade through so much repetitive bullshit that the effort would outweigh the reward.

Seriously, Just look at what happened with the CCT year and mile thread.

Too much noise, it's just a dead thread now.

But it ain't my forum to police, I was just trying to help a noob. I'll take my TRS-80 and go away, lol!

Last edited by LineArrayNut; 10-28-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Squid

mmkay. that just sounded like a whole bunch of computer talk to me. i was dreaming of fitting a new pipe on my 400 bandit in computer class at school so you sorta lost me there.

but i think i catch what you're throwing at me. as for the rims, the dude that's selling them is hard up for cash and they're really cheap in south african standards(we have heavy import taxes here). i was just trying to get an answer as quickly as possible before someone else buys them.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:54 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

I've been online since '98. Had a bbs account in '94. Was on a local internet in '83. Programmed in PASCAL and COBOL. Wrote my first BASIC proggy in '81. My first computer was a Sinclair, first real one a surplus IBM 5100.

No, that wasn't a bunch of computer talk, lol.

Buy the wheels, try 'em; if they don't work ebay 'em...
Attached Thumbnails aftermarket wheels-ibm-pc-5100.jpg  
Old 10-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Squid

exactly! you wrote your first program when i was one! anyway, i think i'm gonna follow your fantastic advice and buy them. at that price i couldn't lose cash. i'll still have fun trying spacers/ machining/KY jelly to get it to fit if it's not compatible!
Old 10-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Squid

just found something tasty online! the blackbird and the f4 wheels are compatible! and i see according to nuhawk here his son's f4 front is interchangable with his hawk! i'm soooo excited!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Superstock

Hey gazza that seller from South Africa is the same African prince that inherited a grip of of cash. He sent me a check, I cashed it and now I live under a freeway overpass.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:38 AM
Squid

huh? the only african princes i've ever seen were in american movies. sorry to hear about your living arrangement. hope you keep your hawk covered.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:00 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gazza
huh? the only african princes i've ever seen were in american movies. sorry to hear about your living arrangement. hope you keep your hawk covered.
Sal's talking about the 419 scams from Nigeria. There is a pretty funny website where a guy leads the scammers on and gets them to take photos of themselves holding a sign with "Phil McCracken" on it.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Squid

mmkay.....well comparing nigeria to where i live is like comparing brazil to where you live. totally different country, over 10 000 km away.