Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

anyone have aftermarket wheels?

Old 04-26-2009, 10:06 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
anyone have aftermarket wheels?

i bought carrozzeria wheels recently. what I like: lighter than OEM. Rear is 6"

what I don't like: spacers are tightened against the bearing surfaces instead of recessed into the center of the bearing like OEM.

is this common for aftermarket wheels? where can i get the spacers made?
Old 04-27-2009, 05:47 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I am running magnesium PVMs. Fortunately, I was able to fit them without having to resort to custom spacers (it turns out one of the spacers I had left over from my fork swap was just the right width at 22mm). Fit is perfect.

Actually, I had my bike at the shop this past Friday (got fork seal replaced) and, as he was rolling the bike off the lift, the mechanic noted that my bike was the freest rolling of all the bikes he has to move around the shop (guess the C3 bearings and low-friction seals all around must help).
Old 04-27-2009, 06:52 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well... the spacer i supposed to clamp to the bearing, it does that on an OEM wheel aswell... Only differnece is that on the OEM wheels there is a dustseal that it is recessed into if that's what you mean...

On all wheels there is a spacer clamping to the bearing which is supported by an internal spacer...
Old 04-27-2009, 07:38 AM
Back Marker

gssbmm
I have the same wheel it t works fine the way it is. the only really nice thing about the stock dust seals is that it keep the bearing in place for wheel changes which now I have to line them up and have my wife help, but that only because mine is a race bike and i'm changeing wheels about once every onther week. use good gresse and roll. I would imagine with out a dust seal the bearings are going to wear out slightly faster but I have called carozzeria and asked them about dust seals yet.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:14 AM
MotoGP

Tweety: Well... the spacer i supposed to clamp to the bearing, it does that on an OEM wheel aswell... Only differnece is that on the OEM wheels there is a dustseal that it is recessed into if that's what you mean...

On all wheels there is a spacer clamping to the bearing which is supported by an internal spacer...

Originally Posted by gssbmm
I have the same wheel it t works fine the way it is. the only really nice thing about the stock dust seals is that it keep the bearing in place for wheel changes which now I have to line them up and have my wife help, but that only because mine is a race bike and i'm changeing wheels about once every onther week. use good gresse and roll. I would imagine with out a dust seal the bearings are going to wear out slightly faster but I have called carozzeria and asked them about dust seals yet.
you guys are correct about the dust seals. i looked in the oem wheels and see what you mean. I had a difficult time trying to get all together. w/o dust seals it's like you need another set of hands and it didn't seem right to me since I've never ran across this before. I modded spacers on my previous bike, an 88 1000 hurricane for a 5 1/2" wheel transplant, but still was able to insert the spacer into the dust seal. don't appreciate it til you don't have it, huh!

I thought maybe this was the rationale for the 1/2 torque spec, but you guys dispelled that theory also.

what tire/tire size are you running on your carrozzeria?
PM me if you are able to get dust seals.

appreciate, nathan
Old 04-27-2009, 08:17 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
My rear is 6" wide too but I am running a 180/55, did not care for the lazy turn-in of the 190/50. Wouldn't mind looking at a 190/55 at some point in the future but am reluctant for two reasons: weight, and $$$$$. May do it after my engine rebuild, however.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Back Marker

gssbmm
mine are the old style when they were still HIPOINT so it is a 5.5 rear beacuse that was the bigest tire anyone ever even thought off for a superbike lol not like the 200 17 slick you can get from dunlop now ;-)
Old 04-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure if the OEM bearings are sealed on both sides, if they are, they are not using a very high performance seal... Hence the absolute need for external seals...

If you are using fully sealed bearing with a good seal, which is expensive (I hope that Carrozzeria has choosen this?)
Then the dustseal is good to have as extra protection, but not entirely life and death neccesary...
Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mikstr
My rear is 6" wide too but I am running a 180/55, did not care for the lazy turn-in of the 190/50. Wouldn't mind looking at a 190/55 at some point in the future but am reluctant for two reasons: weight, and $$$$$. May do it after my engine rebuild, however.
I got about a hundred miles on the BTO-16 190x50 and i can tell it's signifcantly heavier than the BTO-14 180x55 it replaced. I don't like heavy part. don't have a true weight, but Sport Rider says that the 190x55 is about a 1/2 lb heavier than the 180x55, so I would deduce that the 190x50 is between the two at about 14lbs. By the feel of it. i wouldn't doubt that the BTO-14 was about 12lbs, a huge difference in spinning weight, huh?

Also, acc to SR tire weights for the 190x55, the dunlop is heaviest at 15.7lbs, while the pirelli and the avon are 13.18 and 13.04lbs respectively.
the BTO-16 is in the middle at 14.22lbs for the 190x55.

what's surprising to me is the Avon Viper Extreme av62 rear is not only the lightest at 13.04lbs but has a relatively high circumference(increased seat height) and is one of the widest tread at 240mm.

In terms of the 100 mile ride feel of the BTO-16 190x55, it feels noticeably heavier, and it feels more like you're riding on a small hump/patch and can fall off much easier than the worn BTO-14 to be expected. Otherwise, it feels good leaned over. Although i'm leaning the same as with the 180x55 BTO-14's having no chicken strips, on the 190x50's/6" rim there is a about a 1/2" chicken strip. Maybe we'll have to explore a little more lean angle, huh.

thanks, nathan