Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

4 Degree ignition advancer question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Squid

stumplove is on a distinguished road
4 Degree ignition advancer question

Im debating a +4 degree ignition advancer for my 98 hawk and a little bit of what I have read on here is that its either love it or hate it for most people. Anyone care to weigh in as to whether is worth the 90 bucks from factory pro or not. Thanks all!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:52 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
the search function will reveal what years itll work for, yours being an old one i think has that 4 degree timing advance from factory, the newer bikes didnt have it, dont quote me on it but i think thats correct
Old 01-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
I still say you guys are thinking backwards...... the timing was advanced when the new ECUs came out.

Also Marc @ FactoryPro is a great guy but he would have to be part of the psychic friends network if the advancers were for 2001 and up bikes.

The reason I say this is the advancers came out in '98 and were developed on a '98 model year bike.

So after all that, yes I do have one ( a 4 degree unit) on my '98. It is hard to say exactly how well it works as I did a couple of other things at the same time I installed the advancer. It does seem to rev a bit quicker and pull a bit harder down low, but like I said, it might not all be due to the advancer.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:40 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stumplove
Im debating a +4 degree ignition advancer for my 98 hawk and a little bit of what I have read on here is that its either love it or hate it for most people. Anyone care to weigh in as to whether is worth the 90 bucks from factory pro or not. Thanks all!
I believe you mentioned going to HC pistons...no? I was cautioned against using the advancer with high compression. I removed and sold mine to a fellow forum member when I made the switch to JE's. Then again, it may not hurt to give them a try together. Your call.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:39 PM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
I put one in my bike the same time I put the stronger clutch springs in and the FP shift kit. I liked the results but I did it along with the tps fix so that said dont know what just the advance would do. Im in the same boat as far as trying to decide if I want it in with the addition of my JE pistons I need more information but from what is said that the newer bikes have the advance im thinking it would not cause pre ignition of the fuel.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Squid

stumplove is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mboe794
I believe you mentioned going to HC pistons...no? I was cautioned against using the advancer with high compression. I removed and sold mine to a fellow forum member when I made the switch to JE's. Then again, it may not hurt to give them a try together. Your call.
I do want to go to HC pistons. If the later hawks came with the +4 advance factory, I hope some people with the later hawks who have the JE pistons can weigh in as to what they think. If its a one or the other kind of situation I guess I will go with the HC pistons over the advance since I already have the motor out and torn down and an advancer I can add without dropping the motor at a later time.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:34 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
well if you go with hc pistons and a 4 degree advance higher octane fuel should solve any issues you have. what year engines would have had the factory timing advance and how can you tell by looking at the engine? my 01 has had its motor replaced, not sure the year it came out of. but were putting in the timing advance into it along with the clutch and i wanna make sure its not a motor that might have one already