Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

2nd gear power...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
2nd gear power...

Need some help from you fellas. My Hawk is stock performance wise except for a bafflectomy. 1st gear will pull the front wheel like its not even there but i would like 2nd gear to pull the wheel too. Need more POWER!! Can you guys point me in the direction of some mods to increase power? I know that there is not alot to be done from reading old posts but your input would be awesome. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:25 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
An easy one would be to change your gearing. Perhaps 43 teeth on the rear sprocket.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Super Byrd
Superstock

Byrdman is on a distinguished road
Just go down a tooth on your front sprocket. You'll be able to pull the front off then . Your stock gearing is 16 in the front and 41 for the rear, just get a 15 front sprocket and it takes about 20-30min to install for about 30-40 bucks. The front is easier to change than the rear and you don't have to get a longer chain.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:38 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gregw
An easy one would be to change your gearing. Perhaps 43 teeth on the rear sprocket.
+1 on the gearing if you're looking to pull the wheel easier in 2nd
Old 09-09-2009, 09:00 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
you also wanna keep in mind that if you ride out first till redline your hitting second at 60 mph. mines lifted the front wheel on me from a second gear roll if i punch it hard a few times and once while doing about 75 mph i rolled into an elevation drop and the front came right up. sprocket is your best bet. dont go more than 1 tooth down in the front, or start with that and then adjust the rear. go up a couple. i believe that for every 3 teeth you go up in the rear its the same as dropping 1 in the front
Old 09-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Superstock

Thanks guys. Now will this change the speedometer reading at all? I assume it will run a higher rpm on the highway because of this? Not very knowledgeable when it comes to sprocket mods!
Old 09-10-2009, 03:45 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dshakes
Thanks guys. Now will this change the speedometer reading at all? I assume it will run a higher rpm on the highway because of this? Not very knowledgeable when it comes to sprocket mods!
Yes, the speedometer is already quite inaccurate and this will make it more so. To get that corrected for a sprocket change you would have to get a speedo healer. That or remember when it says that you are going 60 you are actually only going 50 (or whatever it works out to)
Old 09-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
this bike to me beggs to have one tooth knocked off the front.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:48 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
I went -1, +2 for a short bit, but then ditched the -1 and went just +2 on the rear (about equal to -1 front)... I can notice the change from stock, but the -1 OR +2 I don't notice that much difference in the both vs one or the other... So take that for what its worth....

As far as second gear wheelies... With my +2 rear, it still takes the right timing to just power wheelie second gear... and a power wheelie in second gear is nothing like first gear... WAY faster, starts coming up slower, but once its starts, its more dramatic the rest of the way up...

I never clutch in first, no need... but second gear I've found it way smoother to bring the bike to about 3k rpm, quick clutch in, rev, and release will bring her up pretty quickly and gives you plenty of RMP range to ride her out if your not hitting balance point... which is WAY up there it feels like.. lol

I think 2k rpm to about 4k rpm will still throw it up there.. 3500+ takes a lot of gas on the clutch up, as with 2k takes only about half rev to pop it up...

This gives you a much more controllable second gear wheelie, with more distance to ride without red lining it the entire time...
Old 09-12-2009, 02:56 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by lazn
Yes, the speedometer is already quite inaccurate and this will make it more so. To get that corrected for a sprocket change you would have to get a speedo healer. That or remember when it says that you are going 60 you are actually only going 50 (or whatever it works out to)
Thanks lazn. It always felt like the speed was wacked out to me on that thing. I just chalked it up to nature of the beast. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:00 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by joshuatest
I went -1, +2 for a short bit, but then ditched the -1 and went just +2 on the rear (about equal to -1 front)... I can notice the change from stock, but the -1 OR +2 I don't notice that much difference in the both vs one or the other... So take that for what its worth....

As far as second gear wheelies... With my +2 rear, it still takes the right timing to just power wheelie second gear... and a power wheelie in second gear is nothing like first gear... WAY faster, starts coming up slower, but once its starts, its more dramatic the rest of the way up...

I never clutch in first, no need... but second gear I've found it way smoother to bring the bike to about 3k rpm, quick clutch in, rev, and release will bring her up pretty quickly and gives you plenty of RMP range to ride her out if your not hitting balance point... which is WAY up there it feels like.. lol

I think 2k rpm to about 4k rpm will still throw it up there.. 3500+ takes a lot of gas on the clutch up, as with 2k takes only about half rev to pop it up...

This gives you a much more controllable second gear wheelie, with more distance to ride without red lining it the entire time...
I will definitely go experiment with the 2nd gear dumps. First is easy but i always seem to run out of rpms! I agree the balance point seems like its farther back than straight up and down! I have stood it up a time or two and about **** myself. Thanks for the reply