Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

2 brake lines or 1?

Old 02-12-2010, 09:11 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
2 brake lines or 1?

When I had to get longer lines many years ago I went with 2 separate lines to the MC and ditched the 1 split into two lines. I think it is supposed to actually be an improvement, but if it is I can't detect it, and while it makes no sense I swear the lever travel is longer. Mostly its a real pain to bleed the two lines, at least for me. I need new ones again and am thinking I'll go back to the original design. Any of you using 2 lines, had any problems? any bleeding tricks? I've done all the typical stuff - mightvac, bleeding at the upper banjo bolt, the old fashioned pump-bleed-pump etc.

bill
Old 02-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Speed bleeders are your friend..... at least they solved most if not all of my problems.
http://www.speedbleeder.com/
Old 02-13-2010, 07:43 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
speedbleeders only work if you can build enough pressure for them to open. don't use them on a dry line.

a lot of bleed problem occur because people don't bleed their master cylinder... probably because most don't have a bleed screw. so, turn your bars to get the mc at it's highest point, put pressure on the brake lever and crack open the banjo bolt.

tim
Old 02-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by trinc View Post
speedbleeders only work if you can build enough pressure for them to open. don't use them on a dry line.

a lot of bleed problem occur because people don't bleed their master cylinder... probably because most don't have a bleed screw. so, turn your bars to get the mc at it's highest point, put pressure on the brake lever and crack open the banjo bolt.

tim
Of course they don't work with a dry line..... and the OP has already done the banjo bolt per his post.

I have also put a banjo bolt with a bleeder on the master on my set up which also makes things a bit easier
Old 02-13-2010, 08:55 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
yup, have tried both. I bought the MC used, though its a very new model from a 1000rr. but perhaps it is worth rebuilding or at least disassembling and cleaning - I just trustingly threw it on.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:03 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cliby View Post
When I had to get longer lines many years ago I went with 2 separate lines to the MC and ditched the 1 split into two lines. I think it is supposed to actually be an improvement, but if it is I can't detect it, and while it makes no sense I swear the lever travel is longer. Mostly its a real pain to bleed the two lines, at least for me. I need new ones again and am thinking I'll go back to the original design. Any of you using 2 lines, had any problems? any bleeding tricks? I've done all the typical stuff - mightvac, bleeding at the upper banjo bolt, the old fashioned pump-bleed-pump etc.

bill
I use a mighty-vac a couple times on each side first and finally losen the nut holding the two banjos at the clip-ons while squeezing the brake(a millisecond) and works great. I've bled many times in the process of brake judder resolution and this method works well.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
No problems bleeding the double lines with a mighty vac. Wrapping the lever with a bungy overnight might help. Another method is to vac most of the fluid out of the resevior. Then, with a large syringe and some clear tubing, fill the syringe with brake fluid and feed it into the bleeder at the caliper, backing it up to the MC and resevior.I did my dirt bikes this way with great results.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Back Marker

toy4xchris is on a distinguished road
I want to go to steel braided lines but with the 954 and convertibar swap I dont have a lot of space was looking for a single split line is there actually any out there like that?
Old 02-20-2010, 05:56 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by toy4xchris View Post
I want to go to steel braided lines but with the 954 and convertibar swap I dont have a lot of space was looking for a single split line is there actually any out there like that?

Spiegler will make custom configuration lines.

http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/customline.cfm

Rex
Old 02-21-2010, 06:03 AM
Back Marker

JDRiderCoach is on a distinguished road
I was thinking of these banjo bolts from Venhill.....I usually wind up cracking open the fitting on the MC, which is crude and messy, but works. Not sure if this one is different from the speed bleeder fitting. I'm getting some of these fittings to try out. I'll let you know the results. I can also get custom sets from Venhill, which ever hose, fitting combo you want, to your lengths.
Attached Thumbnails 2 brake lines or 1?-410100dc_l.jpg  
Old 02-21-2010, 09:27 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
The bleed banjo bolts are supposed to be the ticket, but I'v never used them.

I'd say the main thing is to be sure you have all the air out of the lines, before you bleed from the banjos.

I've had good luck angling the master cylinder so the air goes to the high point, then pushing the brake pads back to force fluid out of the slave cylinders in the calipers. then you know you have all the air out of the lines.

In that case I think two lines are easier to bleed, because they both go to the top.