SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   2 brake lines or 1? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/2-brake-lines-1-a-21552/)

cliby 02-12-2010 09:11 PM

2 brake lines or 1?

When I had to get longer lines many years ago I went with 2 separate lines to the MC and ditched the 1 split into two lines. I think it is supposed to actually be an improvement, but if it is I can't detect it, and while it makes no sense I swear the lever travel is longer. Mostly its a real pain to bleed the two lines, at least for me. I need new ones again and am thinking I'll go back to the original design. Any of you using 2 lines, had any problems? any bleeding tricks? I've done all the typical stuff - mightvac, bleeding at the upper banjo bolt, the old fashioned pump-bleed-pump etc.

bill

8541Hawk 02-12-2010 09:55 PM

Speed bleeders are your friend..... at least they solved most if not all of my problems. ;)
http://www.speedbleeder.com/

trinc 02-13-2010 07:43 AM

speedbleeders only work if you can build enough pressure for them to open. don't use them on a dry line.

a lot of bleed problem occur because people don't bleed their master cylinder... probably because most don't have a bleed screw. so, turn your bars to get the mc at it's highest point, put pressure on the brake lever and crack open the banjo bolt.

tim

8541Hawk 02-13-2010 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by trinc (Post 253830)
speedbleeders only work if you can build enough pressure for them to open. don't use them on a dry line.

a lot of bleed problem occur because people don't bleed their master cylinder... probably because most don't have a bleed screw. so, turn your bars to get the mc at it's highest point, put pressure on the brake lever and crack open the banjo bolt.

tim

Of course they don't work with a dry line..... and the OP has already done the banjo bolt per his post.

I have also put a banjo bolt with a bleeder on the master on my set up which also makes things a bit easier

cliby 02-13-2010 08:55 AM

yup, have tried both. I bought the MC used, though its a very new model from a 1000rr. but perhaps it is worth rebuilding or at least disassembling and cleaning - I just trustingly threw it on.

nath981 02-13-2010 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by cliby (Post 253816)
When I had to get longer lines many years ago I went with 2 separate lines to the MC and ditched the 1 split into two lines. I think it is supposed to actually be an improvement, but if it is I can't detect it, and while it makes no sense I swear the lever travel is longer. Mostly its a real pain to bleed the two lines, at least for me. I need new ones again and am thinking I'll go back to the original design. Any of you using 2 lines, had any problems? any bleeding tricks? I've done all the typical stuff - mightvac, bleeding at the upper banjo bolt, the old fashioned pump-bleed-pump etc.

bill

I use a mighty-vac a couple times on each side first and finally losen the nut holding the two banjos at the clip-ons while squeezing the brake(a millisecond) and works great. I've bled many times in the process of brake judder resolution and this method works well.

superbeater 02-19-2010 09:41 PM

No problems bleeding the double lines with a mighty vac. Wrapping the lever with a bungy overnight might help. Another method is to vac most of the fluid out of the resevior. Then, with a large syringe and some clear tubing, fill the syringe with brake fluid and feed it into the bleeder at the caliper, backing it up to the MC and resevior.I did my dirt bikes this way with great results.

toy4xchris 02-19-2010 10:42 PM

I want to go to steel braided lines but with the 954 and convertibar swap I dont have a lot of space was looking for a single split line is there actually any out there like that?

bjorn toulouse 02-20-2010 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by toy4xchris (Post 254646)
I want to go to steel braided lines but with the 954 and convertibar swap I dont have a lot of space was looking for a single split line is there actually any out there like that?

Spiegler will make custom configuration lines.

http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/customline.cfm

Rex

JDRiderCoach 02-21-2010 06:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was thinking of these banjo bolts from Venhill.....I usually wind up cracking open the fitting on the MC, which is crude and messy, but works. Not sure if this one is different from the speed bleeder fitting. I'm getting some of these fittings to try out. I'll let you know the results. I can also get custom sets from Venhill, which ever hose, fitting combo you want, to your lengths.

RCVTR 02-21-2010 09:27 PM

The bleed banjo bolts are supposed to be the ticket, but I'v never used them.

I'd say the main thing is to be sure you have all the air out of the lines, before you bleed from the banjos.

I've had good luck angling the master cylinder so the air goes to the high point, then pushing the brake pads back to force fluid out of the slave cylinders in the calipers. then you know you have all the air out of the lines.

In that case I think two lines are easier to bleed, because they both go to the top.