Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

signal and running light question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Squid

kostavtr is on a distinguished road
signal and running light question

Please help me figure out if this is do-able or just plain stupid bc i have no clue when it comes to wiring but since the stock front signal set up is 3 wire..1 being ground, 1 running, and 1 turn..could i wire aftermarket signals to just the turn wire being it just a 2 wire setup and ground...and mount a seperate running light and wire it to the stock running wire and same ground as the turn signal being 2 wires to 1 ground? Forgive me if that is incredibly stupid i just had a thought about it and couldn't find through a search and noone else i know had any idea. Thanks for ur help fellas
Old 07-27-2009, 06:51 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Sorry I can't follow you.

Please provide more detail as to what you are talking about, preferably with punctuation to make it easier to read. We can then give you some info.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Squid

Sorry I was in a hurry and just blurted it all out haha..Anyway, the stock wiring for the turn signals if I am correct are as follows: green=ground, solid with dot=running light and solid=blinker. I have a set of aftermarket turn signals which are 2 wire and would not allow me to have running lights. If i connect the aftermarket as normal but add another set of lights in a different location to have as seperate running lights, would i be able to connect the wire from those to the already existing running light wire? Please let me know if thats easier to understand I can try and draw it out if you need. Thanks a lot!
Old 07-27-2009, 07:17 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
Yes - with a ground obviously and with the understanding not to run light requiring more amperage than was designed for. No manual at the moment to give definitive amperage rating
Old 07-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Squid

sorry i don't understand about the amperage..is there a certain amount I'm limited to do that? as for the ground wire, could I use the same as the blinkers? Thanks for the thelp!
Old 07-28-2009, 06:34 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kostavtr
sorry i don't understand about the amperage..is there a certain amount I'm limited to do that? as for the ground wire, could I use the same as the blinkers? Thanks for the thelp!
What calitoz is trying to tell you is that your original turn signals were rated at a certain number of watts (divide by the 12v and you get amps). the rating is in the manual so look that up. What ever you are replacing them with should not be much more than the originals.
Not rocket science - this is like a lamp that says do not use more than a 100 watt bulb. Look at what you had and use that as an upper limit guide

PS the ground is fine
Old 07-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Squid

ok awesome thanks man that you put that pretty simple