Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Integrated turn signal LED brake light

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 10:46 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Integrated turn signal LED brake light

I'm thinking of adding one of the LED brake lights w/integrated turn signals found on Ebay. I was rinding with some friends who pointed out the turn signals on the mototech undertail I installed last fall were very hard to see. I'm hoping adding the tailight with the signals might help,
In any case there are several available on Ebay from about $45 to $100+ and they all look identical. Anyone ever try these? any difference between the least and more expensive? For $50 I would like to get at least 2+ seasons before LEDs drop out.
Thoughts?
Old 05-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Back Marker

malahhaor is on a distinguished road
i wanted to go for one of those but my cousin mentioned that one of his friends has a similar one on his bike and they are very dim and hard to see in the daylight, so i just went and got slim LED turn signals in place of where originals were. seems to work better and they were only 10 bucks.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Squid

Hawk2445 is on a distinguished road
I got the integrated tailight from clear alternatives. But does anyone have any idea on how to wire the damn brake light? Thanks.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:42 PM
SuperSport

I ended up with the no name of ebay and am happy so far. As for wiring there is another thread https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=18851
This might help. The pics shown wre just like my ebay tailight - the two extra wires were right and left signals.
Experiment - LEDs are Diodes. One way they will work, the other they won't. You won't blow any fuses as long as you keep the Shawk's hot wire away from the frame or the ground
Old 06-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Superstock

maverick is on a distinguished road
Why the hell does anybody pay $50 for $8 worth of relays??? Do it your damn selves. Here's a write up I wrote for customfighters. Take all of 20 minutes to do...

With a two bulb taillight it is very easy and cheap to integrate your blinkers, and here's how. The only items you need to buy are:

2 NORMALLY CLOSED (nc) 12v relays from radio shack, which usually run in the price range of about $3 to $4. If all you can find are single pole double throw relays, which was all they had the day I went, you can still use those, simply do not use the post labeled NO or normally open. The relays I used were part #275-248 12VDC/125VAC 10A SPDT Mini Relay and looked like this

It listed for $4.69 a piece

A small amount of wire, some heat shrink, and some solder.

Now there are two halves to this, one for each side obviously, so follow these instructions for one side, then repeat for the other.

Here's a quick schematic of the wiring

What you want to do is find the ground wire for one bulb (if they splice together to share a ground you have to separate them) and cut it. Solder the wire that is still attached to your tail light (1) to one of the switch terminals on the relay. The wire that connects to ground (2) can be soldered onto the other switch terminal. Then, simply solder the positive wire that went to your blinker(3), to one of the relay posts. After that you can solder a jumper from terminal 2 to terminal 4 so that the coil has a ground.

Now, when the flasher goes off, it will trigger the relay and break the ground connection for that side tail light. Whether the bulb is on tail light or brake light, it will turn off and back on just like a turn signal would. Repeat for the other side and you're done. All you have to do is find a place to stick the small relays.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:11 PM
SuperSport

Umm... Cuz its cool to have a clear lens, LEDs, red brakes and yellow turn signals?
Old 06-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Superstock

maverick is on a distinguished road
well I can see the clear lenses... but led bulbs to replace the stock ones are like 10 bucks a pair... and no yellow is not cool.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Redtail Raptor
Squid

cljackson99 is on a distinguished road
I bought one of the $50 lights off Ebay a year ago. No problems so far (knock on wood). Easily bright enough and I think the integrated signals are more attention grabbing than standard blinkers. Went with the clear lense. I've got video of it on YouTube, although I've since gone with Proton front LEDs and removed the tiny rear LEDs and trimmed out the rear fender. It's a nice, clean look. Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzCuYblUUz4&NR=1
Old 06-22-2009, 09:43 PM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
lazn and I went with the 50 dollar ones off ebay months ago and they work fine. We both got the smoked ones so not clear and not red. It is kind of difficult to see what blinker is actually blinking when riding behind them. Lazn added small yellow led's to his passenger pegs which makes it much better.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:22 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by yruyur
lazn and I went with the 50 dollar ones off ebay months ago and they work fine. We both got the smoked ones so not clear and not red. It is kind of difficult to see what blinker is actually blinking when riding behind them. Lazn added small yellow led's to his passenger pegs which makes it much better.
Only thing I would add is don't drop them while handling.. lol, I did mine and had to rig up some washers to mount it as the plastic that holds the grommets were not sturdy enough to handle the drop.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:54 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by lazn
Only thing I would add is don't drop them while handling.. lol, I did mine and had to rig up some washers to mount it as the plastic that holds the grommets were not sturdy enough to handle the drop.
on mine, the connector hole on one side was broken when I got it. rather than sending it back and maybe getting a refund, I just jury rigged it. since then the other side has snapped as well. more wire, and better again. when you take my seat off now, you can see that the taillight is held in place entirely by wire that I have stretched across the section just behind where the tool kit goes. it may not look pretty, but its more stabil than it was stock. and it beats buying a new one.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:36 AM
Squid

supertim996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by maverick
Why the hell does anybody pay $50 for $8 worth of relays??? Do it your damn selves. Here's a write up I wrote for customfighters. Take all of 20 minutes to do...

With a two bulb taillight it is very easy and cheap to integrate your blinkers, and here's how. The only items you need to buy are:

2 NORMALLY CLOSED (nc) 12v relays from radio shack, which usually run in the price range of about $3 to $4. If all you can find are single pole double throw relays, which was all they had the day I went, you can still use those, simply do not use the post labeled NO or normally open. The relays I used were part #275-248 12VDC/125VAC 10A SPDT Mini Relay and looked like this

It listed for $4.69 a piece

A small amount of wire, some heat shrink, and some solder.

Now there are two halves to this, one for each side obviously, so follow these instructions for one side, then repeat for the other.

Here's a quick schematic of the wiring

What you want to do is find the ground wire for one bulb (if they splice together to share a ground you have to separate them) and cut it. Solder the wire that is still attached to your tail light (1) to one of the switch terminals on the relay. The wire that connects to ground (2) can be soldered onto the other switch terminal. Then, simply solder the positive wire that went to your blinker(3), to one of the relay posts. After that you can solder a jumper from terminal 2 to terminal 4 so that the coil has a ground.

Now, when the flasher goes off, it will trigger the relay and break the ground connection for that side tail light. Whether the bulb is on tail light or brake light, it will turn off and back on just like a turn signal would. Repeat for the other side and you're done. All you have to do is find a place to stick the small relays.
So I got two white ceramic relays? or resisters? They go in line to get the brake lights to work?
Old 08-08-2014, 08:26 AM
Back Marker

wannabridin is on a distinguished road
I have the guts from one that i modified. i'll sell it to you for cheap if you want to experiment with it and see if you like it?