Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Show me your rear end!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 08:50 AM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Splika
Ok cool. I think I am going to buy that under fender piece.. it says it does not fit a 98 but I think its wrong. I have a piece that I ordered on ebay that is metal and has a tag light on it. I do not see how this works together with that fender piece..
well,the problem with this piece is,it wont work with the under tail you have.
it is made to fill in the hole where you would cut off the plastic on on the stock tray.
you will need something like this to bolt it up to the undertail.it will hold the blinkers,tag and tag light.
Attached Thumbnails Show me your rear end!-targa_fender_eliminator_kit_yamaha_yzf_r1_02_03.jpg  
Old 01-25-2014, 10:24 AM
Back Marker

996thehawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by saige
well,the problem with this piece is,it wont work with the under tail you have.
it is made to fill in the hole where you would cut off the plastic on on the stock tray.
you will need something like this to bolt it up to the undertail.it will hold the blinkers,tag and tag light.
Saige, is that a direct fit for the superhawk? I have the stock setup right now and was considering cutting it down a little to clean it up. I just didn't know what to get as far as blinker and something to hold my plate. I struck out with the undertail kit. I can't seem to find a reasonable aftermarket one anymore.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:41 AM
the boss
SuperBike

are you talking about the tag bracket kit pic,
if so,that will go on most of any after market under tail.either have to drill holes or line them up with holes on the under tail.will have to have a 3rd hole to run wires to signals and lights.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:34 AM
Squid

Splika is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't mind going back to stock. I don't think it looks bad personally. I just want it to be Solid..
Old 01-25-2014, 09:16 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Splika,
Like mentioned above, you will need the seat lock (kinda outlined for ya) and what wasn't mentioned yet, is two rubber fasteners (circled).

Name:  5ef7f3a2e36ee7d3fb2d3df6a5882167.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  232.9 KB

The rubber fasteners are like a piece of rubber with a nut captured in the end of it. Instead of buying from Honda, you can get fasteners that you can use from your local hardware store (Ace Hardware has automotive type fasteners).

Here is the stuff you will need if you want your bike to have just one key. Click here
This auction was just used as an example. Not telling you to place a bid.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:38 AM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
I am pretty happy just with a cut-down stock fender like Wolverines. It spares me the headaches of re-mounting the license plate and turn signals and hoping the signals are still visible to semi-comatose cagers.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:46 AM
Squid

I already ordered the stock under tail. I dont care about that aftermarket one that I have. I will put it on ebay if I get everything else right. I wouldn't mind going with a KIT but I can't find a good kit anywhere.

Anybody know what where this piece bolts on?
Attached Thumbnails Show me your rear end!-100_1007.jpg  
Old 01-26-2014, 07:19 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Anybody know what where this piece bolts on?
It looks like a home made piece. The way you are holding it in the picture, lift it straight up to the very back of the tail. Not sure how it mounts though. Looks like that black oval thing holds a light which shines on the license plate. The license plate is placed over the two rectangles. Understand? Thats the best I can come up with, without seeing it in my hands.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:12 AM
Squid

yeah its the license plate and tail light bracket. I just don't see how or where it would fit. it lightly says HONDA on the back. Has the spot of the seat lock. Also has the spots for turn signals. I just haven't seen any pictures on a bike. I guess I will find out more when my fender comes in.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:04 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Ah, that's right, you don't have the stock plastic piece under your tail. That's why you can't see it. I'd assume that it would attach to the stock plastic piece.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:30 PM
Squid

That's what I am thinking. I will post some pics when it comes in! Should be here in a couple more days...
Old 01-27-2014, 12:00 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
I cut my stock fender under tray, removed a reflector and moved my license plate up as far as possible.

Drilled a hole in the plate to fit the seat lock and fitted an integrated L.E.D Tail light, then made up a stainless plate to keep everything neat.

Hope this doesn't confuse the issue but It is a lot neater than the stock setup.

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2014, 04:11 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Splika, in a thread that turned up in one of my recent searches, I saw the metal license plate part w/light you have. Click here.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:35 PM
Squid

Yep! That's it. I hope that under fender has a spot to bolt it to. Still kinda hard to tell but at least I have an idea! THANKS!!!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:46 PM
Squid

Also he stated in there that it was an aftermarket plate holder.. I was told it is stock. That may be the difference between the VTR1000F A and the VTR1000F AC models...
Old 01-29-2014, 10:19 AM
Back Marker

kenmoore, looks real nice. exactly what I plan on doing with my bike. Nice and clean.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:22 PM
Back Marker

Finally got my tire hugger. Just waiting for the weather to break to continue working on tail.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:56 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Nice, clean bike 996thehawk! You have the exact same lower cowl as I have. I got mine off eBay and it has no name on it and your bike is the first one I've seen with the same as mine. Did you buy yours brand new? If so, who makes it? Yours is fiberglass, right? Sorry for all the questions man, I'm just curious is all.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:59 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
Nice, clean bike 996thehawk! You have the exact same lower cowl as I have. I got mine off eBay and it has no name on it and your bike is the first one I've seen with the same as mine. Did you buy yours brand new? If so, who makes it? Yours is fiberglass, right? Sorry for all the questions man, I'm just curious is all.
Thanks man! This was my last wash after my last ride in 13. Right after I got slammed by a deer. Decided to put her away for the season lol. Ruttin season is bad up here lol. I actually bought the bike locally from a guy who bought the lower cowl from a friend, used. It is fiberglass. I have no idea who makes it. I definitely like it. Looks like he had to make custom brackets to hold it on. Fits pretty well but one bracket broke. Otherwise I love it. Makes the bike in my opinion.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:16 PM
Squid

I also like the lower cowl! Looks very good.

On another note. My part came in today. Came in great shape. Unfortunately someone has cut the very end off and altered it a little... The license bracket I have does not fit on there...dam it...
Old 01-30-2014, 04:19 PM
the boss
SuperBike

I also like the lower cowl! Looks very good.

On another note. My part came in today. Came in great shape. Unfortunately someone has cut the very end off and altered it a little... The license bracket I have does not fit on there...dam it...
lets see what you have,put some pics up.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:22 PM
Squid

As I promised... Pictures!

Under Tail Fender.

Was kind of a pain to get it in there but not bad. Had to unplug everything to get the wires out of the way. So much better knowing my electrical is safer!
Attached Thumbnails Show me your rear end!-100_1018.jpg   Show me your rear end!-100_1019.jpg   Show me your rear end!-100_1020.jpg   Show me your rear end!-100_1021.jpg   Show me your rear end!-100_1022.jpg  

Old 01-30-2014, 04:26 PM
Squid

Under Tail Fender.

I got everything plugged back in. Ran wires where I thought they should go. Moved everything to the rear. Looks much better!
Attached Thumbnails Show me your rear end!-100_1024.jpg   Show me your rear end!-100_1025.jpg   Show me your rear end!-100_1026.jpg   Show me your rear end!-100_1028.jpg  
Old 01-30-2014, 04:27 PM
Squid

Under Tail Fender.

This is all that was left of the stock fender... Just the battery box and mud guard.
Attached Thumbnails Show me your rear end!-100_1027.jpg  
Old 01-30-2014, 04:30 PM
Squid

I'm not sure if I put everything in the right place but I gave it my Best Guess!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:35 AM
Back Marker

Looks pretty good. It is pretty hacked up but you may be able to get it to work and look good. Much better having the majority of the factory undertail to hold everything in place.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:24 AM
Squid

Yes much better. For the next step i need the seat latch and key. I am really looking foward to putting my bike back together!

Hey Saige.. do you have a link to that license/turn signal barcket you mentioned at the top of page 2?
Old 01-31-2014, 08:27 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Splika, don't be suprised if the mods move all this to its own thread. You kinda took this one over!

Looking at the pictures you took, it looks like your subframe is tweaked a bit. The back looks kind of low on the right side. Maybe it's just the picture, I'm not sure.
However, if it is, I had the same issue with my subframe. Mine was twisted just like yours and the plastics wouldn't line up correctly and the seat wouldn't lock properly.

I took a string and ran it down the centerline of the bike, then using tie downs I was able to get the bike perfectly plumb (perpendicular to the ground). Then, using a long pipe, I was able to twist the subframe back to stock. The plastics line up great and the seat lock works fantastic.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:43 PM
the boss
SuperBike

Honda Fender Eliminator Complete Kit Univ | eBay
Old 01-31-2014, 10:15 PM
Squid

yeah I kinda did take it over lol

All In Good Fun!