Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Removing stock bar ends.........

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 09:23 PM
Squid

NoCats
Removing stock bar ends.........

I can get the actual ends off, but the insert inside the clip-on doesn't seem to want to come out. Do they even? Help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Insert...inside the clip-on...? If the bar-end came out (the part not hidden by the grip), then that is all to the bar end you just removed.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:25 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
They actually make a special tool for this, but I've been able to remove them by using the stock bar end bolt and some vice grips. You really have to pull on them to get 'em out. Try squirting a little WD-40 in there first. There are two rubber bushings that hold the weight assembly in. But again, it's not easy to do. Don't pull your bike over on it's side.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Squid

NoCats
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
They actually make a special tool for this, but I've been able to remove them by using the stock bar end bolt and some vice grips. You really have to pull on them to get 'em out. Try squirting a little WD-40 in there first. There are two rubber bushings that hold the weight assembly in. But again, it's not easy to do. Don't pull your bike over on it's side.

Thanks. Yeah, I was pulling on the right side one with the bolt and vice grips and actually pulled the bike off its kick-stand. I was like, f this. I'm not about to hurt anything on me or my bike trying to do this, might as well ask before I get into it anymore. I'll try the wd-40 route before I try to wrangle up that tool from somewhere.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:29 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Try crashing your bike like I did-that got them to come out. No, seriously they're weights/vibration dampeners and on the inner end there is a rubber ring that grips the inside of the bar. Using some oil and the bar end bolt is probably the way to go. If I remember correctly under the grips towards the inside end of the weight there was a small hole in the clip on itself that could be helpful in getting some oil in there, etc.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:36 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
We pulled my son's out and it was a two man job. The bike had obviously sat outside for a while at one point because the rubber parts were rusty. Once you oil the bars to you have to clean them when putting new guts back in or do you go to aftermarket stuff the has its own little grippers?
Old 11-10-2006, 07:13 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Just curious, what do you want to remove the vibration reducer?
Old 11-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Squid

thehandyman is on a distinguished road
I had to do this when I istalled heli bars. there are two ****, that hold that in look for little hole and bend them in. will come out without breaking then.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
The bike had obviously sat outside for a while at one point because the rubber parts were rusty.
That's some serious weather exposure if the rubber rusted!
Old 11-10-2006, 06:39 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
No kidding, RPV! Everything inside those bars was rusty. Doug we pulled the guts out to put new grips on the bars - sort of. Once we got the bar ends off, we could not get them to retighten. Having exhausted all options we thought we would just replace the guts with new parts from Honda. If they are vibration reducers the technology is lost on a CBR600 because with a good set of Oury grips you can't feel any vibration anyway. Having discovered this we just tossed the bar ends in the parts box and never did pursue the new parts. Now the Superhawk - that's different. It got the full treatment but the guts in the bars were good so it wasn't an issue. Even with the heavy weight (I think they're 11.25) bar ends the dam thing still kills my hands but I'm getting better. I've been doing some exercises to help improve the circulation in my hands. GF likes it too although it doesn't work as good when she's on top.