Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Projector Retrofit...My Version

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 06:53 AM
Superstock

archaicguy is on a distinguished road
Ok look, even though I was rubbed raw by your tempertantrum and statements like "you are another brash, arrogant american - furthering the UK's poor perspective of our descendants" when I said I was not going to give out the file to just anyone that requested it,I can somewhat understand.

I will not hold a grudge and will offer the DXF file to anyone interested in it provided that it is not used or modified for sale and used to make a profit. Keep in mind that it is setup to be used with the FX-R projector and would still need holes drilled in it to mount the projector and adjusting tee-nuts since I never added those to the file.

If anyone wants it that does not have access to a waterjet to cut the plate I can offer to give the overall outside dimensions of the plate which could be sawed out or I could possibly offer a plate already cut for the cost of material and shipping.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:01 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Wow, good showing archiac. That is way more in the biking brotherhood spirit. Helps renew some faith in this forum (and humanity).
Old 04-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Habitual fettler
Squid

cliveyandrews is on a distinguished road
Thank you Jeff - most kind of you - I appreciate it.

I'm just working some designs through - I am wondering if I can squeeze 2 units in - maybe flare the housing a little to get them in. It must be kinda possible - look at the aftermarket twin units - OK, they aren't recessed - I guess the concern is the effect/vignetting if the beam hits the housing.

I am thinking making the offside a flat beam pattern, the nearside with a dip cut off. If I have Bi-xenons, there must be a way to adapt the height of the mask and aim to get further projection when the mask is down - in full beam mode. (I'm thinking offside raised aim slightly, compensated by the mask to bring cut off the same)...

Am I mad?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well, as I have said in another thread before... There really is no way at all to squeze two FX-R projectors in there...

There simply isn't enough room in the housing to make them fit, not by a mile, and I honestly doubt they will even fit behind the fairing/between the fairing horns...

You could possibly make two smaller units, like these Bi-xenon: Morimoto Mini H1 6.0 - HID Projectors from The Retrofit Source Inc fit behind the fairing, that part is easy... However, I'm doubtful you can get the two of them into the stock headlight housing, it will be a very, very tight sqeeze if you make it... But make a housing for them, and use an aftermarket fairing, and they will fit...