Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Project Deerslayer complete

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
Project Deerslayer complete

Finally finished up the bedliner paintjob for the tank and chin fairing, along with the flat-black work on the front fender. Doing the chin fairing as well this time tied everything together better than the first all-black repaint I did (following my first unscheduled get-off back in '04). I'm pleased with the results:

Here's a shot of what the bar-end mirror view looks like from the cockpit. Much less 'me' (read: shoulder) and much more scenery in the view now compared to stock.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:14 PM
996 new guy
Superstock

FireRescue is on a distinguished road
I really like!

I think the stenciled-in VTR1000F on tail looks badass
Old 09-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Superstock

maverick is on a distinguished road
dude that bike is sick. nice work man.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Super Byrd
Superstock

Byrdman is on a distinguished road
sweet looking bike!!! like the black exhaust.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:02 AM
Back Marker

NAVY8TR is on a distinguished road
headlight set up is sick! original, yet, not at all. seems like it was just meant to be there. theres nothing like savin bones by using stuff you already have and making it look good at the same time.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
powder coat frame n swing arm
Old 09-13-2009, 11:19 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
looks wicked, i wanna do my frame in black if i have the bike long enough and then see if i leave the rest yellow or do it all black. looks really good, i lvoe the flat black. im not sure about the headlight and front end though, it would have to grow on me. other than that i think it looks badass
Old 09-13-2009, 01:26 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NAVY8TR
headlight set up is sick! original, yet, not at all. seems like it was just meant to be there. theres nothing like savin bones by using stuff you already have and making it look good at the same time.
That's what it's all about for me too! Super street machine for cheap. A front end crash can be $2 - 3 grand even if you do most of the work yourself. What a great design! The front fairing had to take some time and more than a couple beers! Bravo!

CL in Austin, 98 w/11k, Hi-mount TBR Carbons, owner in difficult health situation, with PitBulls $2900 could be had for $2500 cash.

There's actually two on the local list right now. This one was exceptional. If it was any other time of the year I would pull the trigger on this one in a heartbeat!
Old 09-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by COLE
powder coat frame n swing arm
This did cross my mind, but would require me to send it off to someone else (can't do it in the garage/back yard). Plus I'd have to pull everything apart and I'd be bikeless for a good while. Since there's not really any 'offseason' here in SE Arizona, not sure I can justify the down time.

Originally Posted by nuhawk
That's what it's all about for me too! Super street machine for cheap. A front end crash can be $2 - 3 grand even if you do most of the work yourself. What a great design! The front fairing had to take some time and more than a couple beers! Bravo!
I've got both a set of screws and some zip-ties holding the top portion of the headlight to what's left of the fairing stay. I added the zip-ties after the first set of screws stripped when I set down a wheelie kinda hard and the headlight ended up pointing at the top of the front wheel... D'oh! With the paint included I've got less than $700 invested, and I'll get a chunk of that back when I sell the TL forks and brakes, SH front wheel, SH brakes, SH triples, and SH clipons that are all leftovers. Conservatively, based on the value of the extra parts, I think I'll be around $400 out-of-pocket for the rebuild. I could have put the stock fairings back on, but it would have taken a LOT of plastic welding... just wasn't worth the time this go-around.

Last edited by Galaxieman; 09-13-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
look familiar??

i went a different way after my crash, but nonetheless, we both had the same ideas...

Old 09-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Superstock

Nice! Flat black or bedliner? F4i front end is quite a bit better than stock huh?
Old 09-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
Bedliner...

it was painted gunmetal gray from a rattle can but it had ZERO endurancea against gasoline. so bedliner came in.

bedliner is great as u well know because it will stick to anything, look good, and u can get whatever look u want, from smooth to sandpaper textured.

F4i front end is pretty good, much nicer than stock VTR, especially the brakes. i need to change oil on mine to something thicker because even at full rebound and damping it comes up and down a lot under breaking and accelerating
Old 10-13-2009, 03:47 AM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
Headlight assembly

Originally Posted by Galaxieman
Finally finished up the bedliner paintjob for the tank and chin fairing, along with the flat-black work on the front fender. Doing the chin fairing as well this time tied everything together better than the first all-black repaint I did (following my first unscheduled get-off back in '04). I'm pleased with the results:

Here's a shot of what the bar-end mirror view looks like from the cockpit. Much less 'me' (read: shoulder) and much more scenery in the view now compared to stock.
Bike looks sweet man. Got a question. Was it tuff to get the headlight and fairing piece seperate from the rest? I have looked at that section on my hawk wondered if that would seperate and make for a cheap fighter front end. Thanks for any info.