Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

polished my swingarm

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:33 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
polished my swingarm

I started off by cleaning all grease/grime off this thing, then continued with a sanding wheel for all the deep pits and oxidation, then moved onto 180, 240, 320, 400, 550, 800, and then a red scotchbrite pad. once finished sanding I used some turtle wax all metal polish to give it a nice bling. cleaned up the front part a bit to a nice shine, not as polished as the rest of the swingarm though. total time was about 3.5 hours including dis/reassembly, well worth it compared to how oxidized it was before all this . Let me know what you think.

Name:  01082010114.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  63.7 KB
Name:  01082010116.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  58.6 KB
Name:  01082010119.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  70.8 KB
Name:  01082010117.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  80.4 KB
Old 01-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Speed Demon
Superstock

crackerjackman is on a distinguished road
Looks good. Are you planning on doing the frame as well??

Philip
Old 01-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Just Ride
Squid

JoedresVTR is on a distinguished road
Mine is pitted too. I've been debating whether to polish, powdercoat, or leave it alone. Swingarm looks good, but if you ever have it back off, throw an industrial buffing wheel in your table grinder. Then polish it with some aluminum polish, then clearcoat it. That's what I may do....but it's a shitload of work. But then, I may powdercoat it gloss black...but it wouldnt match my frame, so hence, therfore I will just leave it and pretend it isnt there.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:19 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

Originally Posted by crackerjackman
Looks good. Are you planning on doing the frame as well??

thanks, it's just a bit more polished than the frame is, plus i'm naked and it kinda clashes. so the answer is yes, I plan on it hah

Philip
Originally Posted by JoedresVTR
Mine is pitted too. I've been debating whether to polish, powdercoat, or leave it alone. Swingarm looks good, but if you ever have it back off, throw an industrial buffing wheel in your table grinder. Then polish it with some aluminum polish, then clearcoat it. That's what I may do....but it's a shitload of work. But then, I may powdercoat it gloss black...but it wouldnt match my frame, so hence, therfore I will just leave it and pretend it isnt there.
haha thanks for the tips, may try that. I was thinking black originally but then again the frame issue came about, this the polish. my friend who works at a body shop told me that if I cleared the polish it would just oxidize under the coat, like it did stock kinda, so I didn't do it. will it?
Old 01-14-2010, 06:46 AM
Squid Poacher
Back Marker

scatterbrained is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nothing
haha thanks for the tips, may try that. I was thinking black originally but then again the frame issue came about, this the polish. my friend who works at a body shop told me that if I cleared the polish it would just oxidize under the coat, like it did stock kinda, so I didn't do it. will it?
These wheels were painted, polished and cleared over six years ago. . . .
Attached Thumbnails polished my swingarm-img_2797-copy.jpg  
Old 01-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Back Marker

gixxerjohn is on a distinguished road
you still have a few levels to go if you want it to look right.....

800-1000-1500-2000 and then the 2-3 levels of polishing compounds, then wax's and such....

but this is if your doing it for a show piece.... i would suggest doing it that way, and spending the money and get it all clear coated when your done, or else the finish wont last and you wont be happy with it....
Old 01-14-2010, 07:54 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Way too much work for me to have something like that on my bike, It will just get covered in chain wax and other road ****.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:02 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
To each his own, but IMO chrome or highly polished bits do not belong on a sportbike....
Old 01-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Wrench Bender
Squid

mhaisten is on a distinguished road
I like the look of polished bits, but I'd rather go ride. My business partner has 2 bikes, 1, VFR that he rides, 2 a Repsol CBR1000 that he just rubs a lot. It is pretty, but it is like having a race horse that you never let out of the barn so his mane wont get tangled.

If anyone wants to polish mine, I won't complain, but it's just gonna get dirty again!
Old 01-14-2010, 09:09 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

thanks for the comments guys

Originally Posted by gixxerjohn
you still have a few levels to go if you want it to look right.....

800-1000-1500-2000 and then the 2-3 levels of polishing compounds, then wax's and such....

but this is if your doing it for a show piece.... i would suggest doing it that way, and spending the money and get it all clear coated when your done, or else the finish wont last and you wont be happy with it....
I didnt want a chromed out bike, just polished for a nice basic shine similar to the frame. the stock swingarm is polished a bit, as you probably know, this is just a few steps beyond that

Originally Posted by mikstr
To each his own, but IMO chrome or highly polished bits do not belong on a sportbike....
exactly, not too polished. i understand there is some upkeep with it, but as long as it's not bling chrome a simple metal polish here and there will be satisfactory. i'll have to look into the clear coat some more, i was told the aluminum would just oxidize under the coat again...like it did

Last edited by nothing; 01-14-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:16 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

Originally Posted by mhaisten
I like the look of polished bits, but I'd rather go ride. My business partner has 2 bikes, 1, VFR that he rides, 2 a Repsol CBR1000 that he just rubs a lot. It is pretty, but it is like having a race horse that you never let out of the barn so his mane wont get tangled.

If anyone wants to polish mine, I won't complain, but it's just gonna get dirty again!
see, I have two bikes and really only work on them during the winter where you can't ride here. if you look at all my previous threads they're all about riding because it's nice out, and here we are in the middle of winter and I'm getting my work done for the upcoming season...sturgis? americade? daytona?? hell ya
Old 02-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Superstock

hondavtr1000sp2 is on a distinguished road
I like it, makes it look newer, like dusting off the cob webs, but not too pimped out crazy bling !