Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Q for anyone with polished rims or polished lips

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 02:10 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
Q for anyone with polished rims or polished lips

tried searching but not a whole lot of threads for polished lips but the ones I found I couldnt find the info I was looking for...

anyways what I wanted to know is that did you clear coat the rims after polishing them or do you keep some sort of polish on them to keep them from oxidizing?

if you keep a polish on them what kind do you use? I have plenty of polishes and detailing supplies but I dont know how they are going to react to the paint thats on the rest of the rim?

thanks for the help
Old 04-08-2012, 03:12 PM
erno
Back Marker

erno is on a distinguished road
Mate I use a metal polish called (purple) it dosent affect paintwork on rims.
Autosoul is another type as well,could be wrong but most metal polishes should not affect paintwork.
Have seen polished rims coated with a clear powdercoat,pros easier to clean,cons it gives the rims a dull look ,thats why I went for the cream polish.
Or go the nickle plate type,seen these guys on your ebay site

Chrome Rims Front and Rear Wheel CBR 600f3 f 3 f2 2 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 | eBay

cheers
Old 04-08-2012, 04:05 PM
SuperBike

thats what I assumed... basically I have a 1000 grit brushed look on the rims and I didnt want to clear coat them because I like the look of the bare metal but obviously I have to protect it from oxidization otherwise it will look like sh!! in no time...

I have some mothers aluminum polish that Ill test on the paint first before Ill go all out on the whole rim.

by the way have you used any quick detailer sprays on the rim as well I wont have the time to polish my rim every couple days but I figure since the spray is clear liquid it wont leave a residue but will add a little bit of protection
Old 04-08-2012, 04:53 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Just a little input, I have polished complete set of wheels (even sanded out rough area towards the middle) after i have polished the wheels with -Ah some polish like MOTHER's.. Then I wash the wheels/ bike with Murphy's Soap Oil, The cleaner has or gives the wheels a wax like coating.. It -IMOP makes the wheels easier to keep clean/ and polished.. As like you, I like the bare metal look...
Old 04-08-2012, 05:01 PM
SuperBike

never heard of the stuff... would you still wax the bike itself after you use this stuff just not the wheels?
Old 04-08-2012, 10:07 PM
erno
Back Marker

erno is on a distinguished road
I mostly ride w/ends have had the polished lip for 2 yrs and have polished it around 1/2 doz times.
After each ride I wash the bike with a soft wash gel called (mequiars) and afterwards just chamio it
Old 04-09-2012, 07:00 AM
Superstock

kmm996
I used Wizard's metal polish and Wizard's metal sealer on my frame and swing arm. The metal polish is a cotton wad infused with the polish. I would apply it by hand and then use a cotton polishing arbor wheel on a drill. Then I would use the metal sealer. Which looks like a liquid wax... Applied and buffed off by hand. You can find it online. I ran out of the Wizards metal polish and now use Meguiar's NXT metal polish and follow it up with the Wizards sealer... I also use the sealer as a chrome polish on my wheels also... Unless you clear coat the bare aluminum, it will take a labor routine to keep it shiny.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:55 AM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
I did professional detailing for a few years. For aluminum stay away from any kind of wheel acid or cleaner spray as it will oxidize the wheel instantly.

Quick detailer can be used as a way to clean the wheels if you don't want to get out the soap and water, but it will provide little to no protection. The only thing we used the quick detailer for was bug removal, it works great for some reason. No matter what the bottle says, it is never a substitute for a wax or sealant.

Mothers, Eagle, Meguires etc all make metal polished that will work just fine. Use a powerball on the first time, then do them by hand every month or two and you should be fine. Mild contact with paint won't have any effects, but it would be best to tape off where the paint and bare metal meet to be sure. Another good product is called Never Dull by Eagle. It's a cotton material already saturated with polish like kmm was talking about, but it can only be used as a touch up or finishing step.

Ford shoots clear coat on all of their polished wheels and I've never seen any that went bad. Powdercoat can pit and chip pretty easy, look at the silver BMW wheels around town and you will see what I'm talking about.

Polished wheels aren't hard to keep up. Even if you neglect them and they get terrible you can wet sand then polish them back to their original state.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:29 AM
SuperBike

thanks for the info...

and aja thanks for the heads up because I actually work at a BMW dealership and they have some pretty heavy duty wheel cleaner acid.

basically I have a whole slew of sh!! for detailing paint but not a whole lot for metal...

the stuff I do have is never dull as well as meguires aluminum polish and turtle wax chrome polish.

Ill see if I can find some metal sealer as well and Ill post pics in a day or two with the wheels on and my new Pirelli Angels mounted
Old 04-09-2012, 01:55 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Then I'm sure you've seen the kind of powdercoat deterioration I'm talking about, I've never seen any other car wheels that get that bad that fast.

To get a best result, strip the paint, spray the bare metal with wheel acid and let sit for about a minute to eat away the top layer of metal, then rinse and polish with the meguires. Honestly, meguires makes pretty damn good products compared to the other companies. I wouldnt use the Chrome polish though. I don't have any experience with a sealer so I can't comment on that. Let us know your results when finishes, im planning to stop my lips also.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:04 AM
Squid

supertrooper is on a distinguished road
i have had my frame and wheels polished for a few years. i never put on any seaper or anything like that and it hasent oxidized yet. i just go over the wheels and frame with mother mag and aluminum polish once a year. imo clear coat or clear powder coating wont last long. those coating like a little texture to adhear to and with the smooth polished aluminum they will chip and peel after a couple years.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:50 AM
SuperBike

well its done... havent polished yet, just waiting a week or two for the paint to completely cure but I will post pictures up as soon as I can
Old 04-25-2012, 11:59 PM
Squid

okiehawker is on a distinguished road
Hey guys. A newby here. My wheels were already polished when I got the bike. Love the look when clean. Well worth the 5-10 extra minutes with a good cleaner wax and polishing ball on a drill. Haven't thought about doing the frame. Hmmm.....
Old 04-26-2012, 12:46 AM
Squid

acks is on a distinguished road
Polished rims are a pain in the a$$!

A tube of autosol costs me like 200 bucks here! Just to clean my rims....I live in a coastal city.....SUCKS

Im definitely pulling mine off, cleaning them hundreds, and putting a layer of clear over.....it literally takes a day or 2 before the pitting starts on them :S
Old 04-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Squid

Naked'98 is on a distinguished road
Mothers works great! just a quick hand polish to keep them up every now and again. Any residue left on the paint wipes right off with a cloth. I have also interingled layers of mothers and quick detailer with no problems.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
I found that the Mothers "Billet" polish work the best for me when I had poished wheels on my bike
Old 04-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
Put some car wax on after polishing. One that contains carnuba wax is best. It will help keep your polishing efforts looking good.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:49 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
They make some wheel wax just for that. My brother used to use it and he said it worked OK. I bought a can of this stuff to use on the side cases that I polished on my Suzuki but never finished polishing them and never got a chance to really use it. Sounds like it should work great, just no personal experience yet.