Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

New Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Back Marker

jbeber is on a distinguished road
New Wheels

I finally got the front wheel and now I can post some pics. Thank you ebay for both of them. A big 'plus' is that they each came wth a really good tire already mounted, so no extra cost for that. Just a few minor scratches on each, but no gouges-rash-dents-bends thankfully. They're just the standard 6 spoke mod (900RR rear / F3 front), but we all know they look way cooler than the stock 3 spokes. The front is gloss black and the rear is more matte dark gray, but no worries here. I think I'll put some rim stripes on (had them on the old wheels) to distract from the mismatch. I plan on getting the rear powdercoated to match--someday. Got some new rear signals too. I used to have clear lens signals but they were not very visible in daylight. New ones are smaller, but way brighter than the old ones. Only other recent change was a pair of black levers. How many more mods can one do for about $20 (like levers and signals)? Someone should start a 'cool:cost ratio' thread. I'd say the levers are about 10:1 and the rims maybe a 4:1 (assuming I can get a bit back for the old ones). Before anyone takes a shot at me--yes, those are zip ties securing the front fender. They've worked for about 6 years now without issues. Next to come: CCTs are on the list (should've been done about 5 years ago).
Attached Thumbnails New Wheels-bikepics-1460231-800.jpg   New Wheels-bikepics-1460233-800.jpg  
Old 10-24-2008, 05:46 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Looks great

Next mod for you: 98 900RR calipers (or SP1, or 929) with a radial MC.... and hang on!
Old 10-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
someday I'll be doing that too...someday...maybe...hmm

looks great man
Old 10-24-2008, 06:15 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I'm with you on the 900rr rear. I have one sitting on the shelf. I just had too many other things going on when I found it.

I couldn't afford to get it powdered and mounted when I needed tires last fall. I also wanted to do the 43 tooth sprocket change and replace the cush drive.

I'm running 15/41 now and it's "jerk it out of your hands" quick.

For me the front is not a big deal. The real show there is the rotors. I'm running ProLites which look a little better than stock but not much.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Reason is on a distinguished road
I'm not taking a shot, but you do know 4 6x12 pan screws is like $0.50, right?
Old 10-25-2008, 04:21 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Reason
No offense taken as it was a whole list of ****. I tried to get it off mostly to clean out the hub but the only socket I had was from a cheap Chinese kit and it melted in my hand when I tried to loosen the bolts.

New S-K sets have remedied that problem. $ don't ask but good ****.

I had spent several hundred on the bike already and I wanted to start riding again.

I also know how this works at the shops. Like I said, time was running out so there's always a log jam because everybody waits to the last minute.

I wanted to jerk the bearings and I had new ones on the shelf. Didn't have the tool to pull a blind bearing.

Blind bearing kit - $100 - really cool tool.

Also unexpected to me the wheel arrived with some mild rash that has since been worked out. It worked out really good too so I don't regret the loss of the time it has taken.

I think that cost $40.

The Powers that we spooned on back then are starting to get weary. All the other repairs/upgrades are being dealt with or have been retired. Or the parts are in the house. Soon I will put up a list.

Now the economy sucks but the wheel is ready to ship out before I mount my new rubber. I can prob scrape the coin this winter to PC the wheel and put new rubber on it next spring.

My Superhawk was not transient investment. I knew what I wanted when I bought the beast. Any time you have previous owners you're going to have to do some things there. I knew it would take time and it has. Even the newest, low mileage Superhawk is just a starting point.

It has also taken thousands but here's the rub.

I could go out and drop ten grand on a Ducati or a Triumph but I don't have ten grand. I can, however, buy a Superhawk for small coin and over time build it to be a Ducati killer.

Last edited by nuhawk; 10-25-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Reason is on a distinguished road
Fair enough. I've got 4 or 5 zip ties holding on my truck mirror.

The PO on my bike had never replaced the front fender, and I was getting sick of spray-in-the-face everytime I ran through a puddle, but the fender I got from ebay had no hardware. The official screws are $3.xx each at bikebandit, and I don't think that includes shipping, so I found some phillips head screws in the right size at a local hardware store for 12 cents each. I was stoked.

/hijack

Those wheels do look nice. What kind of stripes to you intend to add?
Old 10-25-2008, 04:57 PM
MotoGP

I'm not sure about the stripes although on some of the bikes I do like the wheel highlights. I have always thought the bike had too many colors/finishes on it.

Here's my plan. The 900rr rear will be powder coated to match the color and surface of the stock swingarm, the aftermarket coating of the headers and the after market exhaust cans = all silver - sort of.

The engine cases would not be gold although mine are not but they are fucked by the PO and I want to replace them. All black in the hammer department.

The front rim is not the show it's the calipers. I'm going to put a wet-look black behind my Pro-Lites and hope for the best. I am not going to use a F3 front due to the weight gain.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Back Marker

They aren't stock forks....so about $20 for the mounting straps that go around the forks since there are no mounting tabs like on the stock forks. Oh, and then the cost of a fender (another $30 or so?) that will actually work with the mounting straps. Or just spend the $1 on a bag of zip ties.

I have been watching ebay for a Triumph Daytona 955i front fender since it's a great fit. I think another member 'mikstr' has done the mod and it looks great.

p.s. I did keep the old mounting hardware, but it's useless with the 900RR forks.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Back Marker

Those wheels do look nice. What kind of stripes to you intend to add?

I was going to go for some red ones like I had before, but this time I might go for the reflective ones......Safety First!!
Old 10-26-2008, 05:57 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Yep, the 955 fender is MUCH nicer than any year 900RR unit. Also, you can get the mounting straps from a Triumph dealer for a decent price.