Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

New here, couple questions..

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 12:27 AM
Squid

SlimJimmy is on a distinguished road
New here, couple questions..

Well I just picked up a 98 VTR1000 Firestorm (Superhawk). Its got 20,000 kms on it (not sure what that is in miles), moriwaki exhaust, front and rear flush mount signals. The only thing I need to fix is one side fairing and the clear turn signal he had on that side in the front. Im thinking of going with these signals to replace the front ones..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamah...20567791QQrdZ1

Now, my question is (I searched but could not find the answer) the light is a 2 wire, and id like to use it for both running lights and signals. How can I go about doing this? Also, can anyone recommend some nice aftermarket mirrors that are shorter and less bulky than the stock ones? Functionality takes 2nd to looks on the mirrors for me.

Also, because these are flush mount, id like to put some signals in the front somewhere. Anyone ever put them in the front vents?
Old 08-24-2006, 04:45 AM
Back Marker

3D02 is on a distinguished road
20k kms=12,000 miles roughly

I have aftermarket signals and they also are running lights. I'm sure the ones you linked will too. Ask the seller to be sure.

As for the mirrors. I don't think there are any shorter mirrors on this planet. Most of us have become accustomed to looking at our shoulders
Old 08-24-2006, 07:41 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
You could kill 2 birds with one stone by getting some Lockhart Phillips signal mirrors. They are short as hell, so short I had to lift my arm to see behind me when I had them on. Then you could wire either the ones that are on the bike as the running lights and the mirrors as the blinkers or vice versa. I have some small trailer lights in the scoops for my running lights.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:11 AM
Squid

SlimJimmy is on a distinguished road
It seems those lights are only 2 wire. For the electrical gurus, could I just attached both the signal and running light wires to the flush mount but have a diode in both and an inline resistor in the running light wire? Heres a pic to better explain myself.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:25 AM
Squid

woozer996 is on a distinguished road
I've had Constructors Racing Group swiveling bar-end mirrors on my last three bikes and they work great. Excellent optics, you could almost get by with just the one on the left but of course that wouldn't look as cool. When you take the stock mirrors off, you just need to find some decent-looking fasteners to attach the fairing to the subframe underneath since you don't have the stock mirrors there to do that anymore. Sometimes a little trimming of the throttle and clutch grips is necessary, but not always.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Back Marker

blokeontheend
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...handlebars.htm

...for bar-end mirror choices
Old 08-25-2006, 05:22 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Try www.VFXkits.com. They sell a running light kit that will enable two-wire LED or regular signals to have running lights.

I just did some pre-production work for their Running Light FX Kit for the CBR600RR. This is one nifty kit. It has adjustable running light intensity, a self-adjusting flash rate program (to match the other signals' flash rate) and like 14 or 16 programmed flash sequences. Pretty cool stuff. On the 600RR I also installed their 2-wire universal flasher to fix the flash rate (definitely NOT plug & play on the 600RR). I also have their regular running light kit on the 1000RR for my front Shock Racing LEDs. I have their Flash Equalizer Pro on the Superhawk because I'm using LEDs in the rear and regular bulb-type flushmounts on the front. Everything I've used of theirs has worked really well. It was cool of them to let me do some beta testing on their new kit.