Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

couple of questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 06:24 PM
Back Marker

call me phil
couple of questions.....

hello.....i hope someone can shed some light on some things for me. i own a 98 and love the bike! v-twin power and sound are incredible. my questions are 1. my bike seems to pop through the air box some times when i crack the throttle, and 2.i get bad gas mileage, maybe 90 miles before fuel light comes on..ive run out a couple of times, the first time the bike took 4.3 gallons and the second and third it took 3.5. can anyone help me diag. problem, is it fuel filter or is it with the vaccum to the reserve tank.....there are many mods on this bike...equal length headers, m4 cans all that good stuff. love bike but would like to solve these mysteries...
Old 02-14-2005, 06:47 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: couple of questions.....

Hello,

Can I call you Phil? Great! Thanks.

Phil,

Do you have a jet kit? I recently had great succes with additional needle shimming of my dyno-jet kit'ed carbs which totally eliminated the poor low speed running and carb spitbacks with my very open pipes. There's a thread on this in the tech section. Got pics of these headers/cans? I haven't seen a setup like that.

Gas mileage: umm... well.... (trying to stall here).... Welcome to the SuperHawk's achilles heel. It's not alone tho', I've hit reserve on my Bandit 1200 at 94miles also. Tank's about the same size. I've never been in the 40's with either bike (both jetted/piped).
Old 02-14-2005, 02:49 PM
Back Marker

call me phil

attention superbling....i plan on getting some pics of the bike posted soon as i have not yet seen anyexhaust online that even comes close to the exhaust i have....i am just curious as to how much this setup cost the guy before me....the bike doesnt really have poor running at low speeds ofr low idle, it just pops every once and a while...and like i said, next sunny day and if i can convince my girlfriend to let me use the new camera i promise to post some pics of my bike...
Old 02-19-2005, 07:55 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong

Phil ,

Somewhere there's a post about someone putting a fuel pump on his bike to draw all the fuel out . I cannot find it but there are pics and it might be in one of the bike pic threads .

I've never heard of this problem your having to be honest but evident;y the other fella had near same deal going on .
Old 02-19-2005, 08:44 PM
Superstock

cdyer77
COme on Phil- quit stalling with the pics of the exhaust already. J/K
Winter in the northeast sucks.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Back Marker

call me phil

yeah winter sucks in northeast---we just got more snow---how nice....
Old 02-21-2005, 03:51 PM
Superstock

cdyer77
Yeah, just when we thought it was close to being over. We got another 5" last night.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:57 PM
Back Marker

call me phil

thank god i waxed the thing on thursday, the snow gods must love messing with me!
Old 02-22-2005, 03:08 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if you've done this already but when I did it, it worked wonders.

My bike popped and grumbled, wandering idle and probably some other symptoms I've since forgotten.

The fix? PAIR system removal as described on this site under the Knowledge base and Greg Nemish's V-Twin web site.

If you have the right plugs for the hoses that you pull off, its a very easy job.

IMO everyone should do this mod.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:01 PM
Back Marker

call me phil

the wandering idle was my next question....every once and a while when i come to a stop she almost feels like she wants to stall or is running very rich. it usually goes away if i crack the throttle real quick and she runs great. would the TPS cause this?
Old 02-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Back Marker

call me phil

the tps mod is next on list right after new fuel filter and screen, then maybe the PAIR system....thanx for the help guys!
Old 03-22-2005, 11:11 AM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

Phil,
I experienced the wandering idle issue that you mention, for a while after we re-jetted to accomodate D&D slip-on exhaust (with Factory Pro Stage 1 jet kit). After we got the pilot jets right, it turned-out that we could eliminate the wandering idle by tweaking the air/fuel-mixture adjustment.

Also, thanks to the folks at Customer Support at Factory Pro, I now understand that because of the big-ol'-honker carbureters on the VTR, jetting can sometimes be more ambient temperature-sensitive than it is with some of the other carbureted sport bikes. Since the D&Ds currently installed on SuperChicken III move a great deal of air (D&Ds have no baffles), Factory Pro suggested that I re-jet when the weather warms, to reach more of a happy medium for year-round riding (in the Southeastern US).

Lastly, let me add that 90 miles of "normal" riding before the low-fuel light comes on is roughly the same as I've gotten on all three of the SuperHawks I've owned (all '98s). However, when I travel the highway from Atlanta to Tampa, I can get as much as 115-120 miles before the light comes on, depending upon how much I use 6th gear. By inferenece, I now realize that 90-miles-to-the-low-fuel-light has a great deal to do with how much I enjoy the rabbit-quick acceleration of the VTR and how little I'm willing to change my riding-style to get better gas mileage--it's those big-ol'-honker carbureters again.

cheers,
--HotStreetVTR
Old 03-22-2005, 11:28 AM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

BTW, the TPS had been set to optimum (5K) and the idle still wandered before we tweaked the air/fuel mixture. I'm no engineer, but I'd guess that it was a matter of balancing jetting, TPS setting, and air/fuel mixture.

cheers,
--HotStreetVTR
Old 03-22-2005, 12:41 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Look for the rubber hoses coming out of the bottom of the bike to nowhere. One of these is the vent hose. Make sure it's not plugged with road goo.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:19 PM
Back Marker

call me phil

thanx jschmidt-i am planning on replacing fuel filter and screen soon...but every time its nice enough to do it i am usually on it. hopeully this thursday i will tear into this projsect.