Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

MotoTec undertail install

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Back Marker

HisHawkiness is on a distinguished road
MotoTec undertail install

I started working on installing my Mototec today and im running into a few problems, maybe someone with experience can give me advice. 1st off, the electronics at the back of the tail obviously have to be relocated, it says nothing about this in the install PDF on the distributionjester.com website, but in the pictures it looks like they have metal brackets on the side of their subframe for this....mine has no such brackets....did they weld those on there? Also, the turn signal LED's arnt fitting so well, any advice on the best way to tackel those? the lenses dont even fit around the supplied LEDs What ever happened to good instructions.....
Old 04-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The 01 and onwards VTR's have the electronics boxes on the side of the subframe as on the pictures... The older doesn't...
I just used a couple of zip ties to mount them up on the subframe...

My LED's where already installed and sealed up so no idea there...
Old 04-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Back Marker

HisHawkiness is on a distinguished road
I thought it might have something to do with the model year, but saw that the fender liner in the pictures had the mounts like mine for the computer so maybe it wasn't. I guess ill just use zip ties and unravel the wraping to extend the wiring a bit My signals didnt come mounted and they don't fit very well, i used a dremel to cut out the holes a bit and fit them in tlittle better but the lenses still fit like crap over the signals and im not sure which goes on which side since they are cuved slightly
Old 04-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Superstock

sumthin_major is on a distinguished road
MotoTec undertail install-undertailinside.jpg
MotoTec undertail install-pic-0304.jpg
MotoTec undertail install-pic-0306.jpg

I superglued the led's in place and then glued the covers in place. They snapped right in place for me, but I glued it anyway.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:28 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
I relocated the electronic modules to the outside left and ziptied them to the subframe. For the LED turnsignals and the lens's I RTV'd everything. On mine the turnsignal lens did not snap in. The lens just had two studs and they located into two holes in the undertail. The LEDs interfered with the lens fit. So I used tons of RTV both to seal everything and to hold it all in place.