Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Modified Undertail, plate, blinkers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Its A fire, Its A Storm!
Squid

Storm is on a distinguished road
Modified Undertail, plate, blinkers.

Hi all.... Put this up on the Ozfirestorm forum and thought id share with everyone..

Mostly stalk on here but have been doing a few things to the storm the last few weeks (Holidays) and decided to give my rear end another go.. First off i did the usual trim of that ugly thing that could fit 3 number plates and was happy with it.. I got around to it again and decided this time to cut once and think later....

I cut into the under tail and remade a few brackets to hold the blinkers in place.. I will be glassing the under tail underneath to seal it all up and of course relocated the key for the seat. As it is now its all just sitting there and nothing is bolted up.. Pics to come of the finished product in the next few days.

Any comment's welcome good bad constructive please! Cheers, Tony.

*edit* Bafflectomy also present for anyone interested...

This is my first attempt..

This is the work in progress... Everything is just sitting in place and not bolted up..

Hope it helps other and people like it. T.

Last edited by Storm; 01-02-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:41 AM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Where's your lock?
Old 01-03-2010, 08:50 AM
Squid

cosean is on a distinguished road
I like it. I look forward to seeing the finished product and where you put the lock.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Squid

pwolski is on a distinguished road
I have the same set up. I relocated the lock to the underside of the under tail (just in front of the plate since there is a nice and flat spot). The lock now faces down so to seal it I attached a rubber flap over the lock to keep the dirt out. I am also thinking about cutting out a portion of the non clear horizontal bottom of the tail light and sealing it back up with a clear plastic to provide light for the plate. I know that when you step on the brake the license plate "light" will intensify, but I think I can live with that.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
The thing about the non-US bikes is that they have a clear lens on the bottom of their taillight. DOT requires US bikes have to have a separate light. There are folks out there who have cut the bottom red part and replaced it with clear lexan to get the same effect. I doubt there are any pics though, since it's been a while since this was last brought up and we've had a server crash since then.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Its A fire, Its A Storm!
Squid

Originally Posted by pwolski
I have the same set up. I relocated the lock to the underside of the under tail (just in front of the plate since there is a nice and flat spot). The lock now faces down so to seal it I attached a rubber flap over the lock to keep the dirt out. I am also thinking about cutting out a portion of the non clear horizontal bottom of the tail light and sealing it back up with a clear plastic to provide light for the plate. I know that when you step on the brake the license plate "light" will intensify, but I think I can live with that.
Ive seen the same thing on here somewhere before so i will be doing the same... Works good and is still functional. Cheers, Tony.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:14 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Looks nice and clean Storm. How 'bout a few pics & some info on that car? Gotta love the Australian musclecars
Old 01-04-2010, 12:49 AM
Its A fire, Its A Storm!
Squid

Originally Posted by captainchaos
Looks nice and clean Storm. How 'bout a few pics & some info on that car? Gotta love the Australian musclecars
Thanks mate!! That's the plan, to do as much as i can while i get some cash together and go for braided lines, high mount pipes and a jet and so on... Just improve on it as i can... As for the car.... Where would be a good place to post pics up and put a bit of details down?
Old 01-04-2010, 07:18 AM
Squid

Tony,

I am on my second hawk. The first one got SS brake lines for around $100 US (Galfer, I was not very happy with the fit of the kit, they should have called it universal kit, also one of the fittings had metal burrs which I had to remove prior to install, this was about 4 years ago. Next time I will try Spiegler, little more money, but I think the quality will be better, and I like the idea of being able to eliminate the twist during install). The lines only improved the soft feel of stock set up, the brakes were still weak. On my second hawk I did the entire F4i swap for around $30 US. I am very happy with the front brakes now. There is little grinding that is required, no big deal. In my opinion, the F4i swap is the most bang for your money when it comes to the front brakes.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:40 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I don't think anyone would mind too much if you posted up a few car pics here since I asked. Otherwise you could post them in the "everything else" section.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Its A fire, Its A Storm!
Squid

Originally Posted by pwolski
Tony,

I am on my second hawk. The first one got SS brake lines for around $100 US (Galfer, I was not very happy with the fit of the kit, they should have called it universal kit, also one of the fittings had metal burrs which I had to remove prior to install, this was about 4 years ago. Next time I will try Spiegler, little more money, but I think the quality will be better, and I like the idea of being able to eliminate the twist during install). The lines only improved the soft feel of stock set up, the brakes were still weak. On my second hawk I did the entire F4i swap for around $30 US. I am very happy with the front brakes now. There is little grinding that is required, no big deal. In my opinion, the F4i swap is the most bang for your money when it comes to the front brakes.
Thanks for the info there mate. There's a company here called "Hel" that most people go with and seem to get good feedback about there products so i think i will give them a go and see.. Cheers mate.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Its A fire, Its A Storm!
Squid

Ok here we go!!

Its a Ford Falcon XA 1973 model.. 393c.i Stroker Cleveland, Holley 1050cfm, C.H.I Manifold, C.H.I Alloy heads, Scat stroker kit.. Engine mate 670 on vp 109ron race fuel and 650 on pump gas.

C4 3speed Auto. Manualised shifting 5200 Converter.

Ford 9 inch diff. Custom length axles with all "Strange" gear

And you think your super hawk seat is stiff?? Hope everybody likes it.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
me likey much!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Squid

Very nice!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:38 PM
1998 superhawk mods.
Squid

ebbhead is on a distinguished road
Yo, happy new year all. Newbie here, lookin to mod my 98 hawk. I saw someone with vtr1000 sticker on the fairing, anyone know if they sell em like that or he possibly customed it? Also, is sharksins the only place that sells bottom fairings, id like to pick a set up.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
...and I like the idea of being able to eliminate the twist during install
I don't know if it was the case back when you got yours, but the ends on the Galfer lines I just recently installed were adjustable. It takes a little force to turn them, but they do turn.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:24 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by AngryOlaf
I don't know if it was the case back when you got yours, but the ends on the Galfer lines I just recently installed were adjustable. It takes a little force to turn them, but they do turn.

My fittings were not adjustable (I was under the impression that only Spiegler lines have that). The rear fitting blocked caliper bolt, the front fittings required removal of a tab off the mc and there were burrs on the inside of one of the fittings. Finally when I called just to share my install issues (I am an engineer by education) trying to help them improve the product I got very cold reception. Like I said, this was some years back. It seems to me that at times it is hard to find quality in the aftermarket products we buy for our bikes. I am just sharing the facts about my install. Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Watch Galfer hardware too. They had a quality problem a few years back and the below picture was the result. Luckily I discovered it pulling out of the shed one day, and not out riding around. This banjo bolt was properly (not over-) torqued.
Attached Thumbnails Modified Undertail, plate, blinkers.-banjobolt.jpg  
Old 01-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Its A fire, Its A Storm!
Squid

Thats lucky hawkrider!