Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

High tempreture coating

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 07:26 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
High tempreture coating

Looking for some feedback on companies that do high temp coating. Jet Hot, Nitro Plate, Airborn Coatings, etc. I'm thinking of having a set of headers done. Wondering if anyone has direct experience.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:39 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Jet Hot is a known standard. price is so so, but service and turnaround and consistent quality great. I've had dozens of parts done by them. Its who Im sticking with from now on until I get a better known quantity.

I had a local company do the headers on my bike few months ago.. nothing but problems, saved a few $ and tried to support a local business..... but it was not worth it.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:44 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Nitro plate is amazing. I had them coat my pipes, see my build thread.

I read a lot of so-so things about jet hot. So, i called nitro plate, talked to the company owner, and sent my pipes over. Shipping cost about the same as the coating. I think coating cost for both headers was around $75.

James
Old 08-14-2015, 06:06 PM
Back Marker

NH-Raptor is on a distinguished road
I had my headers ceramic coated satin black a couple of years back here in southern NH. There was rust that formed at the engine end. Also, some rust at welds etc. which I thought looked like crap. They still look great after the coating and I'm glad I did them. Link attached
www.srpowdercoating.com
Old 08-15-2015, 10:54 AM
SuperBike

Thanks for the replies.
This coming week I'm going to call and get an estimate on price and feel for the attitude/customer service.
I'm thinking that even though Jet Hot is going to be the most expensive, my shipping costs to them will be low as they are in state. Their reputation and guarantee is well known. I contacted them a while back to get some samples sent to me and the guy I spoke with was friendly and sent the samples right away on their dime.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:20 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road

How much surface prep will you have to do before sending off to any of these coatings places? Sorry for the thread jack but thinking about this too.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:15 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Zero prep for NitroPlate. I shipped mine super gicky. They sandblast it, then coat it inside and out.

I really like the silver i had them do, but i don't like where the silver meets the Erion chrome mid pipes.

I'm actually considering either sending the headers back to have them coated in black, or removing the chrome on the Erion midpipes and sending the Erion midpipes to NitroPlate for silver coating.

Gonna wait and get some more things powder coated black first, then make a decision.

James
Attached Thumbnails High tempreture coating-image.jpg  

Last edited by thedeatons; 08-16-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:41 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by CrankenFine

How much surface prep will you have to do before sending off to any of these coatings places? Sorry for the thread jack but thinking about this too.
No thread jack taken. I would like to get as much info as I can on the subject of ceramic coatings. My understanding of the coating process, someone chime in if not correct, is that the shop will surface prep the part to accept the coating. If the part has surface imperfections, deep scratches, dents. weld spatter, etc. those imperfections will show through the coating. Don't know how deep a scratch the coating will cover and not show. A question I want to ask whomever I I end up choosing. I have sanded most of the header already and have it quite smooth as I was going to bring them to a polished condition. Don't know if this is overkill, but want to err on the side of too much than not enough and be unhappy with the results.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:57 AM
SuperBike

[QUOTE=thedeatons;
I really like the silver i had them do, but i don't like where the silver meets the Erion chrome mid pipes.
James[/QUOTE]

IMO the silver looks good on it's own, but I don't think it works with the black out you have going on. Engine case, mid pipe and header are a bit dis-harmonious. I say this ever so cautiously as to not offend. Can I ask what you had to pay Nitro Plate?
Old 08-16-2015, 12:53 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

No offense taken. I'm still trying to get the look just right too.

Clutch cover and oil pan will be powdercoated black this winter. Engine case will stay silver. Basically everything attached to the engine (externally) will be black including suspension parts.

I think it was $130 shipped? Maybe $145... Definitely under $150 though.

James
Old 08-16-2015, 06:37 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by thedeatons
No offense taken. I'm still trying to get the look just right too.

Clutch cover and oil pan will be powdercoated black this winter. Engine case will stay silver. Basically everything attached to the engine (externally) will be black including suspension parts.

I think it was $130 shipped? Maybe $145... Definitely under $150 though.

James
Once you get all the parts of the engine done in black how to do the exhaust will be clear. Get the mid pipes done same as headers.
Already a visually striking SH. The finished project should be a VTROTM.

I pleasantly surprised at the pricing. I thought it would be more like $300-350.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:21 AM
SuperBike

Called Jet Hot, Nitro Plate and Air Born. Nitro Plate no longer does headers! Jet Hot no longer has a facility in Tempe, AZ. so lower shipping cost are not to be. Looks like the difference between Air Born and Jet Hot is going to be about the price of the shipping. Jet Hot being the higher. It's now decision time. Pay more for rep and guarantee or roll the dice and try the other guy.
Going to box them and get a shipping price then decide.