Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Powder Coating rims

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:16 AM
Back Marker

smack doogle is on a distinguished road
Powder Coating rims

Okay, I'm planning on purchasing some 6-spoke rims for the SuperHawk. CBR900 rear and VFR or F3 front. I plan to have them powdercoated white before they are installed. First question, anyone know a good powder coater in new england (decent price a plus). Also, before they get powdercoated I have to take the bearings out. Should I buy new bearings for 900rr rim and F3 rim from bikebandit or someplace? I am new to this so be gentle. Any suggestions would be helpful
Old 09-04-2008, 05:07 AM
Back Marker

seaton001 is on a distinguished road
I took my rims to a place in Windsor CT. A little bit of a drive from you, but they did a real good job. Cleaned them all up, taped all of the area where the bearings, rotors, and bolts would go. They did it all for $50 a wheel. You could also check out Airborne Coatings they do powdercoating as well and they are pretty well known. As for the bearings; I replaced all of the bearings from AllBalls Racing.

http://www.goallballs.com/home.asp

Just chuck the bearings in the freezer for a day or so and leave your wheels in the sun. The new bearings go in without a fuss.

Let me know if you want the name of the place I did mine and I can look it up for you. He had my wheels back to me in a day.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:00 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by seaton001
I took my rims to a place in Windsor CT. A little bit of a drive from you, but they did a real good job. Cleaned them all up, taped all of the area where the bearings, rotors, and bolts would go. They did it all for $50 a wheel. You could also check out Airborne Coatings they do powdercoating as well and they are pretty well known. As for the bearings; I replaced all of the bearings from AllBalls Racing.

http://www.goallballs.com/home.asp

Just chuck the bearings in the freezer for a day or so and leave your wheels in the sun. The new bearings go in without a fuss.

Let me know if you want the name of the place I did mine and I can look it up for you. He had my wheels back to me in a day.
Good info. Thanks. Do you have pics of the new wheels on? I'm trying to visualize the white rims to make sure that's the route I want to go. Black is to "normal" and red (red bike) would be way to much.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:14 AM
Back Marker

well... I did mine in a satin black.

http://webpages.charter.net/seaton001/images/Wheels.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/seaton00...nt%20Wheel.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/seaton00...ar%20Wheel.jpg
Old 09-04-2008, 06:29 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Not a Superhawk but this auction has pics of an RC51 (repainted) and VFR (stock) in the red/white combo:

http://tinyurl.com/65ww5e
Old 09-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
are the 6 spoke rims from the 900 & F3 any lighter than the stockers?
Old 09-04-2008, 07:25 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sassage
are the 6 spoke rims from the 900 & F3 any lighter than the stockers?
Superbling came with chromed 3 spoke stockers which I replaced with an VFR/CBR900 combo (see avatar). I weighed them during the change and the stockers were slightly heavier but remember that's with all that chrome plating (sorry I've since forgotten the actual figures).

So I think it's safe to assume that without the chrome, the stock 3 spokes would be lighter. Even tho' in my case I lost some weight, it was a pure bling mod for me as I find the 3 spoke look very, very boring.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:35 AM
Back Marker

Looks nice. This will be my over winter projet along with changing fluids and maybe VFR bars. We'll see how generous the wife is.

[quatoe]Not a Superhawk but this auction has pics of an RC51 (repainted) and VFR (stock) in the red/white combo:

http://tinyurl.com/65ww5e[/quote]

Good fine! I think those pics confirm my decision to go with the white. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:38 AM
Back Marker

The bearings are for the CBR (front and rear) correct? Bearing and seal kit on all ***** website right? Pretty cheap I guess, $50 for front and rear.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:52 AM
Back Marker

just to note, the front wheel in my pic is from an RC51 not a VFR. I had done the RC51 front end swap and was using the RC51 front wheel. The rear wheel would use the CBR bearings that were meant for it. I am not sure about the VFR wheel tho.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:56 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by smack doogle
The bearings are for the CBR (front and rear) correct? Bearing and seal kit on all ***** website right? Pretty cheap I guess, $50 for front and rear.
cheap insurance...resusing bearings is asking for wobble problems
Old 09-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by superbling
Superbling came with chromed 3 spoke stockers which I replaced with an VFR/CBR900 combo (see avatar). I weighed them during the change and the stockers were slightly heavier but remember that's with all that chrome plating (sorry I've since forgotten the actual figures).

So I think it's safe to assume that without the chrome, the stock 3 spokes would be lighter. Even tho' in my case I lost some weight, it was a pure bling mod for me as I find the 3 spoke look very, very boring.
kind of disappointing. I figured as thick as those 3 spokes were, you'd be losing some weight. oh well, still looks much better. thanks for the response

I'll quit hijacking threads now
Old 09-04-2008, 12:13 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Powder coated my stocker rims gold. The casual observer guesses Italian custom. The weight difference between stock and custom doesn't make any difference on the street. For the price of Marchenessi, a lot of motor work could get done and show real performance gains.

But Hey! A bike isn't really yours until it's fettered.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Squid

blackvtr is on a distinguished road
i had my exhaust ceramic coated at D & T Powdercoating, in Pembroke. again a hike for you. they did a good job with the exhaust and only charged me $175 for both cans and two pipes. give them a call and they wil give you a quote over the phone... 781-294-9222. the turnaround time isn't so good... 2 weeks but if it's in the off season who cares?
Old 09-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Squid

blackvtr is on a distinguished road
p.s. take out the bearings, then get the powdercoating, then install new bearings!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Back Marker

VTRumble is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the wheels from my old Hurricane done at DB finishing in Plympton for the low low price of $60, yes for both- I was surprised too. I don't know if they're still around, this was about 8 years ago. Of course when I picked them up the first thing I did was smack them together putting them in the truck. Didn't even leave a scratch, very durable.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:41 AM
Back Marker

Get this!!!!! Central Mass. Powder Coating emailed me today and said they charge.......wait for it..........$300-$400 a set. He said they have already done 15 sets this year. I don't think they need my money. Wow, I was not expecting that. Guess I'll continue shopping around.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:55 AM
Back Marker

some of the places around here were like that too. I was like "are you serious??" Some say they put a special coating on that makes the powder adhere better, bla bla bla.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smack doogle
Get this!!!!! Central Mass. Powder Coating emailed me today and said they charge.......wait for it..........$300-$400 a set. He said they have already done 15 sets this year. I don't think they need my money. Wow, I was not expecting that. Guess I'll continue shopping around.

Seriously do it yourself... just need a big electric oven with the thermostat removed
ground the work spray the power coat uniformly cook .... 2 hours later you got muffins

most all paint suplly shops have the powder and you can buy a cheap 30 buck air painter to apply
Old 10-13-2008, 05:20 AM
Back Marker

Does anyone know if these are the correct all ***** bearing kits I need?

P/N 25-1257 (CBR900RR rear)
P/N 25-1077 (CBR600 FR front)

I think they are but thought I'd ask the folks who did thier 6-spoke conversion already.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:44 AM
Superstock

Jim TT
Yes buy new bearings; I powder coated the wheels on my VF500 15 years ago, this pic is about two months old and as you can see the wheels still look great.