General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Hayabusa weight

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 07:07 AM
Back Marker

thegreep
Hayabusa weight

I sat on a Hayabusa the other day at one of the local dealerships and was surprised at how heavy it was. Just picking the thing up off the stand made me realize just how light the Superhawk feels. Has anyone ridden one? I'm interested in how they feel once in motion. It gives me the distinct impression that although fast it probably has some trouble in the corners.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:33 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: Hayabusa weight

Funny, I just did the exact same thing last Friday. Took junior in so he could "dream" about a "fifty"! Ahh, remember those days?

Anway, weight is a good thing when you're doing 186mph (300kmh)! Some guys do rig them out for sport-touring use (heli-bars, soft bags) as it can eat up the miles quickly but it's gas mileage and range are on par with the SuperHawk!
Old 06-28-2005, 09:30 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes they are HEEAAVY, they lighten up a little at speed but still much heavier and slower in the corners going from the one that I rode. I only had a short ride but it seemed more like a straight line bike to me.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:56 PM
Back Marker

vitter is an unknown quantity at this point

I have ridden two. One was a 2000 model in 2000. That thing scared the poop out of me with the acceleration.
2001+ models have a timing retard in the first 3 gears(as well as 6th), and the second one I rode was dissapointing. It did not even feel fast in a straight line.
As for cornering, the weight seemingly dissapears underneath you when underway. It will never keep up to a supersport bike in the turns, but it is more than a match for the VTR, and the 100lbs/ft of torque will shoot you to the next corner real quick(if you get a TRE).
Old 07-02-2005, 02:15 AM
Squid

DameDiggler

I have actually thought about a hayabusa before but , more than a match for the vtr???? Can you elaborate? I can hustle the vtr pretty quickly and cannot imagine the busa keeping up through some twisty stuff.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:30 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by DameDiggler";p=&quot
I have actually thought about a hayabusa before but , more than a match for the vtr???? Can you elaborate? I can hustle the vtr pretty quickly and cannot imagine the busa keeping up through some twisty stuff.
they both have similar wheelbases and geometrys, the only major differences are weight and the motor. I find they are both relaxed sportbikes(nothing like a SS).

the only way to really find out is to ride them both. But be warned, as much as the VTR has an awsome motor, the busas might just suck you in.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:07 PM
MotoGP

Don't know about more than a match in the corners, in a straight line yes but in the corners? All I can say is I'd love to have the chance to find out!! Anybody got one or know someone who does that wants to meet at the track or the dragon!! Lets match 'em up!!!!!

I mean no disrespect vitter but the one I rode didn't feel like it could but you never know until you try.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:53 AM
Back Marker

thegreep
Originally Posted by channidai";p=&quot
Just to throw it in here

2003 'Busa MEASURED WET WEIGHT 478 lbs

2001 VTR1000 MEASURED WET WEIGHT 430 lbs

found it at MCUSA
That's interesting, is sure felt like alot more weight differential than that, I guess the Hawk has spoiled me in that respect.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:53 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point

i sat on one today... did feel a bit heavier... but all in all.. i think the busa is for people with short man syndrome.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:17 PM
MotoGP

Hey now you got a f'n problem with short guys!! Just kidding besides at 5'7" I'm not short, I'm vertically challenged.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:22 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point

na.... height has nothing to do with it.... well maybe it does sometimes.. i just see alot of 5' 1" stepping out of lifted full size extra-cab trucks..

by the way... did you get my pm?
Old 07-08-2005, 12:59 AM
Back Marker

bluesman
same?

Originally Posted by vitter";p=&quot
Originally Posted by DameDiggler";p=&quot
they both have similar wheelbases and geometrys, the only major differences are weight and the motor. I find they are both relaxed sportbikes(nothing like a SS).

the only way to really find out is to ride them both. But be warned, as much as the VTR has an awsome motor, the busas might just suck you in.
Well, my colleague here (BTW, he is about 198 cm tall - so your rule not working) got a full-power 200+ bhp Hayabusa and all our discussions with him ended up in test ride I had on his Busa.

I must say, as much as it is great bike, it got neither weight neither wheelbase comparable with VTR, but most importantly - gravity center is a key to slow handling of Busa.
Let me explain: Busa is a bike with officially confirmed lowest gravity center amongsn all sportbikes ever made. Obviously it means slow steering. It feels and goes like it can eat any bike for breakfast on straights, and it''s OK for looong sweeps and big junctions but on proper twisties it's useless.
And - 31 kg of weight difference already there, now my SH lost 8 kg of fat after replacement of exhaust with aftermarkt, replacement of suspension components. Dry weight I got now is 185 and a bit kg.
That's light. Not like CBR or R1, but light enough.

Here is some details for you:

Busa VTR
Overall length : 2180 mm 2050
Wheel base : 1485 mm 1430mm
Ground clearance : 120mm 135mm
Seat height : 805mm 810mm
Measured wet weight : 245kg 214kg
Rake 24.2 ° 24.9°
Trail : 97 mm 97mm
Turning circle 3.3 m 2.9m
Old 07-08-2005, 04:55 PM
Back Marker

bluesman

sorry - I do not trust manufacturer data so had to dig out some information I can rely on - but I live in Europe, so I used to metric...
I hope that'll help:
http://www.onlineconversion.com/
Old 07-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Back Marker

Just to throw it in here

found it at MCUSA
those are manufacturer claimed dry weights.
from www.motorcyclistonline.com.

superhawk 480lbs wet
busa 550lbs wet.

as far as losing weight with an exhaust on a VTR, you can lose alot more on a busa going to a full 4-2-1 system.
And as far as a lower center of gravity hurting twisties riding, read a physics book. The lower a center of gravity, the lower the MOI(Moment of Inertia) will be, making the bike easier to turn.(Just ask Honda's MotoGP engineers and CBR designers)
Old 07-10-2005, 10:51 PM
MotoGP

Hey vitter do you own a Hyabusa or something you seem to be taking the criticisim very hard?

Are you a closet Suzuki guy? Not that there's anything wrong with that. No, no, I know lots of closet suzuki guys, my father's a suzuki lover!
Old 07-11-2005, 02:57 AM
Back Marker

bluesman
Originally Posted by vitter";p=&quot
Just to throw it in here

found it at MCUSA
those are manufacturer claimed dry weights.
from www.motorcyclistonline.com.

superhawk 480lbs wet
busa 550lbs wet.

as far as losing weight with an exhaust on a VTR, you can lose alot more on a busa going to a full 4-2-1 system.
And as far as a lower center of gravity hurting twisties riding, read a physics book. The lower a center of gravity, the lower the MOI(Moment of Inertia) will be, making the bike easier to turn.(Just ask Honda's MotoGP engineers and CBR designers)

I agree - I messed up shame, shame - one of disciplines I am graduated on physics. But I have my excuse - I meant something else, just used wrong terms - English is my third language

Don't get me wrong - I like Busa, even wanted it for some time, but got negative impression from 2 rides I took - both cases bike was unbeleivably fast but in twisties felt very much as FZR1000Exup of 1995 that my friend owns.
What I meant about gravity center is almost same you meant.
Agree, you correct to say that gravity center lowering makes it easier to flick, but mass location makes it more difficult. Here is take 2:
In press: Honda keep going on about Mass Centralization, as they want to catch on something that Ducati have more - stability in corners. GC lowering is default need and they do it anyway.
In press: Ducati keep going on about lowering GC, as it heavilly affects dynamics of bike by reducing shift in braking and acceleration and Ducati think's it their biggest problem because they can't catch inline-4s on dynamics.
So - each manufacturer have his take as have to fight different problems.
Busa incorporates low static GC, decreasing MOI. Mass center also low but mass distributed along wheel base more that concentrated in center (like on CBR) increasing MOI.
Storm definitely have most of mass centralized. Could that be reason?
Or fact that 30 kg of bike is a LOT of weight - when BMW shaved 30 kg (stating 30 kg as "must" target for engineers) off 1200 GS it made it handle totally different. Or fact that 55 mm of wheelbase is a lot....
Don't know, but really interested to know, because I actually do like Busa (yep, I even like the looks), but I hate this kind of handling.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:15 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong

Originally Posted by thegreep";p=&quot
Has anyone ridden one? I'm interested in how they feel once in motion. It gives me the distinct impression that although fast it probably has some trouble in the corners.
I own one and once rolling they feel pretty light . Nothing like say a Bandit 1200 for example . The 1300R is much more of a sportbike than one of those IMO and have much bottom end grunt . They pull out of the low speed turns in higher gears quite nice and have great fuel range .

Twisties ? They can do very well in the right hands especially two up in all but the tightest sections . They can be a handfull because of the power but the Busa's power don't really come on until 4th or 5th gear when the ECU pulls the timing out . They feel like a different engine after that so not many turns can be negotiated at those speeds . Kinda like you hit it with a small nitrous charge . You just have to ride one to better explain .

These bikes should not be compared to a Superhawk . Two distinctly different tools for sure .
Old 07-11-2005, 09:37 AM
Back Marker

bluesman

Agree - there is no way to compare Busa to Bandits or Fazers...and to Storm.

I tried and was left with impression of something between Blackbird and K3 GSXR, but way faster

Can you share your experience on long runs - is it good for sport touring?

Oh...No....I can't have Busa...I am short guy!

Old 07-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot
Are you a closet Suzuki guy? Not that there's anything wrong with that. No, no, I know lots of closet suzuki guys, my father's a suzuki lover!
LOL, those guages in my avatar are from my 86 GSXR1100(RIP).

To me, both busas I rode felt alot like my old GSXR. Stable, slow steering, and powerful(very similar to my VTR).

like I said earlier, go out and try one. Sure it is heavier(70lbs), but as Rollingalong said the weight seems to dissapear. It is no new GSXR, ZX, or CBR, but with a good rider, it is a fun ride.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:21 PM
MotoGP

Sorry too much Sienfeld! I don't doubt that it's a fun bike and if I could afford twenty bikes that would be one of them no matter how uncomfortable for a 5'7' man sorry don't know metric conversion, probably 2 meters?

But for an everyday and sometimes trackday bike I prefer the hawk. Oh and I thought those gagues looked familar my riding buddy had one.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:22 PM
MotoGP

Sorry 5'7"