Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Found a paint that matches your bike's color? post it here

Old 08-12-2004, 04:35 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
Found a paint that matches your bike's color? post it here

If you have been successful finding a readily available paint that closely matches your superhawk's color, to paint your aftermarket fairings or mirrors or ...., please post the info about the paint here.

I am thinking of may be painting the small chin on the bottom to a matching red color, and this info would help a lot.

Also, please post if you have a different color than red too. It can be used by others.

cheers,
faz
Old 08-12-2004, 06:34 PM
Back Marker

Random
Re: Found a paint that matches your bike's color? post it he

I've found a place online that will "mix/match" any paint code you give them. Automotive, motorcycle, lawnmower, bicycle...you name it.

http://www.color-rite.com/

It's $30 a pint can of "aerosol" paint, plus an additional $10-$20 for another can of the appropriate aerosol "clear" coat. Yeah, they will put it in a spray can for ya, but at $30 a can...it ain't cheap.

They also sell it in smaller bottles for "touch up", and also sell it in larger quanities (.5, 1, or 5 gallon containers).
Old 08-13-2004, 11:00 AM
faz
Superstock

faz
Thanks for the link!

you are right, they are not cheap.

I was more thinking off the shelf, readily available type of spray paints that match the color... you know, something like "the 199x red Chevy pick up paint at autozone matches the red superhawk color the best" or something like that.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:04 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Found a paint that matches your bike's color? post it he

I have looked online and in the stores for auto touch up paint and none seems to look like it could match.

One route that hasn't been exploited yet....

I am thinking on having the fiancee' go through the nail polish isle and see if she can find a match for the red.

I will let you know if we come up with anything

8)
Old 10-14-2004, 10:38 AM
Squid

Alic
Check out EBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

I contacted this UK seller www.Bike-Paint.co.uk that runs this auction - there's plenty of touch-up paint for different colors (factory match) for 7.95 GBP. They also have 100ml tins and 400ml aerosoles (but the latter isn't legal to ship via international mail). Shipping to USA is £2.95 for up to 2 touch ups, she accepts PayPal. However, with current exchange rates prices are same as with color-rite.com
Old 06-15-2007, 11:55 AM
SuperBike

ali_squidz is on a distinguished road
I did the nail polish thing on my red hawk. doesnt work too well. its too transparent to cover anything.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:22 AM
Squid

SuperLoud
I just checked with the local O'Reilly auto parts "paint" store. They don't have the codes to match motorcycle paint colors but can scan your part and try to match. They only charge $8 for touch up bottle and $16 for a spray can. Also have pints and quarts available.
This is for a 1 part enamel paint. I think they also have a base and clear system.
Some of the guys on the local bike board have used the spray cans and say they work and look good.
Don't know if O'Reilly's has the "paint" stores in all towns but you may be able to find something close or someone else that provides this service.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Squid

rigoshawk is on a distinguished road
I've heard that there is very close color match from hobbie store paints.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Moderatio est Figmentum
Superstock

Hawk9807 is on a distinguished road
Some of the Walmart stores now have House of Kolor aerosol cans of base, flake, pearl, candies, and clear coat in the model sections. They also have a good selection of HoK in the bottles for touch up and air brush.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:56 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah... I hope someone finally finds a match.... I tried 3 different Duplicolor paints in the small aerosol can from Autozone.... none matched.... should have just went to color-rite or something of the sort...

For what it is worth, I did find that E88009750 Rallye Red Duplicolor "Import" is reasonably close... it is NOT A MATCH by any means, but if your doing a small part that isn't next to another Honda factory "Italian Red".... this may work for you (like a fender or hugger).... I painted the undertail I made with this color... because it's underneath, I can kind of get away with it... but I wouldn't paint a tank with this stuff and expect it to be even close....

I did wet sand the paint after I sprayed a few coats, and buffed it out with some Novis scratch remover... it will drastically improve the quailty/appearence.

BTW Duplicolor colors that AREN'T A MATCH, so save your money...DSFM306 Cardinal Red and EDSGM5100 Torch Red.

J.
Attached Thumbnails Found a paint that matches your bike's color? post it here-undertail1.jpg   Found a paint that matches your bike's color? post it here-undertail-2.jpg  
Old 09-02-2007, 07:15 AM
Back Marker

Chitownson is on a distinguished road
Try taking your factory body part to an auto body paint supply shop. When I painted my last salvage bike, they custom matched the paint and put in the flex compound auto body makers use on plastic bumpers so the paint doesn't chip and flake off when your body parts flex. They did a minimum mix of a quart. They also had a machine to put the custom mix paint into aerosol cans. I got the custom paint, put in aerosol cans, with cans of factory grade clear coat (tough as hell) for about $60.00.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Back Marker

3D02 is on a distinguished road
http://www.ehobbies.com/tes2919.html
Old 09-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Superstock

pigwings
paint

Originally Posted by Random
I've found a place online that will "mix/match" any paint code you give them. Automotive, motorcycle, lawnmower, bicycle...you name it.

http://www.color-rite.com/

It's $30 a pint can of "aerosol" paint, plus an additional $10-$20 for another can of the appropriate aerosol "clear" coat. Yeah, they will put it in a spray can for ya, but at $30 a can...it ain't cheap.

They also sell it in smaller bottles for "touch up", and also sell it in larger quanities (.5, 1, or 5 gallon containers).
Expensive, but it matched my Shining Pearl Yellow (Y124P) perfectly.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
color rite makes the paint for all of the bikes here. They have two locations Ca. and Pa.
www.colorrite.com good luck
Old 09-06-2007, 02:06 PM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
I recently ordered the Italian Red from Color-Rite and what I got was more of a lipstick red. Either there batch was off or my bikes color has faded considerably.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:22 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
I just bought a pint of Nason Full-thane from Finishmasters in a color that was made for 2004 to 08 Suzuki autos, color code 73L. Looked verrry close to R157 Italian Red in the swatchbook, of course NOT spot-on but looked good to me... I am going to shoot it on this weekend and post pics and results.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:15 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Also... note that any paint will "change" color depending on what you shoot it over.... grey, white, or a few shades of red... I noticed a big change in color between spraying over white from grey with the little aerosols from Autozone.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:59 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Painting

There are 2 types of painting, touch-up and bottom-up

The means & methods, including application and materials vary for the 2 types

The standards by which painting results are judged also vary

Painting basics should be a given and then refined for each type

Compatability of painting means & methods should be tested before starting on the final product

Preparation is 90% of painting and applying the materials is usually a multi-step process

The selection of application method is determined by the painting type and coatings to be used

I will be doing touch-up, some of it over prior touch-ups that were less than satisfactory to me which means my results will be judged per standards lower than I'd like. It's all what your willing to live with.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:11 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

The paint I mentioned above is quite opaque. The aerosols from autozone do not have much in the way of pigment, they are really just tints which is why you will see "through" them to the primer. The one I listed is spec'd to be shot over gray primer.

I know my urethanes! I was a sign painter for many years, spraying mostly aluminum cabinets with Imron and similar quality paints.

EDIT: OK, so today I sprayed... the red is a little bit tomato-ey, but pretty close in most light. At the end of the day when the sun casts a yellow light it looked the worst. But overall it was the best I could hope for from a color chip in a book...

Also the Dupont Nason Ful-thane is the ****. Very glossy, very opaque, very forgiving. I just need to polish the bugs out of the clear coat. The following photos show the color match. Every part in the photo is original except for the chin fairing which I painted today. I placed it on the seat for comparison with as many fact'ry painted parts as I could show.
Attached Thumbnails Found a paint that matches your bike's color? post it here-101_1407.jpg   Found a paint that matches your bike's color? post it here-101_1409.jpg  

Last edited by supermarto; 12-10-2007 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Squid

joegogto is on a distinguished road
I've found that chrystler radiant red number SF CC 382 is very close and can be found at Autozone or similar stores
Old 02-08-2008, 08:19 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
Has anybody gone to NAPA for paint?

A guy i know who does some body work out of his garage say's he will almost always find a match at NAPA....

I'm going to attempt to match a paint for the 03 Candy Tahitian Blue next week. So if i find something, I'll let you guys know...

Being as the bike is new, i think i will go for a base coat with the flex addative if possible, and then a clear coat... may go with a rattle can clear though... i'm not sure there is a differance in the clear coat...

if i'm wrong, somebody please correct me...
Old 02-08-2008, 08:47 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Rattle can clear is an acrylic I believe, as opposed to a two part urethane, which is sandable/polishable... You can polish and buff out rattle can clear with compound and it can be made to be pretty glossy, though it won't hold up long term or be resistant to as many chemicals...
Old 02-12-2008, 07:51 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Stopped into the local CarQuest today with my rear seat cowl and they scanned it in, and matched it...

The bottle say's...

General Motors Corp
code - 128A
year - 1995

Now they apparently mix the color up there, so this color code above may not be exactly what i've got.. but thats what the can say's...

I sprayed a small section of the inside of my new SharkSkinz lower fairing, and it looks pretty darn close even without a clear coat on it... just a small shot....

I spent 41.75 with tax for paint and clear
Old 02-13-2008, 10:51 AM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

At this point, i am strongly suggesting the paint i got from CarQuest... listed above...

I just finished my paint job for the day... The lower was already primed, so i scuffed it up, 3 coats of base color, 2 wet coats of clear coat, then 1 more coat of clear after a couple hours of sitting... And i gotta say... it looks just about perfect... I do have one very very small run that i will have to sand down some clear and fix, however for the most part, this was a perfect paint job...

All the pictures are the SharkSkinz lower next to the stock rear seat cowl... And since my bike is new, only 13 miles on it.. the stock paint was still perfect... and this was at this point, considered a perfect match...

of course i won't be able to tell you if i can see any differance at all untill its on the bike, but holding them together, they look the same....

$41.75 for enough paint/clear to do my lower, and have extra... 3 coats each
Old 02-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Squid

frijolee is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by joegogto
I've found that chrystler radiant red number SF CC 382 is very close and can be found at Autozone or similar stores
Bumping an old thread to say that Chrysler 382 Radiant Red, is NOT a good match. I just tried it based on some internet searching that found this thread and few others but it turns out that it has a lot more brown and orange tint than the R157 "italian red."

Looks like I'm forced into Color Rite.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Squid

boxs21 is on a distinguished road
the blue one is very nice, combine with stainless colour what do you think
Old 02-29-2016, 03:33 PM
Frozen & Awaiting Summer
Squid

SuperSprint is on a distinguished road
Adding to a very old thread with updated information: I went looking for the 2003 "Candy Tahitian Blue" and the NAPA stores that can mix custom paint have that exact color already in their systems. I had them mix two aerosol cans for me (9oz each I think) so that I can repaint a lower sharkskinz fairing. I started the painting process over the weekend and it looks to be an exact match!

At this point, clear coat is all that is left to be done.
Attached Thumbnails Found a paint that matches your bike's color? post it here-img_3902.jpg   Found a paint that matches your bike's color? post it here-img_3903.jpg  
Old 03-01-2016, 09:05 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Colorite

Other than Colorite's offering, I still have never found paint that matches the Honda OEM Italian Red. Could NAPA be the answer???
Old 03-02-2016, 11:35 AM
Frozen & Awaiting Summer
Squid

SuperSprint is on a distinguished road
I didn't like Colorrite's total cost with shipping, which is why I wanted to look locally first.

So in relation to NAPA, perhaps that's your solution. My local NAPA shop referred me to the NAPA in the area (20 minutes away) that sells custom-mixed paint, which is where I got my spray cans. While I was there, I met a few individuals that are from local body shops, and this is the place that they go to get their paint (which means something, I think).

Like I said earlier, the NAPA paint rep already had the code for Tahitian Candy Blue, which was slick. However, even if he didn't he was able to scan my fairing that I brought in, so that he could create a custom color matched paint.

Give it a try, but keep in mind there are a limited number of NAPA stores that can mix paint. I would call your local store and ask which one in the area offers those services.

Total out the door for me was about $70 for two 9 oz spray cans, a big can of primer, and a 1k can of clear coat as well. Not cheap, but I really only needed one can, not two. I want an extra for other things when my OCMD continues to flow in the future.

Hope this helps.