Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Fairing removal and reinstall

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 11:08 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Fairing removal and reinstall

What is your biggest beef or the thing you find most irritating with removing or reinstalling the faring from the bike?

I have an idea for something but I’m not sure if it’s a solution looking for a problem
So you need to take the whole fairing off.... what part of that process is most unpleasant? Same question for reinstalling it
Old 03-19-2019, 12:13 PM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Compared to a lot of bikes I have owned the fairing removal and instal on the VTR is a snack.

if I had one gripe it is fitting the nose cone nubs into the rubber locating grommets on the front subframe.

i put some rubber grease on the grommets to make it easier to locate the nubs and slide them home.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:59 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
In addition to what kenmoore said, spreading the faring past the mounting brackets while keeping the angle and height right to engage on said pegs and not dragging it on the front fender. The other step I have to perform before and after the faring is fishing the wires to the lights in the mirrors.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:34 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Fair enough guess its just me then.
The wiring is the biggest pain for me... the huge bundle at the front which is the biggest reason you cant get it back on the guide pins... the small space to git my big mits in for undoing or reconnecting the third center light or the turn signals.

The rest of fairing removal or replacement is nothing as far as I'm concerned...if the wiring was addressed, then it all would be a snap...

No a hard bike to get the fairing off..Try a Tiger 1050
Old 03-21-2019, 06:49 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Welp I just ordered the Furukawa sealed connectors to do this So its happening

We will see how it all works out... My vision of it working is awesome..we will see if reality comes close...LOL

Oh And I decided on a 2 connector plan, vice larger single which i think would have been just too bulky.

So its a 3 way connector for the headlight for the larger current of the headlight and a 6 way connector for all others.. Since those are all LED, I can use 22 ga wire making the bundle much smaller then if I had done a 9 way plug.

Im also considering making a mount for the wiring harness side connector. would be even easier if you only needed one hand in there to lift the locking tab of the fairing side plug, then two hands to hold both and lift the locking tab......I think....well pretty sure..ya Im positive Im pretty sure
Old 03-25-2019, 10:44 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Connectors arrived, let the games begin
Old 03-25-2019, 11:38 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

and just like that, dreams crushed....

My Tefzel wire flame-retardant ETFE insulation high strand tinned copper wire order did not process last week ..some glitch in the check out system I guess and I did not notice the account was not charged... called today to check on shipping time line and they said....what order.......buggers..

So now on hold another 3 days for shipping the order....