Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

Changing Fairing Need Help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Squid

Black Hawk is on a distinguished road
Changing Fairing Need Help?

Changing the Fairing and how?
I have the left fairing on my SH 04 almost off but the screw on the inside of the fairing I'm unable to get to. Is there an easy way to access the screw without taking off both fairing including the blinker light? Please send a message thanks all.

Last edited by Black Hawk; 09-21-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:01 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
The easiest way for me to remove the left or right sides of the fairing is to take the whole thing off first. Doing so gives you access to all the screws and allows you to move the parts around to separate them. It's not held together just with screws. There are tabs and slots that have to be dealt with. Are you sure you really have to take off the left side to do what you want to do?
Old 09-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Squid

Yes I'm changing the left side fairing b/c the one on the SH is damaged. The inner screw is difficult to access any suggestions. Thxs
Old 09-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Do you have the complete fairing off the bike? If so all screws are easily accessed...
Old 09-22-2008, 05:37 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
It is too simple to remove the entire fairing, takes like 10 minutes max time to do it.

-Remove mirrors
-remove the four side allen bolts
-Reach in behind the head light and wiggle the head light connector off
-remove the two plastic fasteners on the inside of the fairing below the radiators
-place several strips of Duct tape over the fairing to protect it near the Allen screw mounts, If you fail to do this you will probably scratch the fairing on the metal brackets that the allen screws go into.
-cover the front fender with a towel
- get a small flat blade screw driver to help you get the connector lock loose on the small running head light connector as you remove the fairing. You cannot get to this connector when the fairing is in the nornal position.
-Now stand in front of the bike and stradle the tire, carefully pull the whole fairing forward and reach around and use the small screw driver to help release the small running lights connector.
-Pull the fairing sides out just a little to help get them up and around the radiators and then move the whole assembly striaght forward and off the bike.

Pretty simple to do. I would suggest clearing a workbench place for the fairing to be placed before doing this and lay a soft towel down on it.

Reverse the steps for re-assembly and be careful not to scratch the fairing on the metal allen side brackets. This is why you put a couple o layers of duct tapes on the fairing in those areas to protect it.

Good luck!
Old 09-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Squid

Thank you, all I got it off. Very helpful Thanks again.