General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Gas mileage: woohoo!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 03:42 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Gas mileage: woohoo!!!

G'day gents (and ladies)

I just returned from a 400 km ride (@250 miles) of freeway riding. I was crusing about 135-140 km/h avg. (4500 rpm in sixth) with occasional burst of 160-170 km/h. Upon my return, I calculated my gas mileage and got 55 mpg (Imperial or @ 44 mpg US). This is quite a bit better than what I normally got last summer (pre-mods). Incidentally, I went back tot he short intake runner on the front cylinder to see differently it ran. The verdict: softer and smoother bottom and mids. It definitely pull harder with the long runner although it also seems to vibrate a bit more at cruising rpm. I will try to get both options dyno'ed when I get my jet kit installed but the long runner on the front definitely makes it respond better and pull harder. Has me wondering about modifying the rear one to make it @ 1" longer. Hmmmmm

Back to the mileage situation. Here are the changes since last year: dropped gearing 2 teeth on rear (and before anyone asks, I did factor that into my calculations), added Micron slip-ons. I also tried an oil additive called REv-ER-Up (http://www.envirofuelslp.com/Consumer/). I did makes some calls prior to trying this stuff. It was supplied to me free to try and the chap who gave it to me put some in his ZZR1200 with good results. I figured if it didn't make his clutch slip (@145 hp) it should be ok for me. So far, no slippage and the mileage seems better. Not sure what to credit for the mileage/range improvement but I'll take it.

Question: will adding the DJ kit result in better or worse mileage?

cheers
Micky
Old 06-14-2005, 02:25 AM
Superstock

mikecronis
Re: Gas mileage: woohoo!!!

I would suspect no change, sorry. You could increase gas milage by probably:

1) Staying within your octane window
2) Keeping your carbs and jets clean
3) Going UP one front tooth to 17T
4) Shifting per the manual's rpm recommendations of about 2k rpms.

I found shifting around 3-4k rpms gives me about 45 mpg. Shifting around 6-7k rpms gives me around 37 mpg.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:00 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Re: Gas mileage: woohoo!!!

Thanks for the reply Mike. For the record, I am not obsessed with fuel mileage (if I was I would not be riding a VTR!). I was only trying to share my experience with others.

cheers