Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

My '98 Hawk 'superhawkforum' makeover :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 01:12 AM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
My '98 Hawk 'superhawkforum' makeover :)

Since I first rode one of these, I've really liked the bike. And since first getting into this forum, there have been non-stop cool mods to spend my time and weekends on. Life got a bit busy for awhile, and she sat for a bit, but now I've rediscovered the fun of wrenching on this thing, and courtesy of the forum, have a mile long list of things I'm doing

As she stands right now she has the CBR-929 front end swap done (HUGE difference, especially for the 6'3" 220lb crowd!), with a set of OZ RC-51 wheels.

I finished up the CBR1000RR guage swap a day or two ago, and really like all the added features I've picked up (dual odo, shift light, digital guages). The Ebay HID kit so far looks good as well, and for the cost was a screaming deal.

For the tail end, I picked up the Mototeck knock-off undertail, and did the LED trailer light mod to the break light. Alot cleaner looking IMO, and the great increase in lighting should be a safety bonus as well.

I wanted to slim the profile of the thing down a bit, so in addition to the undertail I ditched the completely useless for me mirrors and went with a bar-end style. Somebody from the great North on Ebay had a block-off plate set to cover where they went and provide mounting for the bodywork. I swapped out the front signals for a set of Watsens, then tied the power leads together for running lights (downside is dash lights on unless blinking). I have an old SOS lighting kit I'll probably swap in to take care of that.

The color is a mismash of red and black at the moment, but when its ALL done, it'll come apart for that orange-black RCV paint job. As I've had things off I've allready started with the swingarm / rear subframe / etc using flat black industrial enamel and a good primer. So far so good! Exhaust is a high heat flat black, and the cans are allready CF so they'll do as is.

Hopefully ending up with a less crappy looking version of this from my other thread:

Still on the list (and currently on the way) is the VFR800 tank (I commute 70 miles a day, so the stock range is a JOKE!) and at some point a more comfy seat.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:30 AM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
looks great! Can't wait to see the vfr tank mod, make sure to take tons of pics.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:57 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Coming together VERY nicely!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:57 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
I LOVE those wheels.... looks great.

J.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:46 AM
Back Marker

malahhaor is on a distinguished road
i like how you did your exhaust. Gives me some ideas. Great job.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:53 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Yep, the exhaust looks real good in flat black (that and the carbon cans).
Old 04-03-2009, 08:04 AM
Squid
Squid

Dnagmour is on a distinguished road
How'd you prep your pipes and what paint did you use? Looks great!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:49 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SlowHAWK
I LOVE those wheels.... looks great.

J.

Me too, I want some aftermarket wheels so bad I can taste it.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
Thanks! Been a lot of fun tinkering!

The exhaust I lightly sanded down to get all the corrosion off and rough up the surface, then hit it with a good cleaner / degreaser. I used Rustoleums high temp flat black, which adheres pretty well! I used the same stuff years ago on my old race bike and it held up great. Smokes a bit the first time you put heat in it, then the smell goes away and your all set.

Got her out for the shake down run, man what a difference! I'm sure part of it is down to the rear tire being more pointy then rounded, but the handling is awsome now! Very flickable, doubly so at lower speeds. Did a few short stints, got off and checked things out, then zoomed around for a bit. Like it alot!!

I still need to dial in the speedo-healer so the dash reads right, and I have the RC's temp sensor on the way so it'll quit showing 280 deg blinking on the dash Tach and everything else works perfect!

Liking the black on the swingarm, so can't wait to get the rest of the frame done. Saw a newer F4i today at Fry's, all black frame, looks very good.

I'll run it for a week or so as the temps get higher here to shake it all down thoroughly, and once I'm sure its all good, it'll be painting time. The tank should have arrived by then as well, so no shortage of things to do just yet!

Old 04-05-2009, 09:47 AM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
That thing is sick! Let me know when you're ready to sell.

Wish I had the time to do lengthier mods to mine but I'm addicted to riding the **** out of it. Its all I can do to keep gas and tires on it.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Back Marker

Malice is on a distinguished road
How involved were those gauges? I've been wanting to do something different than stock on mine since I can't even read the tach at night.
________
ShyRoxanne

Last edited by Malice; 05-01-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
Originally Posted by Malice
How involved were those gauges? I've been wanting to do something different than stock on mine since I can't even read the tach at night.
They were actually really easy as Tweety allready figured out the hard part (the wiring).

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=17351

Words can't describe how happy I feel on the way into work when I look down and see a CLOCK!! No more looking through the car near me's window to try and figure out what time it is!

My temp sensor just arrived today, which is the last part I needed to make it complete. The stock VTR one reads insanely hot on the CBR dash. Swapping them out for the RC51 model should correct that (and go straight in).
Old 04-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
The tank swap is moving along nicely!

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=18222

The more I looks at it, the more I like the new lines, both along the frame and with the new height. Should have this part of things wrapped up by mid-week if things keep going smoothly.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
That is a very nice bike mate.Love the wheels. Not bad for an old fart!
Old 04-30-2009, 07:21 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Nice job!
Old 05-01-2009, 04:54 AM
Back Marker

NAVY8TR is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hotbrakes

Wish I had the time to do lengthier mods to mine but I'm addicted to riding the **** out of it. Its all I can do to keep gas and tires on it.
HAHA ROGER THAT. thats all I was thinking while going through this thread. Maybe I can utilize the long northern NE winters and the 3-bay I'll have at the house I'm renting next year. Great job man. I've been wanting to turn everything that is silver on the hawk to a satin black, what you have captured is nearly exactly what I have been picturing in my head. looks amazing. post some pics when you do the frame and the peg mounts! You are doing the peg mounts aren't you!?
Old 05-01-2009, 05:07 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
^nice man, southern NH? me too
Old 05-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
Thanks! Yup, thats the plan, to black out most anything silver (save a few random pieces here and there). I'll be cutting a black back plate for the gauges too, so that wiring mess in the front will be out of sight later too.

Updated pics for this thread, with the tank on. Have about 300 miles on it now, no problems. Its almost warm enough now for some major painting

Old 07-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Squid

onesickxp is on a distinguished road
nice mods