General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Carbon Fiber or Titanium Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Squid

darylward is on a distinguished road
Carbon Fiber or Titanium Exhaust

Looking for some general feed back on Carbon Fiber Cans.

Which will hold up better? Carbon Fiber or Titanium. I have noticed that most carbon fiber parts start to cloud, chip, and crack over time. I like the look of the carbon fiber better and hear they are cooler to the touch.

Any one have any of these issues with thier Carbon firber cans? I am in the process of pruchasing new exhaust and this is going to be a huge factor on my exhaust purchase.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:48 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I'm a CF fan and you pretty much summed it up except the issue of quality in the CF world. High quality CF lasts longer, looks worlds better, and is even better at heat dissipation. Some cheap CF mufflers are steel cans with a thin cosmetic CF sleeve.

Ti is hard to beat tho'. I personally don't care all that much for the looks of Ti exhausts (except head pipes, yum) but that's just a subject opinion. Superbling came with a set of 2bros Ti highmounts and except for the highmount look, they just didn't do anything for me. They were old and blownout so they didn't sound real good but the Ti surface was still as good as new.

Another issue is sound quality. CF doesn't have the "tinny" sound of a metal can. That sound quality pretty much made Ducati billions of lira and is the main reason why I love CF so much with looks (bling) running a close second.

YMMV
Old 04-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Back Marker

TheRezyReb is on a distinguished road
Carbon is nice, it disapates heat real well, you can grab a handfull of the pipe after thrashing for a while. No experiance with the titanium.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Squid

Ok. For my next question i may have to do some serious searching on the SHF. Who is a Quality CF Manufacture?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:58 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Vance & Hines had CF slipons - I have a set of them, SS2R was the model - they sounded nice by the way when I tried them I don't know if they are stll available or have been superceeded by a new model...

Originally Posted by darylward
Ok. For my next question i may have to do some serious searching on the SHF. Who is a Quality CF Manufacture?
Old 04-21-2008, 05:28 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I just put a set of Jardine CF pipes on my SH. I can attest to the cans being touchable after a long ride. They sound great too. I think the finish of my carbon is better than a friends Sato Racing slip-ons (RC51).

Old 04-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Squid

After all the reading and recommendations I thought i would go with the Leo Vince High mounts. Was looking for Titanium the Unfortunately every place i have called no longer have them and LV does not make them any more.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:49 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I have seen 2 Bros CF last a long time under abuse on a friends 929, and even after showing some minor signs of deterioration, the area did not get any worse. My right high mount 2 Bros CF got partially smushed by said friend on 929. We cut off the smushed part, matched it on the other side, and riveted it back together. CF still looks good, and the bike has been down on both sides.
I also had a Micron Ti pipe on my F4i. I hate the off color metal look of Ti so I painted it Hi temp black. Paint stuck well too.
CF does sound deep and throaty as well.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:04 AM
Back Marker

altosuperhawk is on a distinguished road
Carbon fiber is very susceptible to UV degradation-i.e. sunlight. Keep the bike covered and out of direct sunlight to prevent eventual discoloring and fading. General Motors is purchasing $5,100.00 per gallon UV protectant to coat the exposed Carbon Fiber on their upcoming Corvette ZR 1 so it is a real concern. Yosh used to warn against dyno testing a VTR with their Carbon Fiber slip-ons due to overheating and discoloration. Ti is relatively cool to the touch without the discoloration concerns.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Squid

Thank you all for your inputs, I went and took what i found on other threads and what i could currently find on the market and ended up finding a set of Leo Vince SBK High Mount slip-ons. I could only find
Aluminum. But I have not seen anyone say anything bad about LV's.