Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

been doin work, rc51 fairing swap, ducati tail!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Umm...I'm awesome. Duh...
Squid

shake-n-bake is on a distinguished road
hey man i got a couple questions. i been staring at the pictures and got my mind set on that tail. i just got the cowl in the mail the other day and got the subframe and seat in the mail on the way. what did you do for the undertray and the seat lock? how is the seating position as far as comfort? and what are you planning on for exhaust? thanks man sorry for all the questions, and thank you for your service to your country
Old 08-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Squid

stumplove is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by shake-n-bake
hey man i got a couple questions. i been staring at the pictures and got my mind set on that tail. i just got the cowl in the mail the other day and got the subframe and seat in the mail on the way. what did you do for the undertray and the seat lock? how is the seating position as far as comfort? and what are you planning on for exhaust? thanks man sorry for all the questions, and thank you for your service to your country
For the seat lock I got a release and key off fleabay, then I got the splash/heatgaurd meant for that tail and using that as an undertray. Theres not alot of room in that tail so Im going to be using a turntech battery in order to free up some space. The exhaust....I have yet to figure out....or rather, I havent made my mind up yet. But I am thinking possibly of doing an underseat mount with 2 devil mufflers I had and having some mid pipes made up for me. The seating position I think is extrememely comfortable, even for a passenger. Thank you for the thank you. :-)
Old 08-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Squid

also, if you need any help just let me know, Ill do what I can for you!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Squid

how did you mount the seat and cowl? i just got mine today and looks like there should be a hinge where the whole thing folds up? did you have to fab up a bracket for that to mount to? the bike is my main form of transportation and would like to get this sorted out beforehand so i can knock it out in about a day. im a welder by trade and i have a mig and tig welder at home so fab is no problem just seeing what might need done
Old 08-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by shake-n-bake
how did you mount the seat and cowl? i just got mine today and looks like there should be a hinge where the whole thing folds up? did you have to fab up a bracket for that to mount to? the bike is my main form of transportation and would like to get this sorted out beforehand so i can knock it out in about a day. im a welder by trade and i have a mig and tig welder at home so fab is no problem just seeing what might need done
I bolted the cowl right to the subframe on some rubber stand offs. The seat, I got the mounting bracket and hinge that mounts the seat to the tail off ebay. You DO have to make extensions from the lower subframe mounts to the bottom tabs of the hawk frame. It was actually not too bad. I think a 3 or 4 inch straight extension off the subframe mounts to the tabs on the hawk frame, a drill and tap and bolt and its in like flint. I did have to shave a bit off the upper frame mounting tabs so that the subframe tabs would mount in, but it wasnt that bad at all. Ill see if I can find pics of the brackets.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Squid

heres a pic where you can basically see what has to be made, these were just extensions of the subframe with blocks on the end that filled the gap in the frame.
Attached Thumbnails been doin work, rc51 fairing swap, ducati tail!-img01172.jpg  
Old 08-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Squid

oh the way i was looking at it, it looks like both seats bolt directly onto the cowl and the hinge is up front and it latches right under the passenger seat and the whole cowl swings up when you want to get to something
Old 08-13-2011, 11:39 PM
Squid

this is the only picture i could find of where the cowl attaches to the subframe. and its right behind the tank. if i could figure out how to mount it like that, i could just mount the battery under the rider seat and have a lot more room
Old 08-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Squid

I dont think you'll be able to mount it there because of the hinge for the vtr gas tank. I dont think the vtr battery will fit in there along with the rest of the wiring unless you do something really clever. I know Im going to run a moty battery under there to free up some room. The duc subframe isnt as deep as the vtr is. I trimmed the front of the seat cowl to fit around the tank a bit more and then made a plate to better fit the cowl to the frame.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:04 AM
Squid

well well well, where to begin! Theres been numerous upgrades to this project since the last posting! The long upstate NY winter has been depressing as usual, but super beneficial for my Hawk! Although I loved the look of the RC plastics, rather than retrofitting a busa headlight to the fairing and fairing stay, I decided to keep the hawk headlight and chopped the RC upper fairing. I took the middle section of the superhawk upper fairing and spliced it into the RC bodywork. I must say, it looks absolutely awesome, still fits into the stock hawk fairing stay, and the mirror mounts even line up perfectly with the fairing stay.
Along with the headlight work, the upgrades that I have done include: New clutch plates and discs, factory pro shift kit, K&N air filter, Manual CCT swap, PAIR removal, Vortex -1/+2 sprocks with 520 chain, DynoJet stage 2 jet kit, New NGK iridium plugs, MOTY race battery, and I think thats about it. Im still up in the air about what I wanna do with the exhuast but I wanted to get the cosmetics buttoned up in the meantime. I kept the gloss black bodywork with the blacked out everything else (frame and swingarm, foot controls, etc.) and went with a Honda tribal wing graphics kit from All Out Graphics. If anyone is looking for a graphics kit but doesnt want to spend the 200+ dollars on a Tapeworks or similar company, I would HIGHLY recommend AOG, their products are high quality, their turn around time is quick, shipping is quick, and their customer service is awesome! This kit only cost about 85$ if memory serves. So here is an updated pic. I think Im also going to mold my own Carbon Fiber windscreen, I think that would look trick. So heres my 98 Hawk, with RC51 fairings and a ducati 748 biposto tail. Look for it soon in the VTROTM and vote for it to win!! I have included also, a pic of it after my accident, before this project began. The transformation has been amazing.

PS....Dont mind that the chain is hanging...Im waiting on my MotionPro chain tool kit to come.
Attached Thumbnails been doin work, rc51 fairing swap, ducati tail!-img00317.jpg   been doin work, rc51 fairing swap, ducati tail!-photo-2-.jpg  
Old 02-16-2012, 03:02 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Not normally a fan of black bikes, I have to say that look rocks!. Nice work.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:20 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Aw c'mon, more pics. That looks awesome. What tail section? I didn't see where you said where its from.

For sure more pics. This is the answer to the winter doldrums.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:12 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Aw c'mon, more pics. That looks awesome. What tail section? I didn't see where you said where its from.

For sure more pics. This is the answer to the winter doldrums.
The tail section is from a Ducati 748 biposto
Old 02-17-2012, 07:50 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Hey stump, how do you have leisure time to post when you are supposed to be out there snappin' pics?

Don't make us wait for the magazine write-up. We want the inside scoop.

Oh hey shake-n-bake your avitar is giving me douche-chills.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Squid

aaugsbu is on a distinguished road
Very nice mod. The front fairing and rear tail look great together and flow very well.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Hey stump, how do you have leisure time to post when you are supposed to be out there snappin' pics?

Don't make us wait for the magazine write-up. We want the inside scoop.

Oh hey shake-n-bake your avitar is giving me douche-chills.
No time for snappin pics when theres work to be done, son!