Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

been doin work, rc51 fairing swap, ducati tail!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Squid

stumplove is on a distinguished road
been doin work, rc51 fairing swap, ducati tail!

So I wrecked my 98 hawk about 3 weeks ago, since most of the damage was to the tail subframe and plastics, I decided to do some work and make my hawk a little more interesting! I will post a build thread once its done done, but here it is with the ducati 748 biposto subframe and tail and the rc fairings, its coming together awesomely. I think my next trick will be making a headlight from an 08-10 haybusa work in that rc upper. First pic is of initial fit, second is finished fit. Sorry about the poopy blackberry quality pics
Attached Thumbnails been doin work, rc51 fairing swap, ducati tail!-img00590.jpg   been doin work, rc51 fairing swap, ducati tail!-img00592.jpg  

Last edited by stumplove; 09-03-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
That thing is going to look awesome
Old 09-04-2010, 07:38 AM
Squid

slapi01 is on a distinguished road
looks really good so far!!
Old 09-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Back Marker

swaptrex is on a distinguished road
looks wicked already!
Old 09-06-2010, 06:14 AM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
Very nice. When you have time, could you snap some more pictures of the tail section?
Old 09-06-2010, 08:03 AM
Squid

I definitely will post more pics as I go, got the tail light the other day and the busa headlight is coming this week () so there will be more pics for suuuuure! Thanks for the compliments everyone.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:40 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
that looks great man. id like to see more of that tail aswell.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Squid

heres some more pics of the tail for you fellas that wanted them. The rider seat fits perfect to the tank, only about a quarter inch of gap and follows the shape really good, the top mounts on the subframe mount well inside the frame tabs if you shave off about an eighth of an inch, The lower subframe mounts, as you can see take a little fabrication. The blocks that I have clamped in there are gauge blocks that Im using to get the fit just right. My welder is coming over in the next couple days to weld up the extensions I made. I think the fit and look is killer, the tail seems to flow into the shape of the frame so seamlessly!
Attached Thumbnails been doin work, rc51 fairing swap, ducati tail!-dsc00750.jpg   been doin work, rc51 fairing swap, ducati tail!-dsc00751.jpg   been doin work, rc51 fairing swap, ducati tail!-dsc00752.jpg   been doin work, rc51 fairing swap, ducati tail!-dsc00753.jpg   been doin work, rc51 fairing swap, ducati tail!-dsc00754.jpg  

Old 11-14-2010, 01:32 PM
not-so New Member
Squid

whozit is on a distinguished road
Any updates and photos? I'm very interested in your project. I love my Super Hawk but hate the plastics.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:50 AM
Squid

apex459 is on a distinguished road
That is lookin great. I did a similar retro fit a few years back. I used the stock subframe, Duc 748 tail section, 748 upper, and a modified TLR lower. I love doing stuff like this. Keep those pics comming man...
Old 12-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Squid

updated shots of work.

Ok everyone, heres an update. With the holidays and some other stuff going on around me, I had to push some of the bike work back. I was able to paint the tail and fairings and do some other odds and ends. My original plan of retrofitting a 08-10 busa' headlight didnt work out because the headlight housing was too deep to stuff in the upper fairing. Soooo the new plan is to re-fit the stock VTR headlight into the RC upper. I was able to piece in the middle headlight surround from the hawk upper into the RC upper so now I just have to get a new headlight before I can do any further mods with that. The tail section and tank are ready to rock. IMO, I couldnt be happier with how the tail section came out. Here are some more pics I took as I was going along. I will get to work, get her done, and put up the pics for your further criticism and/or enjoyment.
Attached Thumbnails been doin work, rc51 fairing swap, ducati tail!-img00857.jpg   been doin work, rc51 fairing swap, ducati tail!-img00878.jpg   been doin work, rc51 fairing swap, ducati tail!-img00885.jpg   been doin work, rc51 fairing swap, ducati tail!-img00888.jpg   been doin work, rc51 fairing swap, ducati tail!-img00884.jpg  

Old 12-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Squid

apex459 is on a distinguished road
NICE fkn work stumplove! Totally diggin the black frame. I gotta ask, Modded subframe? or from another bike? Love the RC fairings. Perfect fit on the hawk. Great choice. As far as the head light, I have a suggestion. I found a single hi/lo beam projector light on ebay that I plan on putting in my project hawk. Similar application, in that I used 600RR fairings and mounted the lights in the ramair opening. Check ebay for this light and lemme know what ya think. Anyway, great job man... Keep them brain cells hoppin dude. Happy hollidays bro.....
Old 12-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Squid

Entire tail and subframe is from a Ducati 748 biposto. Mounts similarly to the main frame as the hawk subframe, but the bottom 2 mounts need to be extended. Fabbed up a couple pieces of steel and was able to have it welded to the subframe and then drilled and threaded holes so its still a bolt on subframe and I can change it back if ever wanted to. As far as the headlight mod, Im thinking about using the stock hawk headlight housing but upgrading to the HID lighting inside. Havent decided fully yet. I need to get my A#$ in gear so its ready to go once riding season starts.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:46 PM
Squid

millerwl71 is on a distinguished road
Did you have to do any mods for the RC fairings to fit? Or did they match.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:14 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Wow that is a great job. that tail looks great on the hawk & I have always liked the rc51 swap over. My vote is for the rc51 headlight. How do you plan to fit the sh light on that fairing? Wont the air duct get in the way?
Old 01-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Squid

took a spare minute today since I had the motor outta the bike and stripped down for upgrades to make some pair block off plates.
Attached Thumbnails been doin work, rc51 fairing swap, ducati tail!-img01248.jpg  
Old 01-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Squid

hellride is on a distinguished road
That's a mean lookin' bike dude...
Old 01-24-2011, 11:13 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
How about some more close-ups? Are your calipers red? You may be the first biker to paint the calipers, it looks good. What do you have for a headlight?
Old 01-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Back Marker

HisHawkiness is on a distinguished road
I can't wait for the build thread, A rear subframe swap may be my next big project, I hate the look of the factory subframe and rearsets. How involved was the Swap?
Old 01-25-2011, 04:07 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
How about some more close-ups? Are your calipers red? You may be the first biker to paint the calipers, it looks good. What do you have for a headlight?
The Calipers are red, I knew I wanted to go all black and red with the bike and those gold calipers were going to stick out like a sore thumb, so some high temp caliper paint and some oven curing took care of it. As for the headlight, I was originally planning on going with an 09-10 busa headlight because I like the look, but the bucket is too deep for the fairing without modifying the fairing stay and half a dozen other things. I lucked out and took the center piece off the hawk upper fairing and chopped the RC fairing to make it fit. So it will have that RC look with the Hawk headlight (might do the projector mod since I have one kicking around)
Old 01-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by HisHawkiness
I can't wait for the build thread, A rear subframe swap may be my next big project, I hate the look of the factory subframe and rearsets. How involved was the Swap?
The swap wasnt that difficult at all really. The top mounts on the duc subframe nearly match up with the frame mounts on the hawk. Then it was just a matter of aligning the subframe on the bike to desired angle and making brackets from the bottom of the subframe to the lower frame tabs. Luckily for me, one of my friends is a master welder and had the materials to fab up the lower adapters and weld them to the subframe. It worked out well that I was able to keep the stock frame tabs and keep it a bolt on subframe so that if I ever wanted to switch back to a stocker rear end, I could. The harder part was tucking all the wiring into the new tail and frame. The hawk subframe is deeper and allows more wiggle room for battery and wiring, I had to get a litte more creative with the wire routing but didnt have much trouble at all. With enough time, patience, and beer, anything is possible.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Squid

ohiophotog is on a distinguished road
That is awesome, can't wait to see the finished product!!
Old 02-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Squid

melmsrt4 is on a distinguished road
Love your mod! Would you mind posting pics for the welding that your buddy did to the ducati subframe in order to make it fit the SH frame. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Squid

Jessehawk111611 is on a distinguished road
Bike looks great but would like to ask the rc51 fairing was it a direct bolt on or did you have to mod it some thinking of doing the swap to mine if its a direct bolt up
Old 03-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Über Member
Superstock

justinity is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stumplove
Ok everyone, heres an update. With the holidays and some other stuff going on around me, I had to push some of the bike work back. I was able to paint the tail and fairings and do some other odds and ends. My original plan of retrofitting a 08-10 busa' headlight didnt work out because the headlight housing was too deep to stuff in the upper fairing. Soooo the new plan is to re-fit the stock VTR headlight into the RC upper. I was able to piece in the middle headlight surround from the hawk upper into the RC upper so now I just have to get a new headlight before I can do any further mods with that. The tail section and tank are ready to rock. IMO, I couldnt be happier with how the tail section came out. Here are some more pics I took as I was going along. I will get to work, get her done, and put up the pics for your further criticism and/or enjoyment.
Do you have videos of her running?
Looks nice.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Umm...I'm awesome. Duh...
Squid

shake-n-bake is on a distinguished road
the more i look at this bike the more i love it.
i'm almost tempted to copy this. the lines of the tail go so well with the rc fairing. beautiful work man
Old 04-28-2011, 07:17 AM
Squid

oifdoc is on a distinguished road
anymore updates?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Squid

RRSTED is on a distinguished road
Any updates on the finished product?
Old 06-10-2011, 05:19 AM
Squid

b1m3x8 is on a distinguished road
Are you having any overheating issues with the fairings blocking your rads?
Old 08-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by RRSTED
Any updates on the finished product?
Sorry all, Im in the Army and was called away for duty in may. Im in Georgia all summer and wont be back till November. So the motor sits on my workbench...with installed JE pistons, shift kit, stage 1 jet kit ready to go in the bike.....Ive missed all riding season and my project was left unfinished. Bummer! Will update the first week I get back to home sweet home NY.

Quick Reply: been doin work, rc51 fairing swap, ducati tail!