Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Bar ends stripped

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 02:41 AM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
Bar ends stripped

Yesterday afternoon I finally got around to trying to put on new grips I bought like 3 weeks ago. I started by taking the right side bar end off. I didn't come off very easily but didn't really feel stripped till I tried to put it back on. It would tighten to a point but would not really get snug. It was on there fairly secure so I left it alone and went on over to the left side. I could not even get the left side off cause it was so badly stripped. I bought this bike a little over 2 months ago and this is the first time I am tampered with the bar ends..any suggestions on how to remedy this?
Old 08-02-2010, 06:39 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Have you tried wrapping some tape around the bar end to prevent marring and holding the bar end with pliers as you try to loosen the phillips head screw which holds the bar end on? The bar ends are attached to complex rubber things inside the handlebar. The whole thing can turn even if the bar end is snug. No worries if it does.
Or have you stripped the head of the Phillips head screw?
Old 08-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Superstock

Its a hex screw and yes, I tried holding the bard end still while trying to remove the screw it just turns and turns and turns
Old 08-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Going Mach Chicken
Squid

RequestTheOverhead is on a distinguished road
Do you have an impact wrench? Air-driven or manual hammer type would work. I got mine at harbor freight for like $10. As long as you don't mind replacing the bar end... take a hand saw for metal and saw some metal across the middle of the screw, enough for a flat head to fit in a get a good grip. Then take you impact wrench and hammer (if you have a manual one) and hit the impact wrench to slowly move the screw out.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Mattaua
Its a hex screw and yes, I tried holding the bard end still while trying to remove the screw it just turns and turns and turns
Well it's more than likely not really stripped. There is an insert that goes into the bar that is spinning. The bar end should lock into it so you can try pushing in on the bar end while you try to undo it. Also, if I remember correctly, there is a hole in the bottom of the bar that the insert is supposed to clip into. You might be able to take something like an awl and use it to hold the insert while you remove the bar end.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:30 AM
Superstock

i'll give that a try thanks
Old 08-04-2010, 01:05 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
+1