Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

Proud new 1st time VTR Owner

Old 05-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Squid

mercfwd is on a distinguished road
Proud new 1st time VTR Owner

I've driven a few bikes since I was legally able to drive on the streets of Ga and since I've managed too get some cash together I finally got a bike that struck me as a sick mix back in 98 v-twin lightly fair'ed sport bike. Anyways after looking and almost settling for a 02 honda f41 at the last minute I finally got intouch with this guy and picked up a 2000 VTR100 20K miles (few scratches) with a few nice mods. These are not yet me pics but I bought his bike so I hope he doesn't mind I use his pics from his add. I'll have mine up soon enough. i've read a few post so after a little riding I'll check out some of the fualty points of the bike to see where I need to start. Look forward to becoming a contributing or learning member of the forum. I'm pretty new to v-twins but love the sound and feel more like old muscle car then a new rice rocket but not all the old styling so great mix. got it for less then asking
http://augusta.craigslist.org/mcy/661850932.html.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:07 AM
MSF RiderCoach
Back Marker

radbikers is on a distinguished road
Congrats on your SH. One word: ATGATT!
Old 05-24-2008, 07:26 AM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
very nice choice of bike.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:48 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by radbikers
One word: ATGATT!
Umm, that's actually one acronym of six words

For our newbie: ATGATT is All The Gear All The Time. I know it will be hard to resist wearing shorts, t-shirts, etc like the squids there on the Redneck Riviera but at least get some mesh gear for those hot, humid days rapidly approaching (OK, they're all ready here......). Mesh is actually cooler than wearing no geat at all as it's way better at fending off the suns' rays from your skin yet allows cooling air in.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Squid

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome guys yeah like I said I've been riding for a while still have a lot to learn as I've yet to find any good mountain areas or such to ride only flat a a few curvy places down south between all the places I've been thus far. I'm a **** about gear, I bought a mesh Joe rocket ballistics jacket a few years back best investment I've coughed up the money for. The leather included with the deal was just a bonus, I remember my first summer in GA in a BRAND new Leather jacket from Dennis kirk catalog felt great.. then came the very first STOP Light .. SEEMED like hours before it changed. Good times.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Superstock

pigwings
Welcome.
Ride for a while before making any big add-on/improvement decisions. Then, I'd recommend getting the forks breathed on by Hawkrider. Reasonable price and great improvement.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:11 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Your 2000 will have the old style R/R if it hasn't been replaced by a previous owner. (mine did, and it died on me) Also consider APE manual CCTs. (R/R is regulator rectifier, CCTs are cam chain tensioners) These are the two troublesome spots on the bike, otherwise they seem to last forever.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:50 AM
Squid

Wonk..wonk wooonnn

Well first big let down, but shouldn't be no big deal. Battery died after my first ride to a freinds house for a UFC fight/party. Came out and it gave a good 1minute of strong attempts to crank, But I didn't even think until about 30secs in to pull the choke lever (Slight chill outside at 2am). Also does anyone else Choke lever not stay out? I have to pull and hole it as if it's spring loaded to the max. Seller Said R/R was replace and even gave me his old battery in believe he replaced it out of haste before finding the R/R bad. We'll see after a full charge and a few meter checks. (stators are known for going bad in these things are they?) Is Hawkrider a shop or member here? It'll be a while before I do major mods first I want to enrsu she's completely up to specs. I need to look into how low the stock hieght will go as I'm a 5'5 190lb guy so I don't push it down enough to flat foot it. Granted it's been that way most my life with all my bikes but my suzuki, It'd just be nice to "FEEL" taller on the bike.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:47 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mercfwd
Also does anyone else Choke lever not stay out? I have to pull and hole it as if it's spring loaded to the max.
Mine did that when I first got the bike. Someone here told me to tighten the choke cable. Check the photo.
Attached Thumbnails Proud new 1st time VTR Owner-choke.jpg  
Old 05-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Squid

That's what I'm talking about Awesome teamwork. Quick fix Thanks GregW.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:01 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard!
Old 05-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mercfwd
Is Hawkrider a shop or member here? It'll be a while before I do major mods first I want to enrsu she's completely up to specs. I need to look into how low the stock hieght will go as I'm a 5'5 190lb guy so I don't push it down enough to flat foot it. Granted it's been that way most my life with all my bikes but my suzuki, It'd just be nice to "FEEL" taller on the bike.

Actually I'm a little of both!

Try backing off the rear shock preload to lower the position in which the shock travel resides. At 5'5" though I'm not sure how much that will help. You can also raise the forks in the triples but I wouldn't recommend that unless you have your forks sorted first. It could cause some instability.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:22 PM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
Welcome and grats mercfwd! I visit down your area in the summer at Perdido Key. I'll be riding down in two weeks on my SH. Maybe I'll see you riding around while I'm down. Enjoy the VTR!
Old 07-09-2008, 03:09 AM
Squid

bustd is on a distinguished road
Welcome ,could'nt see any pics but sounds like a nice ride
Old 07-09-2008, 04:27 AM
Squid

Aviationboy is on a distinguished road
Congratz on the ride and welcome to the forum!
Old 09-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Squid

Well finally settled down enouht o write after the move form SC to Florida panhandle. The hawk is for the most part my 100% daily driver. Since I live an hour from my future work spot, it helps with gas considering my only other vehicles are a 06 suburban and 97 dodgr ram 1500 4x4 ext cab, long bed. Well I'm sure I'll search for it after this post, but what's the best /biggest tire I could put on this thing without modifing it. Also I'm far from actually buying some mods but is there a shift kit that's well known for these thing, the more I ride the loser she feels. Most importantly though is the tire I mean I'm seein white in a certian spot and I've been persuaded not to ride in the ride now thanks to a really close call across a puddle.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:44 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road

Enjoy the Torque!!!

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 09-15-2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Brain fart
Old 09-16-2008, 09:02 AM
ReNoob
Squid

Sablotny is on a distinguished road
Nice purchase mercfwd. I had a CBR600F3 years ago, and when getting back on a bike I too almost bought an F4i. Glad I didn't. The Superhawk has so much more character, soul and attitude. My bike died on my first ride into work- your story sounds familiar! I ended up getting a new battery, R/R and battery tender and its been great since then. Enjoy the ride.