Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

My cafe build round II the CX

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:27 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Some new stuff, a seat pan and a radiator grill.

Name:  projectcafe064-1.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  126.4 KB

Name:  projectcafe063-1.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  137.0 KB
Old 04-14-2010, 08:36 AM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
Please tell me that your homemade clip-ons will be reinforced and not run as we see in the pictures?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:40 AM
SuperBike

well I am not done with them, but when tightened they already are stronger then you may think. Considering they are steel. I was going to add some material to the bar to coupler attachment point but that is about it.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:40 PM
SuperBike

So alot of parts on order, a vtr shock, a clutch, mirrors, and a headlight bracket. So there will be plenty of progress once parts start finding their way here.

Today I started the foam work on the seat and started the tail light. Thoughts?

Name:  projectcafe067-1.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  136.7 KB

Name:  projectcafe066-1.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  117.5 KB

Name:  projectcafe065.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  109.4 KB
Old 04-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cornandp
...was going to add some material to the bar to coupler attachment point but that is about it.
That's what I was referring to, I figured you weren't done with them yet.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:37 PM
SuperBike

So today, not many visual changes to the bike, I started the components tray under the seat, made a seat support on the sub frame. Things are going well today I am very happy with the progress. I sold the dirt bike I had been working on, quick sale so now I have a little more project money. The wife wasn't too happy with me having 5 motorcycles, I don't know if 4 really sounds any better though . Anyways I am thinking of running two drill batteries like the one used for the cb project. It would be a combined AH rating of 5.2 does that sound like enough to run the starter to you guys?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:02 AM
SuperBike

Well, the tail light has been glassed in I still need to make a reflector for the inside and build a mount for the bulb. I have been slowly sorting through the electrical bits, I should really just bite down and get the battery issue sorted quickly as that will most likely be the longest step in the build process. Moving electrical around ends up meaning lots of little brackets and running new wire at times.

The seat needs a little more foam on the ends and it will be ready for the upholstery guy. Then body work and some minor paint on the cheap.

Another big project will be the mono shock I need to build a brace for the swing arm and begin messing with angles and mount locations until I find the right range for the VTR shock I will be using. Then once done paint the frame where I messed with it and begin the shake down process, sounds easy right? A week at most .
Old 04-19-2010, 11:11 AM
SuperBike

My vtr shock came friday and so did my replacement clutch. So as soon as my mechanical engineer gets back to me about shock location I will begin building the rear suspension. Thats right I got "people." At least that way first shot will get me close to correct and I can make little fiddle adjustments after that.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:26 AM
icafe
Squid

acid is on a distinguished road
gotta say great build!!!

I have built a few care racers back in the day.. My friends talked me out of doing something with a cx500..

I regret that everytime I come across your pics.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:26 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
looking good. my only question is if you are moving the shock too far forward it might create a fair bit of flex in the swing arm.. that one was intended to be supported at both ends.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:08 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by lazn
looking good. my only question is if you are moving the shock too far forward it might create a fair bit of flex in the swing arm.. that one was intended to be supported at both ends.
I am going to build a sturdy swing arm brace. I expect without it it would flex because the shock is on one side. So yes. Figuring the angle out will be the challenge though.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:35 PM
SuperBike

well after a bit of trial and error I have found a spot for the shock that gets be about an 1 1/2 in of sag. With me, and a bike without any fluids. So I am hoping that the fluids make up the difference in weight between my sister and I pretty close. Pre load is on the lowest setting so if you are lighter then 120 lbs soaking wet too bad for you . Also if you are heavier, and most of us are there is some wiggle room then. Thats all I have for today because this thing was distracting me.

Name:  projectcafe068-1.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  55.8 KB

Name:  projectcafe069.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  132.1 KB

Name:  projectcafe070-1.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  126.1 KB
Old 04-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
You know an F4i shock is a bit shorter, has a lighter spring and a remote reservoar with a bit more adjustability... Should be spot on for your sister... Shouldn't be to expensive either...
Old 04-20-2010, 05:05 PM
SuperBike

yeah, now I want one of those . Shoot, well I think I will try it with this shock and if it still doesn't work great I will fall back to an f4i shock. Seems like around $40 or so. Thanks Tweety.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:32 PM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

VTS is on a distinguished road
Corn, I think I have a good F4i shock available for that price range when and if the time comes for you to need one.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:35 PM
SuperBike

thanks VTS I will let you know it shouldn't be more then a month or two.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:08 AM
SuperBike

Hey VTS, looks like I will need the f4 shock, how much shorter then a vtr shock is it? I need something about an inch shorter. I cannot find a way to have the shock mounted at the right location on the swing arm and still clear the air filter so shorter would give me more options. Let me know thanks.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:40 PM
SuperBike

I buttoned the seat up, it mounts nicely, better than "Little Horse" actually. I still need to build an electronics tray, and mount the cowl. Then I can begin the wiring.

I also finished installing the clutch, and clutch cover. In the process I found the clutch cable was obscenely stiff so out it went since the clutch from ebay came with another cable that seems almost brand new. Now the clutch pull is very nice not too hard to pull either, so that will make my sis happy.

I determined I will need an f4 shock, in the process of working that out with VTS right now.

Motorcycles have an energy about them for me, they speak to me. Some of them louder then others. The cx is definitely different for me, when I grab the handlebars I can feel its thoughts, unlike "Little Horse." For Little Horse all it took was running may hands down the tank seat and cowl for her to begin claiming a hold my mind, she whispers little nothings about twisty roads, and her passion to become one with them. The cx is has an adolescent soul for now. Talking to me about dirty things she knows nothing about yet. Begging me to revive her from a abusive past. She is thankful to be handled with care even though the work has taken things away. Some day maybe I will be able to resist the calling of the saddened bike laying rusting outside, forgotten to everyone, but that day is not today, and neither is tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:03 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cornandp
Motorcycles have an energy about them for me, they speak to me. Some of them louder then others. The cx is definitely different for me, when I grab the handlebars I can feel its thoughts, unlike "Little Horse." For Little Horse all it took was running may hands down the tank seat and cowl for her to begin claiming a hold my mind, she whispers little nothings about twisty roads, and her passion to become one with them. The cx is has an adolescent soul for now. Talking to me about dirty things she knows nothing about yet. Begging me to revive her from a abusive past. She is thankful to be handled with care even though the work has taken things away. Some day maybe I will be able to resist the calling of the saddened bike laying rusting outside, forgotten to everyone, but that day is not today, and neither is tomorrow.
corn, I think you're spending a little too much time in the shop.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Cigar Officianado
Squid

Stogey is on a distinguished road
Juicy tidbits of literature

Maybe you should consider writing a book or some motorcycle poetry that will inspire. There are some very passionate motorcycle books out there. Just keep a running record of your thoughts.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:57 PM
JPP
Superstock

JPP is on a distinguished road
Wow.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:54 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
corn, I think you're spending a little too much time in the shop.
nah, just thought I would share some of the thoughts rattling around up there.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:40 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I get it entirely.

Ever read "Jupiter's Travels?" I first ran across that book when I was living in Kenya.. It felt like talking to an old friend.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:44 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Sorry, I just couldn't resist a ribbing. Your passion is greatly appreciated.

But I still don't understand why the guy that built the red CX cafe racer left the centerstand on it.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:00 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by lazn
I get it entirely.

Ever read "Jupiter's Travels?" I first ran across that book when I was living in Kenya.. It felt like talking to an old friend.
I haven't but maybe I should check it out.

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Sorry, I just couldn't resist a ribbing. Your passion is greatly appreciated.

But I still don't understand why the guy that built the red CX cafe racer left the centerstand on it.
I was bewildered by that too.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Squid

dean is on a distinguished road
i like the build. just passing something along to you. i know someone who is doing something similar and they are using a silverwing swingarm (which is a mono-shock arm) and a sv650 shock. they aren't mounting theirs on the side. they are using the mono-shock location of the arm and welding the attaching point to the backbone. i've seen it already completed and there's plenty of room. hope that helps some.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:03 PM
SuperBike

I wanted to keep the bike slightly asymmetrical thus the side mount shock instead. The shock is supposed to be a focal point and it is more visible.

I worked on the wiring today, as well as mounting an LED tail light in. The LED tail is cool, I am not sure what car it is out of but the circuit board is built into the light panel so it makes it so I don't need to find a place for the board to mount too. It just saves me time and is really trick. I made a new sub harness for all of the indicator lights as well.

I also finished the sub frame, all the welding and mounts are done for the seat and cowl. I threw some paint on it, things are looking good. I am going to mount the R/R under the cowl in the open air for extra cooling (always good).

My material for the headers will be here on Monday. So the list of big projects left: exhaust, swing arm brace, f4i shock mount up, and battery mounts and wiring. Stay tuned things will happen fast. More pics coming soon too.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:47 AM
Squid

dean is on a distinguished road
i only mentioned the gl swingarm because i thought i had briefly read (as i skimmed looking at the pics) that your shock wasn't working and you were going to have to find a different one. since i know someone who went that direction and it worked... thought i'd pass it on.

but the main reason is i'm not entirely sure a cx swingarm is up to that job. it might be, but i do know that the gl swingarms (that are mono-shocks) are thicker. many people suggest reinforcing a swingarm when making it do a duty it wasn't designed for. a great example i found is of a goldwing that was monoshocked. here's a link to the post showing what he did.
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtop...221854#p221854

i think your bike looks great. and you have many more skills than i do. just passing that along because you said you're making it for your sister. i'd hate to make something for my sister that looks great, but isn't as safe as it should be.

regardless of what you do, i have this thread bookmarked so i can see how it comes out. i'm pretty sure it'll make my top 5 best looking cx list. can't tell you how bad i wish i had your skills. good luck.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:39 AM
SuperBike

yeah, thanks for the thew link the info is very helpful I appreciate it, his setup looks really nice too. I was planning on placing the shock in the best position which we are working on finding then I will build a swing arm brace. The original swingarm is fairly stout to begin with. I think with a centered mono shock it would hold up ok but with it off to the side I am more concerned with twisting. I have a f4i shock coming from VTS, when it gets here I should be able to begin mounting it up then forming the brace. I cant wait.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:35 PM
SuperBike

Well, I got tired of trying to make all the parts for the tail and cowl. So I am putting the original seat back on.

Name:  IMG_0095.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  160.6 KB

Quick Reply: My cafe build round II the CX