Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

My Cafe Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:54 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cornandp
I don't have any idea what to even try concerning the oil leak. I know I could leave it but it drips on my shoe when riding. There is nothing I hate more then a problem I have no idea how to fix.

The tank is a pretty simple fix, re seal it... again...wait for leaks then repaint after I am confident it isn't leaking any more.

Oh and there is still a vibration which I am beginning to think is because the rear shocks are no longer functioning anymore.
oh hell, that's simple . Take your shoe off. lol

These are the times that try mens souls, huh. But these are to be expected when you are in the initial stages running it. Actually, if everything worked perfectly, it would be extraordinary.

you can tell exactly where the oil is coming from right, so you can't be too far away from the source. Something missing, wrong size o ring, surfaces not mating. I'll be up to fix it out this evening. Make sure you have some beer chilled.

Be cool, you went thru the really hard part, and you'll work through these little PIAs. Have a beer, sit back and look at til you get bored and then tear into again.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
oh hell, that's simple . Take your shoe off. lol
Better yet! Add a small metal channel that catches the oil before it reaches your foot ant then directs it back and onto the chain.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
...On a more serious note, you did an absolutely incredible job on this bike cornandp.

Sorry to hear you have a few lingering issues to work through.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:44 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
well here is the plan for the oil leak. I think it is leaking from one of the orings nearby the end of cylinder. It is new but I think for one reason or another it is not quite large enough to seal. Thats the plan we shall see if it works.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:27 PM
MotoGP

well here is the plan for the oil leak. I think it is leaking from one of the orings nearby the end of cylinder. It is new but I think for one reason or another it is not quite large enough to seal. Thats the plan we shall see if it works.
great plan! we try to interject a little humor meant to get your mind off these annoyances mostly caused by the slipshod manner which.........nah, just kiddin.
great build corn!
Old 03-01-2010, 05:40 PM
SuperBike

Thanks nath, it helps, the reason I post about it is for some perspective that includes humor.

The frustration comes from having to do it twice, thats all I knew there was going to be issues getting this all sorted. On a side note I am considering polishing the ports while the head is off.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:10 PM
MotoGP

Thanks nath, it helps, the reason I post about it is for some perspective that includes humor.

The frustration comes from having to do it twice, thats all I knew there was going to be issues getting this all sorted. On a side note I am considering polishing the ports while the head is off.
good idea on polishing the ports, oh yeah!
Old 03-01-2010, 07:13 PM
SuperBike

making lemons frome lemonade ...

don't correct me its right lol...
Old 03-01-2010, 08:21 PM
MotoGP

sounds right to me.hahaha

If you're going to polish ports, you may want to also sand that head on glass or other straight surface. It doesn't take too much time. Now quit BS-ing and get er done!
Old 03-02-2010, 11:56 AM
SuperBike

I may be picking up a couple of free bikes donor projects soon.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Ha, a project like this is never complete. I just got K&N pods in the mail yesterday for my YamaCafe. I've been running just a layer of window screen to keep the big stuff out for the last year.

Great job on yours though. Your paint looks a lot better than my rattle can flat black. I will be resolving that issue this spring as soon as it's warm enough to paint again. I'll probably go with a yellow or red...whatever's available in Duplicolor Paint Shop quarts.

I'll be practicing on the Superchicken track skins first to perfect my skillz! hehehe

Have you thought about pressure testing the tank before you paint it again?
Old 03-02-2010, 03:57 PM
SuperBike

yeah, I thought about it, but right now the spots are small enough the painter can touch them up seamlessly but if I ran pressure I am afraid it would spread the bubbles even more. I should have pressure tested it before it had anything on it. But I figured between checking for leaks when full and then sealing it with the kreem product I thought it would be ok. Sucks when you are wrong though huh. I guess since it is my first custom build, a couple of lessons learned the hard way.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:11 AM
SuperBike

so the oil leak is not leaking right now fingers crossed it will stay that way. I had take the head off again and change the stock o-ring out for a larger one. It was both thicker and larger in diameter. This made a problem too I had to drill the head gasket out for clearance then I took the same drill bit spun it in reverse on the head where the dished section was for the original o-ring that way it put a small chamfer around the edge to give something for the larger o-ring to set to. Kinda in new territory that is why I am still waiting to announce it is fixed for sure.

Also synced the carbs today. They were a little out so hopefully that will go a long way to help in getting rolling since the bottom end is pretty flat.

Waiting to see if my tank is really sealed but that could take a while to see so I will keep you guys updated.

I am in BOTM on the sohc forum we shall see what happens lots of great competition.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:11 PM
SuperBike

So I know I said I was "done" but I keep finding things to do. Like the fork brace I am making. So shoot bummer (sarcasm) I guess I am still not done . I will have pics tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Back Marker

toy4xchris is on a distinguished road
Sweet welcome to the club of never finished projects that you thought you finished several times and years ago....
Old 03-09-2010, 08:06 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Up until 25 years ago (and a divorce) I had a 1959 Porsche 356A coupe for 9 years. There was something to do on that car almost every week. Adjusting the idle mixture on the twin Zeniths was a monthly duty. But it sure was fun.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:18 AM
SuperBike

Fork Brace

So it was a real pain to build with the tools I have. a mill would have made this job a breeze. Anyways it turned out nicely I think, a little sanding and polish and it would look perfect. It really strengthened the forks, now I can't get them to twist like I could before.

Name:  projectcafe009-2.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  60.8 KB

Name:  projectcafe006-1.jpg
Size:  84.5 KB

Name:  projectcafe007-1.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  66.3 KB

Name:  projectcafe005-1.jpg
Size:  75.5 KB
Old 03-10-2010, 09:35 AM
MotoGP

dam, you're good. looks nice except for the absence of protectors....I know, you'll never need them cause you'll always be ahead of everyone. hahaha
Old 03-16-2010, 09:01 AM
SuperBike

help?

alrighty so I am looking to bounce a few ideas off of the perverbial brain. I have a weird vibration in my chassis still. It feels very much as if a tire was oval an up and down type movement that seems to manifest the most at speeds above 50 mph.

So my thoughts on the matter is that it may be steering bearings. I have serviced them when I took everything apart and they seemed fine. I tried tightening them and it made little to no difference. There seems to me to be a possibility of play in the front but strangly in corners it feels really solid which also makes me think it isn't steering bearings. Yesterday I used the string method to make sure the rear wheel was aligned, and found it was off a bit so I fixed that then rode the bike around the block. First impression was that it was not as bad, but it was still there. I haven't checked the rear wheel yet to make sure it is round and not oval. I guess that is next. Any ideas or clever ways for me to start checking possibilities off of my list?
Old 03-16-2010, 11:00 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
is the chain free? You could have a hard spot that is causing the suspension to move about when that forse manifests itself. Just and idea besides the tire.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach
is the chain free? You could have a hard spot that is causing the suspension to move about when that forse manifests itself. Just and idea besides the tire.
+1, when I put a new chain on my SH it lost a lot of unwanted vibs!
Old 03-16-2010, 12:07 PM
MotoGP

you definitely should check the wheels to see if they're true. Of course this should have been done pre-tires, but it can be done rather easily by making a jig with a pointer, high enough that you can look at mid point from top to bottom(measure mid-point). Then just turn it around and use it for front. Check the up and down alignment first(out of round) and then the side to side. If a wheel is out a little. you may be able to tighten some spokes/loosen others, but deflate the tires before adjusting spokes. I did this to my dual sport enough and got it pretty close, enough to eliminate most of the vibs. But when it's time to change tires, both are going into the vice for alignment before mounting new tires.

I assume you had the vibs before the brace install.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:12 PM
SuperBike

I checked a few more things and found the rear tire was oval with an overall deflection of about 3/16 to a 1/4r in . Funny the rim was not oval though. I messed with the spokes for a little bit and that made no change. Then I beat the tire with a rubber mallet for a few rotations and directly on the high spot, bam right away it was within less then an 1/8 some more hammering and then only a few high spots. Back to the spokes and an hour and a half later I have worked the tire into less then a 1/16 in deflection in diameter overall. I haven't tested it yet. Both wheels are true side to side, or where at least before I started messing with the rear wheel. Think this was my problem?
Old 03-16-2010, 01:59 PM
MotoGP

I checked a few more things and found the rear tire was oval with an overall deflection of about 3/16 to a 1/4r in . Funny the rim was not oval though. I messed with the spokes for a little bit and that made no change. Then I beat the tire with a rubber mallet for a few rotations and directly on the high spot, bam right away it was within less then an 1/8 some more hammering and then only a few high spots. Back to the spokes and an hour and a half later I have worked the tire into less then a 1/16 in deflection in diameter overall. I haven't tested it yet. Both wheels are true side to side, or where at least before I started messing with the rear wheel. Think this was my problem?
I believe I mentioned a while back to check the tire line around the rim on both sides and you said you did and they were okay.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:06 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by nath981
I believe I mentioned a while back to check the tire line around the rim on both sides and you said you did and they were okay.

yes you did , seems I need to be told things at least twice. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice so hopefully I can test things out again. I may have misread what you meant before. I had checked the rim for how true it was both ways also at first I was looking at the front being the problem so forgive my slowness. "It feels like an ovaled wheel...duuuurrrr....it is an ovaled wheel."
Old 03-16-2010, 07:47 PM
MotoGP

yes you did , seems I need to be told things at least twice. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice so hopefully I can test things out again. I may have misread what you meant before. I had checked the rim for how true it was both ways also at first I was looking at the front being the problem so forgive my slowness. "It feels like an ovaled wheel...duuuurrrr....it is an ovaled wheel."
attention to detail there young man!! hahaha........yeah, I've let the air out 3 times before i got those lines even. well it looks you may have found the problem anyway, and you probably learned a lesson in the process, maybe a couple lessons, huh.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:15 AM
SuperBike

Tests confirmed that it was/is the problem. At least there is no vibes up to 55 mph which was the sweets spot for it before. I wasn't able to get the tire perfect but I think it is close enough. At least if t comes back I know where to start. So I think I can move on to the girls and bike photo shoot .
Old 03-18-2010, 11:11 AM
MotoGP

Tests confirmed that it was/is the problem. At least there is no vibes up to 55 mph which was the sweets spot for it before. I wasn't able to get the tire perfect but I think it is close enough. At least if t comes back I know where to start. So I think I can move on to the girls and bike photo shoot .
did you remove valve stem, break loose from rim, lub both sides of bead/rim, and reinflate to 50+lbs?
Old 03-18-2010, 05:58 PM
SuperBike

I will try that Nath, thanks
Old 03-18-2010, 06:16 PM
MotoGP

I will try that Nath, thanks
not the valve stem but the valve gut. sorry for the mistake. If you don't get everything loose and lubed and turn the wheel so that the tire/tube is not drooping, and watch it as you air it up. They can be a bitch sometimes if you don't do everthing right/

Quick Reply: My Cafe Build