Front end all done...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Front end all done...

Full size images in the gallery...

Just showing the results of my front end swap...

I think I might keep the black fender and combine it with a black hugger... I kinda like the look for some reason... Altough at first I was dead set on re-painting it...
Attached Thumbnails Front end all done...-image2t.jpg   Front end all done...-image3t.jpg   Front end all done...-image5t.jpg   Front end all done...-image6t.jpg   Front end all done...-image4t.jpg  

Last edited by Tweety; 03-09-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:06 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety

I think I might keep the black fender and combine it with a black hugger... I kinda like the look for some reason... Altough at first I was dead set on re-painting it...
Nice job! How much steering lock did U loose and fairing trimming req'd, if any? How about some braided SS lines all around, a Penske 2 or 3-way or Ohlins shock, some pretty & light cans and real sticky new doughnuts? Also, please get some BLACK zip ties!

R the P206 indicators LED & cheap?
Old 03-09-2008, 03:50 PM
MotoGP

Those are brand spanking new Pilot Power 2CT's with less than 50km's on them... Just mucky from the gravel driveway on my test runs... My baby needs a bath...

No trimming required apart from at the radiator filler cap (otherwise it bulges out...) Just lifted the front with a 4-5 mm thick piece of cut rubber hose at the mirror mounts...

I lost very little steering lock, a few degrees, mayby 3-4? I just added some 1 mm thick pieces of alu sheet at the stops...

The white zip-tie was the only one long enough at the time, and I needed it for the brake line to clear the inner fairing... It's been swapped now...

SS lines and an Öhlins shock is on the wishlist... I'm still a part time student dammit...

The indicators aren't LED, but clear with a yellow bulb hidden behind a reflector, dirt cheap and looks good... I picked them up at the local Peugot dealer for less than 5 USD for the pair, I think... Just left the stock black grommet in the hole and pushed them in, fits perfectly...

As for the pipes... I like the sound of them with full bafflectomy, and it passes by the local fuzz unnoticed... The 2bros I had on before got me pulled over on regular basis (local noise laws... )
Old 03-09-2008, 05:36 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety

I was the same way at first. I left the fender black and I like it now.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Back Marker

GeMs is on a distinguished road
Same here.. I was looking for a Yellow fender, but it goes well with the Yellow/Black scheme. Notice any difference yet in the front end?
Old 03-09-2008, 07:37 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by GeMs
Same here.. I was looking for a Yellow fender, but it goes well with the Yellow/Black scheme. Notice any difference yet in the front end?
HUGE!!!

The stock front end would dive under braking, and regularily bottom out...
The front would skip around in a corner, fighting for grip and making me nervous...
Trailbraking felt nervous, and re-applying brake in a turn was a BAD idea...

Racetech springs and valves dampened the dive tendencies and stopped it from bottoming out... The skipping was less dramatic, but the front still flexed/snaked in a way that made me decidedly nervous...

Now it doesn't dive... It compresses... Slow and smooth compression that feels in control, it still feels lively and fights for grip, but it's completely undramatic in comparasion... The bike lets me know what's going on, not scaring the crap out of me snaking/flexing in mid turn...
Trailbaking is a cinch as I can modulate the brakes a lot better... re-applying pressure is still a bit scary, but entirely possible...

Only now I have to watch my braking the opposite way, it's damned easy to overpower the front tire with these brakes... Or do an involuntary stoppie...

Once I had the tires warm, I found my self going hot into the corners, just for the fun of it... One big sappy grin plastered on my face...

Only downside is I now realize how harsh the rear is...
Old 03-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Back Marker

GeMs is on a distinguished road
How do you have them set?
Old 03-09-2008, 07:43 PM
MotoGP

Base setup so far, from the manual... I haven't got that many miles in yet... I'm working on it...
Old 03-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Okay, which clip-ons are those?
Old 03-09-2008, 10:27 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Convertibars. I got a pair in the garage. Couldn't figure out how to make 'em fit me right without cutting the fairing, which I wasn't ready to do. In the meantime I've gotten used to the stockers and like them.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:28 AM
MotoGP

Convertibars is correct... To have them fit I have trimmed the length of the standing tube... Otherwise it would hit the inside of the fairing as I set mine up to be slightly wider than the fork tubes... As it is now I have about the same height as stock, and I can adjust +/- one inch or so on the clip-on, but then I start hitting stuff on the fairing...

Tho with my height I actually like the standard position... only made it a bit wider and less angled to spare my wrists...
Old 03-10-2008, 04:09 AM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
It looks great! and I like the black fender. I don't remember which front end you chose. Could you refresh my memory. Thanks and have fun.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:53 AM
Back Marker

StoneJrW is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
Convertibars. I got a pair in the garage. Couldn't figure out how to make 'em fit me right without cutting the fairing, which I wasn't ready to do. In the meantime I've gotten used to the stockers and like them.
PM Sent
Old 03-10-2008, 08:43 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by alive226
It looks great! and I like the black fender. I don't remember which front end you chose. Could you refresh my memory. Thanks and have fun.
05/06 CBR 1000RR parts...
Old 03-21-2008, 06:46 PM
Miss the food at T.W.O.
Squid

truepath is on a distinguished road
wanna sell the goodies from your old forks???
Old 04-07-2008, 01:15 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by truepath
wanna sell the goodies from your old forks???
Gladly, but I'm in Sweden... dunno if you're gonna like the shipping fee's...

I just thought I'd add some pic's of the finished setup including the gauge cluster from the CBR 1000RR

Front end all done...-pict1607.jpg Front end all done...-pict1611.jpg
Old 04-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Squid

Reinske is on a distinguished road
Hey Tweety,

really nice job!! Looks great! The dashboard looks good, fits the design. I'd keep the fender black, looks good contrast to the red. Now finally I think it was worth the effort with these mods... Me likey!

Greets Reinske
Old 04-09-2008, 11:14 AM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
nice work, that looks pretty awesome
Old 04-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Back Marker

epleeds is on a distinguished road
how hard is it to switch out the guage cluster??? that looks sweet....
Old 04-09-2008, 03:26 PM
MotoGP

It's not that hard...

If you have a VTR from the early years with a RLOD fuel light that hooks right up and so does all other parts besides the temp gauge... The sensor has entirely the wrong resistance values... however from tips from superbling and Higgens I found that a sensor from a RC51 (SP2) works well...

Apart from that it's just cut and splice... Get a front wiring loom with the correct plug for the cluster and hook it all up wire by wire... The CBR cluster has no warning light for the sidestand, and two extra wires that you leave unconnected... one for the FI error codes and one for the HESD...

Also depending on your gearing you will probably need a SpeedoHealer to calibrate the new speedo... I wanted one anyway as I had re-geared and was off to begin with...

I made the mounting with a piece of sheet aluminum that I brushed rough and then painted matte black...
Old 04-09-2008, 03:27 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Reinske
Hey Tweety,

really nice job!! Looks great! The dashboard looks good, fits the design. I'd keep the fender black, looks good contrast to the red. Now finally I think it was worth the effort with these mods... Me likey!

Greets Reinske
Heh... I did have a plan when I started these mods...

Not done yet thoo...