General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

all done!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 06:20 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
all done!

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share a bit of enw with my fellow mod-friendly VTR friends. I spent the day yesterday having my new RaceTech springs installed (got the .80's as I only weigh 160 lbs and have no track outings planned). the chap who did my installing also owns a VTR and runs a suspension mod shop (very knowledgeable). Anyhow, we set everything up as per info received from Roger at Revolution Racing. We also installed the OEM RaceTech modded shock I bought from eBay. She runs nice now.

Engine-wise, I have been playing around with the intake runners ("oh no, here he goes again..."). Although I really enjoyed the performance difference (throttle response in lower and middle rpm) that two long runners provided, they did up the vibration level at crusign speeds more that I liked. So, I measured the difference between teh long and short runners (30 mm) and split the difference. I am now running an extra 18mm on the front runner and it gives me the best of both worlds. Not only is engine stronger than with the stock set-up but smoother as well. Gotta love it. I also tried adding 10 mm to the rear one but found no rear difference so I removed it adn went back to stock.

So, there you have it. Although the bike was fun to ride before, it is an absolute blast to ride now. The mid-range response and power on the highway is awesome (Micron slip-ons, DJ kit, modded air filter, aforementioned runner mods, and 43 tooth rear sprocket). Yep, life is good

cheers and good luck to everyone with your bikes.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:47 AM
Back Marker

caffeineracer
I like the tuneable lenght runner idea.
How did you fabricate it so that it is adjustable?
Radiator hose that fits the outside diameter of the runner?

Thanks,

Jeffers
Old 07-29-2005, 11:03 AM
MotoGP

Re: all done!

Try it and you will like it, beleive me (based on my experience).

As to how I managed to do it, I realized early on (much to my chagrin) that I simply could not handle the vibration level of using the two long runners. So, given that the 2nd long runner was destined for the garbage anyhow, I decided to cut it up and see how I could work this situation. What I ended up doing is cutting the bottom 20 mm section from the extra long runner and then placing the short runner into it. It is a friction fit but I persevered and pushed it in there good. I then taped it up good with electric tape (was only a trail and error thing), bought longer 5M by 25 mm bolts to fastten it and presto, an intermediate length runner.

I then went out for a quick ride and was blown away at how quickly and intensely the power came on a low revs. The bike literally jumps out from under you. It is quite a blast. Also, the bike has never been smoother (noticeably so). A real win-win.

I will likely remove the tape and glue the sections together during the winter but for now am too busy smiling to do so.

Let me know how you make out if you try it. I was just farting around but am very very pleased with how it worked out. The bike is such a blast to ride now.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:55 PM
Back Marker

caffeineracer
Thanks Mikstr,

I think I'll pull my short one out today.
Ha, Ha,
And try to match the OD with some hose or better yet tubing.

~Jeffers
Old 07-29-2005, 01:23 PM
MotoGP

[quote]I think I'll pull my short one out today.

God I hope you are talking about the intake runner, lol

cheers
Old 07-30-2005, 01:59 PM
MotoGP

So Jeffers, any luck in the experimentation dept?

JUst wondering

cheers
Old 07-30-2005, 03:22 PM
Back Marker

caffeineracer
No, not much luck.
I didn't look as easy to modify as I had invisioned before I had the short stack in my hand.
I think the best way would be to modify the long stack like you did.
The good news is it got my off my *** to install the fram filter mod I put together.
It replaced the K&N that I was using and seems to work fine with my K&N jetting.
Even up to aprox 5000 feet on Angeles Crest Hwy this morning.

If the Fram filter were making the bike rich at sea level, it would be noticeably rich at 5000 feet.

~Jeffers
Old 07-31-2005, 04:13 AM
Superstock

cdyer77
I've done this mod and its is definately worth the few $'s to do. I have a couple defferent sets of differing length runners for different tracks. Smaller more technical tracks get the long runners, bigger tracks get 2 shorter, those in between tracks get the mixed pair. Definately seems to help.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:03 PM
Back Marker

caffeineracer
Re: all done! / Question for Mikstr

You had rough running a cruise speed with two long runners.

Did you re-balance the carbs after installing it?

I'm wondering if that would have smoothed it out so you could run two long runners?

Thinking I'd like to run two long stacks rather than modify.

Long velocity stack
Part Number: 17239-MBB-D40
Description: FUNNEL, AIR
Price: $17.73

~Jeffers
Old 07-31-2005, 10:04 PM
MotoGP

the bike was actually dynoed with the two long runners. IN spite of this, the vibration was noticeably worse with the long runner on the front (throttle response in lows and mids was awesome!!!!). I removed the long runner in the front (went back to stock) and really was not happy with the response. So, I started playing around at intermediate lengths and got what I have now. Better, stronger and faster: add 18 mm to front.

Good luck

Mikstr
Old 07-31-2005, 10:10 PM
MotoGP

You can always just try the long runner on the front and see what happens on your bike. Perhaps in your case there would be no vibration issue (all depends on your tolerance level too I guess). I can tell you that you will fall in love with the power though